Barber's Shops & Signs.

vox

I came across this article that I'd saved at some time or other (don't know where I got it - it may even be from on here :huh: )

SHEFFIELD LOCAL REGISTER.

Several barbers summoned before the Magistrates for shaving on Sunday, contrary to the wish of the majority

of the trade to close entirely on that day. After a full hearing, Mr. Bagshawe said, the

Magistrates were " de-sirous to secure the observance of the Lord's Day, but

not its Pharisaical observance. He thought no great evil would be done if it were restricted to such an hour,

that those who were shaved, and those employed in shaving them, might have time to prepare for the due

attendance at Divine worship ; and to fix the hour of closing at nine, afforded sufficient time. The Bench

would hold, therefore, that it was a work of necessity before nine o'clock a.m. but not afterwards."

Anyway I wondered how many there are left. You know just plain and simple "Haircut Sir" type places. They all seem to have become "Hairstylists" nowadays.

This is a really old fashioned one

It has a pole although it looks very faded now.

G R Dewsbury

Neil Road.

Google Streetview

Anyway I wondered how many there are left. You know just plain and simple "Haircut Sir" type places. They all seem to have become "Hairstylists" nowadays.

This is a really old fashioned one

It has a pole although it looks very faded now.

G R Dewsbury

Neil Road.

Google Streetview

That's my barber! For 30-odd years I went to Paul Butler at Ranmoor, but he retired a couple of years ago so I hunted around for a 'proper' barber and ended up here. Excellent service, chat optional. My only worry is that he's approaching retiring age as well.... A dying breed I'm afraid.

Not much showing for Barbers history-wise either; can any one add any to these oldies (all listed as "Barber" except where shown otherwise) - must have been hundreds of 'em - where's 1849, 1852 etc etc

Gales and Martin (1787)

William Bowker High Street

James Bright Westbar

Luke Fitzherbert Grindle Gate

James Heifer Westbar Green

White's (1833)

Francis Amory 1 Smithfield

Thomas Dewsnap 63 Trippet Lane (Barber & Blacking maker)

Dorothy Grayson 47 Barker's Pool

John Manwell 93 Allen Street

John Sheldon 11 Duke Street, Park

Isaac Twigg 10 Shepherd Street

White's (1837)

Thomas Dewsnap 63 Trippet Lane

Kelly's (1893)

Isaac Hawkins Station Street, Swinton

White's (1905)

Arthur Edward Pickering 422 Pitsmoor Road

Guest skeets

There is, or was a nice little barbers shop that l found just before l came to France 6 years ago, l forget it's name, but it is the last shop in that block of shops past the Abbey Hotel on Abbey Lane, the owners name is Jack, a very nice and polite chap, l only went twice, it is typical of the little barbers shops you refer to Cheers Skeets

There is, or was a nice little barbers shop that l found just before l came to France 6 years ago, l forget it's name, but it is the last shop in that block of shops past the Abbey Hotel on Abbey Lane, the owners name is Jack, a very nice and polite chap, l only went twice, it is typical of the little barbers shops you refer to Cheers Skeets

Hello skeets,

things may have changed,

but you could take a look down Abbey Lane on Google Street,

the first shop under the block of four is called 'Gents division'

could that be the shop?

<iframe width="562" height="314" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.339126,-1.482276&amp;panoid=WVG1Eqym7d8DvmC25hBL2w&amp;cbp=13,333.36,,0,-3.12&amp;ll=53.338407,-1.481009&amp;spn=0,0.024118&amp;z=15&amp;source=embed&amp;output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.339126,-1.482276&amp;panoid=WVG1Eqym7d8DvmC25hBL2w&amp;cbp=13,333.36,,0,-3.12&amp;ll=53.338407,-1.481009&amp;spn=0,0.024118&amp;z=15&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

What do they call these barber shop twirlies, there must be a name for them.

How many are still left in Sheffield. I spotted this one outside a shop on

Holme Lane. It is not an old original one it happens to be new, they must be

making a comeback. he he

Although I know what the sign stands for , I'm not so sure about the ballons. he he;-)

As far as I know they're just called Barbers Poles.

I think there's another barbers topic somewhere.

I start looking for "Poles" to photo.

And they originated in the days of barber/surgeons, when the bandages were draped round the pole to dry. (Allegedly!)

You should have been in our local "Costcutter" one morning last week vox, there were half a dozen or so laying floor tiles. W/E.

You should have been in our local "Costcutter" one morning last week vox, there were half a dozen or so laying floor tiles. W/E.

First one for the collection.

Pav - Our drummer.

And they originated in the days of barber/surgeons, when the bandages were draped round the pole to dry. (Allegedly!)

The barber pole was associated with the practice of bloodletting.

Bloodletting was a common medical practice performed by doctors in the late 19th century.

During this practice, doctors would withdraw large quantities of blood to prevent illness.

Today, barber poles are associated with haircuts.

The original barber pole had a brass basin at the top, representing the vessel in which leaches were kept.

The bottom represented the basin which received blood. After the bloodletting operation was completed,

the bandages used on the patient would be hung on a staff and sometimes placed outside as advertisement.

Twirled by the wind, they would form a red and white spiral pattern that was later adopted for painted poles.

In essence, the barber pole was a symbol of a noble profession, the early surgeon.

This person helped people become new and free of illness.

http://bleepbleepbleep.wordpress.com/

The barber pole was associated with the practice of bloodletting.

Bloodletting was a common medical practice performed by doctors in the late 19th century.

During this practice, doctors would withdraw large quantities of blood to prevent illness.

Today, barber poles are associated with haircuts.

The original barber pole had a brass basin at the top, representing the vessel in which leaches were kept.

The bottom represented the basin which received blood. After the bloodletting operation was completed,

the bandages used on the patient would be hung on a staff and sometimes placed outside as advertisement.

Twirled by the wind, they would form a red and white spiral pattern that was later adopted for painted poles.

In essence, the barber pole was a symbol of a noble profession, the early surgeon.

This person helped people become new and free of illness.

http://bleepbleepbleep.wordpress.com/

In 1685 King Charles II was ill.

Most likely he had influenza, however the court physician recommended bloodletting as a cure for his illness.

As this did not work (mainly because the loss of blood made the King weaker and reduced his immune systems capacity to fight off the infection) the physician increased the quantity and frequency of the bloodletting.

Within a week or so the King was dead.

So what did he die of?

Was he inadvertently bled to death by his own doctor?

Guest Gramps

Although some thirty years earlier Samuel Pepys had a successful operation for the removal of a stone from his bladder. Sounds like the surgeons were pretty good and the physicians were pretty bad he he

Although some thirty years earlier Samuel Pepys had a successful operation for the removal of a stone from his bladder. Sounds like the surgeons were pretty good and the physicians were pretty bad he he

Surgeons 1, Physicians 0

They have stopped to suck a lemon at half time to see if it will prevent them from getting scurvey with its high vitamin C content.

The history of medicine is itself a fascinating story and as syrup has pointed out in an earlier post the barbers trade was tied up with old madical practices and this is symbolised in the traditional barbers pole.

How on earth could a newspaper like the "Yorkshire Post" be so insensitive as to publish this photo At least 12 Poles were killed when their coach returning home from a holiday in Spain crashed on a motorway east of Berlin. W/E.

What do they call these barber shop twirlies, there must be a name for them.

How many are still left in Sheffield. I spotted this one outside a shop on

Holme Lane. It is not an old original one it happens to be new, they must be

making a comeback. he he

Funky Divas, City Road at Manor Top

That one looks a new one too.

Yes, I've not noticed it before so i am not sure how long it has been there.

It clearly has an electric supply to illuminate it and to "twirl" it round.

That will be on someone's bedroom wall within the next few weeks. W/E.

Not very tasteful decor for a bedroom wall though.

But I suppose anyone with a mind to stealing it wouldn't have much taste anyway.

By the way W/E, Funky Divas at manor Top is almost directly opposite the newly refurbished Manor Top Police Station lol

Here's one on West Street: don't know how long it has been there, but the shop has been a barber's for many years, if I remember correctly.

This is a building with a datestone, as already noted (but not pictured, I think) in the datestone topic.

Here's one on West Street: don't know how long it has been there, but the shop has been a barber's for many years, if I remember correctly.

This is a building with a datestone, as already noted (but not pictured, I think) in the datestone topic.

Kelly's 1925

43 & 45, West St. Miss Emily B Noble, hair dresser.

45 Madame Ginnette, costumier.

Kelly's 1965

45, Shaw's hairdressers.

This one looks shiny new too. They must have made a come back.

I think I know where there's a genuine old one, camera ready for a fine day [ that's if it's still there. ]

By the way W/E, Funky Divas at manor Top is almost directly opposite the newly refurbished Manor Top Police Station lol

Well thats it then, its doomed ! A few years ago there was a cheap booze outlet directly opposite Woodseats police station, it got ram raided shortly after it had opened. W/E.