Graney Family

Guest lin46

:) hi i am trying to find out were i go to find burials and birth/marriage certificates in Sheffield . i am doing my family tree on my mothers side .

her dad my grandfather Arthur Graney was born 1912 his brother Robert was born 1907 they are both deceased there parents are Robert born 1882 Annie think was about same date of birth Annie was bowler before she married .

i dont know were they married i know they lived at 159 dunlop st attercliffe cum Darnell i have found Roberts dad Walter he married a Sarah Elizabeth knight in 1870 belper Derbyshire they then lived at 22 queen st alferton ironville Derbyshire.

then Walters dad William married a Victoria Ann Corbett Th sept 1846 there address at the time was 21 Victoria st alferton then i found Michael graney i think he is Williams dad i just need to find some more evidence i am on the right track as i dont live in this area i dont know were to go to find out were all these ancestors are buried any help would be grateful as i am new at this lol

:) hi i am trying to find out were i go to find burials and birth/marriage certificates in Sheffield . i am doing my family tree on my mothers side .

her dad my grandfather Arthur Graney was born 1912 his brother Robert was born 1907 they are both deceased there parents are Robert born 1882 Annie think was about same date of birth Annie was bowler before she married .

i dont know were they married i know they lived at 159 dunlop st attercliffe cum Darnell i have found Roberts dad Walter he married a Sarah Elizabeth knight in 1870 belper Derbyshire they then lived at 22 queen st alferton ironville Derbyshire.

then Walters dad William married a Victoria Ann Corbett Th sept 1846 there address at the time was 21 Victoria st alferton then i found Michael graney i think he is Williams dad i just need to find some more evidence i am on the right track as i dont live in this area i dont know were to go to find out were all these ancestors are buried any help would be grateful as i am new at this lol

You seem to have done very well already in finding your tree back to before 1837 when civil registration began !

Robert Graney & Annie Bowler were married Dec quarter 1903 in Sheffield ref 9 c 791 ( see FreeBMD http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ )

Also in FamilySearch the nearest birth of a Michael Graney is 12 June 1826 ; baptised 8 July 1826 at St John the Evangelist RC Church Nottingham parents Michael Graney & Marie or Maria ( its written in latin as Mariae so not sure which). I suspect Graney is an Irish name which tends to be confirmed by Michael's baptism in an RC church. The National Burial Index (3rd edition) does not contain any Graney data which helps.

There is no obvious birth in FamilySearch either in England or Ireland though for a Michael Graney (other Michael's father) around 1800.

My family originates from Ireland in the 18th century but its very difficualt to actually find data there - I haven't after 15 years of research!

Send me a PM if you want a chat.

John

You seem to have done very well already in finding your tree back to before 1837 when civil registration began !

Robert Graney & Annie Bowler were married Dec quarter 1903 in Sheffield ref 9 c 791 ( see FreeBMD http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ )

According to FamilySearch ( http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp ) Michael & Victoria Ann married 14 Sept 1946 at Alfreton, Derbys

You probably know you can buy the certificates ( now its the very expensive price of £9.25)

Also in FamilySearch the nearest birth of a Michael Graney is 12 June 1826 ; baptised 8 July 1826 at St John the Evangelist RC Church Nottingham parents Michael Graney & Marie or Maria ( its written in latin as Mariae so not sure which). This is confirmed by Michael's entry in the 1881 census shows him being born Nottingham around 1827. The one doubt I have is that in 1881 Michael's wife shown as Charlotte not Victora . Have you seen that ?

I suspect Graney is an Irish name which tends to be confirmed by Michael's baptism in an RC church. Unfortuanetly FamilySearch contains no earlier data on Graney in England or Ireland.

The National Burial Index (3rd edition) does not contain any Graney data which helps.

Send me a PM if you want a chat.

John

There is no obvious birth in FamilySearch either in England or Ireland though for Michael Graney. My family originates from Ireland in the 18th century but its very difficualt to actually find data there - I haven't after 15 years of research!

Thanks i did all the reasearch started with my grans marriage certificate she was married to Arthur graney my granddad he was from Sheffield but moved to tameside greater Manchester were he met my Gran they had 8 children my granddad passed away over 20 years ago my Gran is 91 and still living but cant remember anything my granddad was with the Manchester R lol egiment i would like to know were his family his parents and grandparents are buried so would be nice to visit Sheffield sometime to find out some more history thanks a lot with your information unless i can get to studied library and find some marriage certificates and baptisms on micro film to give me some proof that i am definitely on the right track i cant go any further lol

Thanks i did all the reasearch started with my grans marriage certificate she was married to Arthur graney my granddad he was from Sheffield but moved to tameside greater Manchester were he met my Gran they had 8 children my granddad passed away over 20 years ago my Gran is 91 and still living but cant remember anything my granddad was with the Manchester R lol egiment i would like to know were his family his parents and grandparents are buried so would be nice to visit Sheffield sometime to find out some more history thanks a lot with your information unless i can get to studied library and find some marriage certificates and baptisms on micro film to give me some proof that i am definitely on the right track i cant go any further lol

Hi, Just in case you don't know, you can't get birth, marriage or death certificates for the period since General Registration started in 1837 for free even by visiting Sheffield. The only way to get them is to find the GRO reference ( from FreeBMD or a subscription website like Find my Past or ancestry.co.uk ). You then apply either to the local office (eg Sheffield ) or to the national office ( http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/ ) who will supply them for anywhere in England BUT sadly the cost is £9.25 whichever route you use.

Prior to 1837 the only records available are Parish Records. These can be seen at local archives but are limited in the information they give. For baptisms just date , place , name of child & name of parents. For marriages date & place, name of bride & groom ( & sometimes grooms occupation) & usually the parish they live in plus names of witnesses - no parents names are generally given.

Sheffield indexers (http://www.sheffieldindexers.com/ ) have quite a lot of data online ( its not complete though) but for Graney only one entry - a death -GRANEY, Mary Ann (Daughter of Henry Graney, age 4 mths). Died at 58 Sorby Street; Buried on August 22, 1873 in Consecrated ground; Grave Number 10, Section G10 of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.

If you live away from Sheffield ( I do too) then if you put an entry on the Sheffield Indexers Message Forum or Sheffield FHS ( http://www.sheffieldfhs.org.uk/ ) message board someone may do a look up for you on baptisms or burials if you identify exactly what it is you want.

You could also join GenesReunited & may well find other people researching the same family.

Good hunting, John

Hi, Just in case you don't know, you can't get birth, marriage or death certificates for the period since General Registration started in 1837 for free even by visiting Sheffield. The only way to get them is to find the GRO reference ( from FreeBMD or a subscription website like Find my Past or ancestry.co.uk ). You then apply either to the local office (eg Sheffield ) or to the national office ( http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/ ) who will supply them for anywhere in England BUT sadly the cost is £9.25 whichever route you use.

Prior to 1837 the only records available are Parish Records. These can be seen at local archives but are limited in the information they give. For baptisms just date , place , name of child & name of parents. For marriages date & place, name of bride & groom ( & sometimes grooms occupation) & usually the parish they live in plus names of witnesses - no parents names are generally given.

Sheffield indexers (http://www.sheffieldindexers.com/ ) have quite a lot of data online ( its not complete though) but for Graney only one entry - a death -GRANEY, Mary Ann (Daughter of Henry Graney, age 4 mths). Died at 58 Sorby Street; Buried on August 22, 1873 in Consecrated ground; Grave Number 10, Section G10 of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.

If you live away from Sheffield ( I do too) then if you put an entry on the Sheffield Indexers Message Forum or Sheffield FHS ( http://www.sheffieldfhs.org.uk/ ) message board someone may do a look up for you on baptisms or burials if you identify exactly what it is you want.

You could also join GenesReunited & may well find other people researching the same family.

Good hunting, John

Thanks for your help i have been on the website cant find anything on graney only on the 1841 census it showed mary graney and son william mary was 45 william was 19 no one else and dont know a henry :unsure:

Good hunting, John

Hi again thanks for your help i have found Michael graney born 1790 was born in Ireland then his children were born at selston Nottingham and some at st peters Sheffield? i have had a visit to library near were i live and was told that a lot of the names were Latin and Michaels wife Marys name was actually spelt as Marie or maria that explains it also the church in Nottingham was a roman catholic church what happens if the relatives came from this area and ironville riddings ect they may not come under the burials in Sheffield and what if they were cremated and not buried were would you look i was told a lot of records are at matlock in Derbyshire so i will have to look into it thanks again lol

Just in case you don't know, you can't get birth, marriage or death certificates for the period since General Registration started in 1837 for free even by visiting Sheffield. The only way to get them is to find the GRO reference ( from FreeBMD or a subscription website like Find my Past or ancestry.co.uk ). You then apply either to the local office (eg Sheffield ) or to the national office ( http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/ ) who will supply them for anywhere in England BUT sadly the cost is £9.25 whichever route you use.

Not exactly correct...the church marriage registers (original not a transcription as provided by the GRO) are deposited at the archives and you can get a copy marriage certificate from the fiche for 20p, or for free if you take your digital camera and photograph the original.

The archives are closed until late next summer, but the film and fiche have been transferred to the local studies library on Surrey Street and are available, The original deposited registers will be available from Jan 4th