Travellers City Rd

beemerchez

Took some pics while We was out and about yesturday 28th sept 2010

Travellers pub City rd

Park hill flats top of Duke street these trees have really grown over the years.

Took some pics while We was out and about yesturday 28th sept 2010

Travellers pub City rd

Park hill flats top of Duke street these trees have really grown over the years.

So the Travellers is now a supermarket, that's a new use for a pub.

We have had conversions to a church, (Felbrigg), Indian restaurants, The Woodseats for example, now this.

What other uses have pubs been put to?

We have had conversions to a church, (Felbrigg), Indian restaurants, The Woodseats for example, now this.

The first one that comes to mind is the Neepsend Tavern. . . . .Sauna Suite.

The one a bit further on The Victoria [ Monkey ] is a workshop I think, can't remember it's name,

then there's the one on Dun Street..Oh you've started something Stuart, I think you ought to have

this in the Pubs section because there's many more I'm sure. :)

Stuart,

I have mentioned before somewhere, with a photo, that the Travellers is now a Supermarket.

I have even related the tale of the night we both went in there when we were in our early 20's to find that the average age in there was was about 80, - and what a cantancerous set of grumpy old b*gg**s they all were.

Unfortunately I have misplaced my little link fairy dress and wand and can't find it.

The former Norfolk Arms on Attercliffe Road, is also a so called sauna .. :ph34r:

SH link .. Name this former Pub?

So is it actually a sauna (a Sweedish version of a Turkish bath) <_<

Or is it "a so called" sauna (something seedier goes on inside with naughty sexual conertations) :o

So is it actually a sauna (a Sweedish version of a Turkish bath) <_<

Or is it "a so called" sauna (something seedier goes on inside with naughty sexual conertations) :o

I would suspect the latter

I would suspect the latter

Well if "so called saunas" are an undercover name for brothels they wouldn't be openly advertising what they do would they :unsure:

Makes you wonder how Steve knew that it was a "so called sauna" <_<

Stuart,

I have mentioned before somewhere, with a photo, that the Travellers is now a Supermarket.

Unfortunately I have misplaced my little link fairy dress and wand and can't find it.

SH Link

North Pole , Sussex St ....was offices , now a Mosque

Norfolk Arms , Handsworth .....now a Nursery

Plenty of other uses then, looks like I missed Vox's Google SV of the Travellers previously.

Rose and Crown , Darnall .........now a Post Office ! :o

Wasn't there some sort of campaign on the Darnall recently to "Save Our Post Office"?

Seem to remember that due to cuts Darnall post office was to go but was saved by local protests and petitions, the outcome of which was the post office in the Rose & Crown premises.

....yes , must be the "Darnall Forum" the group set up , and the name is on the sign in the right -hand side window on the purple area....wondered who that was !

What seems ironic to me , is , they are closing PO 's all over due to cutbacks ect , yet this building must be one of the biggest ever , other than the closed one on Fitzalan Sq !!!!! :rolleyes:

....yes , must be the "Darnall Forum" the group set up , and the name is on the sign in the right -hand side window on the purple area....wondered who that was !

That's right, the group of residents who set out to save the post office was the Darnall Forum.

News report said that the Darnall post office was going to close because people were not using it and so it was uneconomical to keep open.

However, the Darnall Forum claimed otherwise, got the support of local residents and got the post office in the pub.

Apparent it now turns over a lot of business so it seems to be something of a success for the Forum in proving that it was economical to keep a post office on the Darnall after all.

...yes Dave , i agree with not closing all the local Post Offices ect , and the plight of the Darnall Forum to keep the PO local - but the one it has replaced was a little converted terrace on Staniforth Rd (as many are) , and now it is in a MASSIVE ex-pub ! - surely the poll tax , heating , electric, overheads ect must be ten-fold the original PO , or am i missing something !? :unsure:

...yes Dave , i agree with not closing all the local Post Offices ect , and the plight of the Darnall Forum to keep the PO local - but the one it has replaced was a little converted terrace on Staniforth Rd (as many are) , and now it is in a massive ex-pub ! - surely the poll tax , heating , electric, overheads ect must be ten-fold the original PO , or am i missing something !? :unsure:

Don't think so transit.

The logic of business finance beats me.

I don't know how they balance the book and all the ins and outs of it, which is why i never went into business.