Mystery Knife

Stuart0742

Received by email, anybody any ideas

Tim Libert wrote

I have an old knife that is marked 'Rodgers cutlers to her Majesty'. 4 inch ivory handle that tapers to a then edge at the bottom. The blade is more of an arrow head shape and about 2 inches tall and 1 inch wide. Any idea what this knife point is used for? My guess is someone would use it at a desk for envelopes and such.

Thanks!

Tim

Tim Libert wrote

I have an old knife that is marked 'Rodgers cutlers to her Majesty'. 4 inch ivory handle that tapers to a then edge at the bottom. The blade is more of an arrow head shape and about 2 inches tall and 1 inch wide. Any idea what this knife point is used for? My guess is someone would use it at a desk for envelopes and such.

Thanks!

Tim

My guess is that it has a veterinarian purpose, could it be a horse fleam for "bleeding" horses at a time when this was thought to be beneficial.

HD

Guest lazarus

Tim Libert wrote

Thanks!

Tim

The tool,thats what it is-- is an ERASER for scratching ink off paper or parchment when mistakes or blots were made, they were used in conjunction with Quill pens also latterly with steel nibbed pens, but with the use of fountain pens and biros they were made obsolete overnight., I used to work with a chap that made them.