World War One!

Guest Jim Mitchell

Guest Jim Mitchell

Hi All, I am a medal collector and have just aquired a group of medals to Acting Sergeant John Hanson of the East Yorkshire Regiment. His service number was 12149

which suggests he was from Sheffield. I have looked at the census returns for 1891,1901 and 1911 and ther seems to be two John Hanson`s in Sheffield at this time. As John Hanson won the Military Medal for bravery "which was documented in the London Gazette on the 18th July 1917," it may well be that it was reported in the local press at the time. Could anyone possibly point me in the right direction as to how I can find out if this was so. Part of my hobby is to research the soldiers who`s medals I have in my collection, as well as their family background so it is important to have the right person. Best regards. Jim Mitchell.

Hi All, I am a medal collector and have just aquired a group of medals to Acting Sergeant John Hanson of the East Yorkshire Regiment. His service number was 12149

which suggests he was from Sheffield. I have looked at the census returns for 1891,1901 and 1911 and ther seems to be two John Hanson`s in Sheffield at this time. As John Hanson won the Military Medal for bravery "which was documented in the London Gazette on the 18th July 1917," it may well be that it was reported in the local press at the time. Could anyone possibly point me in the right direction as to how I can find out if this was so. Part of my hobby is to research the soldiers who`s medals I have in my collection, as well as their family background so it is important to have the right person. Best regards. Jim Mitchell.

Initial punt, all possibles :

John Hanson Coach builder 125 Granville Street Kelly's 1893

John Gardiner Hanson Vict. Brown Bear PH 109 Norfolk Street Kelly's 1893

John Hanson 36 Palmer Street Atterclife White's 1911

John Hanson Manager 52 Fieldhead Road White's 1911

John Hanson Mechanical Engineer 123 Brunswick Rd White's 1911

John Robert Hanson Grocer 42 Camm Street White's 1911

John T Hanson Victualler Woodman Inn 137 Edward Street White's 1911

John Hanson Clerk 41 Woodbourn Hill, Attercliffe White's 1919

John Hanson Manager 52 Fieldhead Road White's 1919

John Henry Hanson Assistant foreman 138 Popple Street White's 1919

John Henry Hanson Works manager 13 Rippon Road, Hillsborough White's 1919

John Hanson clerk 41 Woodbourn Hill, Attercliffe Kelly's 1925

John Hanson insurance agent 52 Fieldhead Road Kelly's 1925

John Hanson manager 59 Harrison Road, Hillsborough Kelly's 1925

John Henry Hanson shopkeeper 81 Woodseats Road Kelly's 1925

John Thomas Hanson householder 36 Palmer Street, Attercliffe Kelly's 1925

Trefcon (Dean) might have some input, when he is on.

Guest Jim Mitchell

Nothing in my stuff i'm afraid Jim, which surprises me with him winning the MM.

Dean.

Thanks for that lad`s. I got the information about his service number from Charles Dinsdale who is an expert on the East Yorkshire Regiment, he is 98% sure that my soldier was from Sheffield. "Just my luck he was probably in the other 2%" Best regards.

HI Jim May l say this sounds like a very worthwhile hobby l hope you make lots of contacts in the future, Skeets.

PS TRY SHEFFIELD STAR ENQUIRIES

Guest maximuspip

Jim'

I hope you get to read this. You mention John Hanson of 36 Palmer Street. This is my great grandfather (my mother's g'father) By the time of the first world war he was 39yrs old. He did re-enlist in 1914 but from his record it appears that he was engaged in war work in Sheffield before being discharged in 1916 as not being physically fit enough. Given that, it does not appear that he is the man you are after.

Phil Howling, Woodseats