Anvil Information Required

Stuart0742

Received this by email today

Good Morning,

I am looking for some information on an anvil that my father in law has recently purchased, it is anywhere from 80lbs to 90lbs and the markings on the side are….

Hadfield ?

and

Sanderson

Sheffield

I

and the measurements of the anvil base is about 10 1/2" x 10 1/2" x 10 1/2" and it is about 20" long and the width is 4 1/2" wide on the top.I am going to take some pictures for you but I wanted to get the dialog started.

Thank you,

Donald Wright

Depending on the age of the thing, I think we're looking at Vulcan Works, South Street. There is a link also betwwen Hadfield, Sanderson and homes on Monmouth Street.

More info. please and a stab at the age (difficult I know).

White's 1852

Joseph Sanderson Anvil maker (S Bros) h. 5 Monmouth Street

Thomas Sanderson Anvil &c. manufacturer (S Bros.) h. Ecclesall Road

Thomas and Joseph Sanderson (Bros.) anvil, vice, hammer, press, screw &c. manufacturers Vulcan Works, 164 South Street

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=7011

White's 1852

Joseph Sanderson Anvil maker (S Bros) h. 5 Monmouth Street

Thomas Sanderson Anvil &c. manufacturer (S Bros.) h. Ecclesall Road

Thomas and Joseph Sanderson (Bros.) anvil, vice, hammer, press, screw &c. manufacturers Vulcan Works, 164 South Street

http://www.sheffield...?showtopic=7011

Nice link, I knew I'd done Anvils, just couldn't find it ...

Some research done by someone on an old tools forum in USA indicates that Sanderson was partnered by various people

"Now I don't know anything about Drabble and Sanderson saws but they did make some very nice knives in the mid to late 1800's including some bowie Knives that today are probably worth a small fortune.

Sanderson was a Sheffield steel manufacturer that goes way back and they joined in partnership with several other persons. I have a nice Hadfield and Sanderson anvil , and at one time had a Naylor and Sanderson knife and like a dope sold it. Believe Sanderson is still in Business in a much reduced state."

source

Two quotes from Anvilfire

"I found this in a Sheffield online directory:

Hadfield & Sanderson Anvil makers Earl Street

Hadfield & Sanderson Anvil makers Wicker

I don't think anyone really knows the dates they were produced. I would guess the 1800's and a physical inspection would have to be done to determine a rough 30 to 50 year span yours was made. This could be done to see if it has a pritchel hole or not. If it has one that wasn't drilled in later, but punched when made it would be probably been produced after 1830. Then look it it to see if it is an Old English Pattern or New London Pattern. Finally look at all the other details. It could be a situation where you anvil was made sometime between 1850 and 1895 for example. This is all just a guess and direction. I don't think this anvil can be dated any closer than a few decades plus at a wild guess.

Hope this helps. "

"This was from and 1841 directory.

Hadfield & Sanderson Anvil makers Earl Street

Hadfield & Sanderson Anvil makers Wicker

Looks like they appeared on the seen within a decade of that date: guess only. Your anvil from that date to probably 1890's without seeing it. Just a guess "