The Lord Mayors Parade

Sheffield History

THE LORD MAYORS PARADE

Does this still happen ?

I remember going down to the markets area of Sheffield and watching the procession go past, full of smiling (and not so happy) schoolchildren, bands, and entertainers..

THE LORD MAYORS PARADE

Does this still happen ?

I remember going down to the markets area of Sheffield and watching the procession go past, full of smiling (and not so happy) schoolchildren, bands, and entertainers..

Hi Fellow SHs Just thought i would start from the beginning and found this with no reply but the site was still young then, But the answer seems to be yes and we missed it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/childr...al/parade.shtml

Starts at 12.00 today! Just a reminder.

Fairly quiet doing the shopping in town this morning, came home around 10 o'clock to get out of the heat and avoid the crowds when the parade starts.

Unless we get a thunderstorm it looks like being a very hot, sunny, humid sticky day.

Another short film this time the 1969 Lord Mayors Parade

A short film of the Lord mayors parade and the Junior Chamber of Commerce takes the opportunity to give itself a pat on the back and tell itself "well done"

It is very typically June 1969, - at least 2 of the floats feature rockets on them, one of them very similar to an Apollo - Saturn design.

Look what happened just over a month later.

Where was the meeting point for the floats to be judged?

It looks like the old Victoria Station car park.

A short film of the Lord mayors parade and the Junior Chamber of Commerce takes the opportunity to give itself a pat on the back and tell itself "well done"

It is very typically June 1969, - at least 2 of the floats feature rockets on them, one of them very similar to an Apollo - Saturn design.

Look what happened just over a month later.

Where was the meeting point for the floats to be judged?

It looks like the old Victoria Station car park.

I think its Saville St, the ex railway land which became a series of Vauxhall dealers over the years, which is now empty waiting for King Tesco to build there.

I think its Saville St, the ex railway land which became a series of Vauxhall dealers over the years, which is now empty waiting for King Tesco to build there.

OK, so do we know the route of the parade?

Presumably down the Wicker, over Lady's Bridge, up Waingate and Haymarket then up Commercial Street and High Street past the very prominent C&A building, but then where?

OK, so do we know the route of the parade?

Presumably down the Wicker, over Lady's Bridge, up Waingate and Haymarket then up Commercial Street and High Street past the very prominent C&A building, but then where?

From High St either up Fargate or up Church St - Leopold St - Pinstone St - The Moor

This poses the question, When was Fargate pedestrianised?

Not sure after that, I seem to think the final destination was up Fitzwilliam St, the land which is now Devonshire Green.

From High St either up Fargate or up Church St - Leopold St - Pinstone St - The Moor

This poses the question, When was Fargate pedestrianised?

Not sure after that, I seem to think the final destination was up Fitzwilliam St, the land which is now Devonshire Green.

I'm pretty sure it was in the early 70's (1971?) and that it would be open to traffic in 1969.

The Sheffield Junior Chamber had a float and several young men made idiots of themselves on the back of a flat bed lorry as it proceeded in the parade. I was one of them.:wacko:

I'm not sure when it was, but the floats used to end up in Norfolk Park. Back then the park was often used for car & bus shows and the occasional hill climb. I'd guess mid to late 60s and early 70s.

I seem to remember that we ended up at a site near the bottom of the Moor...This would have been in the mid 1970's