Sheffield Deer Park Boundary

Runningman

In the Yorkshire Archaeological Journal Vol 58 1986 p 152 there is a map by G. Scurfield on which is shown the line of the boundary of what was once the

Sheffield Deer Park.

David Hey in his book a History of Sheffield, shows this map on p 36 and on p 19 of this book I quote " short sections of the earthen boundary bank and ditch survive even now on the Manor estate "

I have read that it is still possible to observe parts of the boundary in Buck Wood.

Could I wonder that parts may still be discernible as the line of the boundary passes through the green space of Castlebeck then across the Parkway and through Bowden Houstead Wood ?

Fanciful thinking or a possibilty. Must go and have a look or has someone done already ?

In the Yorkshire Archaeological Journal Vol 58 1986 p 152 there is a map by G. Scurfield on which is shown the line of the boundary of what was once the

Sheffield Deer Park.

David Hey in his book a History of Sheffield, shows this map on p 36 and on p 19 of this book I quote " short sections of the earthen boundary bank and ditch survive even now on the Manor estate "

I have read that it is still possible to observe parts of the boundary in Buck Wood.

Could I wonder that parts may still be discernible as the line of the boundary passes through the green space of Castlebeck then across the Parkway and through Bowden Houstead Wood ?

Fanciful thinking or a possibilty. Must go and have a look or has someone done already ?

Welcome to Sheffield History Runningman,

What an interesting post.

I have the David Hey book / map in question and did some "groundwork" for another topic up near buck wood last year.

I must have another look at David Hey's book and map and perhaps, like you, be tempted to go out on another expidition.

If you do go be sure to take some pictures and post them up here with your findings.

Guest Gramps

The map in David Hey's book is a copy of Scurfield's map of 'The Great Parke'.

I would say the old park boundary coincides pretty well with the ward and parish boundary between Sheffield and Handsworth on the maps of 1850 and 1905, so if you can find that on a modern map you should have a good guide to where to look for any remaining evidence.

Sheffield Deer Park.

As someone who has done a lot of research on Sheffield Park and went along the length quoted as being part of the Manor Estate, I don't recall seeing any evidence for any bank or ditch.

The original boundary was probably a bank and ditch, with a fence too. But like many things that lasted many years went through a lot of changes.

I was able to suss out that Sheffield Park went into decline at one point in it's use, then some parts were brought back into use around the 1680's, before being finely diss-parked in the 1700's. While in the reuse phase in the Manor Top area and running down the estate following what's now called Pit Lane, a sandstone wall and an impressive gate was built. I was able to deduce this from ACM S78, which described the gates at Intake as "new" (1685). I also did a translation of this Survey a copy of which is now in the archives with the document. Parts of the wall survived and are still there that form the boundary to the now demolished estate. The gateway was removed to Richmond where it still stands.

Below is a photo of this wall, taken before the demolition of the houses.

And the gateposts at Richmond. Burrows Trippet was the man who moved them He had a house where the flats are. I chatted to someone from Handsworth Historical Society once and he said that they had some sort of record of him getting the posts from the Duke of Norfolk.

The boundary of the park links in with Manor Estate as the other side was part of Handsworth till 1921, the Manor being planned in 1919, so could not include the area known as Woodthorpe when planned.

The construction of the Parkway would have caused extensive land alterations where it meets Bowden Woods. The wood itself was not part of the park, so the boundary would have been where it joins the wood, unfortunately either hard to access or in someone's garden boundary.

Again Buck Wood joined onto the park and if you can follow the edge and see any form of stone wall, then that would be the boundary. But again this might be hard to access with lots of houses facing onto the woods.

Good evening and apologies for the lateness of reply to your posts.

Thanks for some very interesting info, my interest is fired up again.

Will get out there for another look for some possible evidence.

Sheffield’s Medieval Park – a re-examination of its function’, Monday 3 November 7-9pm
Manor Lodge Discovery Centre, Manor Lane, Sheffield

Mel Jones – Radio Sheffield’s History Man and authority on Sheffield’s ancient woodlands looks at the function and management of the medieval deer park that adjoined Sheffield Castle.

£4 to Friends of Manor Lodge – £5 others. Car parking available, book in advance by e-mailing info@greenestate.org

I heard this talk some time ago, fascinating!

Interesting article about the Deer Park in the Sheffield Telegraph, Thursday April 27th by Ron Clayton.

Also of interest I found is that David Templeman - e mail  templeman3@tiscali.co.uk  takes guided walks of some of the boundary.

Interesting...I had heard of the Park and noticed the two columns as I drove past but never made a connection. Thanks...you do, indeed, learn something new every day!

On 12/08/2013 at 16:18, History dude said:

post-5625-0-37444900-1376318609_thumb.jpg

Which road are these posts on please?