Fulwood Cottage Homes; All I Have....and All I Need Help With...

Guest liamdsmith

Guest liamdsmith

Fulwood Cottage Homes; All I have, All I am looking for help with...

Many people from Sheffield or whose families are from Sheffield have connections with the Fulwood Cottage Homes in Sheffield over the years, and on this and other forums there are always peoples with various questions and queries regarding them.

In an attempt to pool together all available records, knowledge and memories I thought I would start this thread with all I have on the cottage homes, and allow others to add to the thread with their own collections of everything and anything.

My connection is through my grandfather Joseph Shaw Pethers who was resident in the homes from approximately 1925 - 1933 with his brother Bernard Pethers who died in the second world war at Anzio. Their sisters Alice, Jessie, Rose and Ethel were homed in one of the scattered homes at 198 Heeley Bank Road around the same time.

The help I need…

I would be grateful of any information, photos or documents that help either directly with the research on my family members, or even just help build a picture of life in the Cottage homes around the time.

If out of this post, we can also collect together all the pieces of information people have on the homes, then we will all be richer for it.

All I have I give to you…

History of the Homes

Perhaps the most complete history of the homes, was written by Majorie P. Dunn in her book ‘For the Love of the Children’. Heres a basic history of the cottage homes.

In 1902, the union purchased a rural 22-acre site on Bole Hill Lane at Fulwood on which to erect a children's cottage homes development. Construction of the homes began the following year although appears not have have finally been completed until 1912. The commemorative foundation stone for the scheme was laid on 9th October 1903 by the Chairman of the Guardians, William Aldam Milner. Construction of the project appears to have continued until 1912, with an assembly hall, laundry and two children's cottages being completed in that year. The total cost of the scheme was £18,086. The architects were the intriguingly named Messrs. Holmes and Watson of Sheffield. The building contractors were Messrs. Wilkinson and Sons of Heeley.

The children's homes were pairs of semi-detached houses, each half accommodating six boys and six girls together with a house-mother. The initial phase of the scheme provided places for 78 children, with the final total of ten homes able to house 240. The houses were, as was often the case in large cottage home sites, placed around a central green. However, the homes on the Fulwood site were mostly arranged to face south, effectively laid out as two rows rather than forming a circle. The site layout is shown on the 1920 map below.

The site entrance, at the west, had a small entrance lodge, now demolished. The driveway then led to the master's house which bears the foundation stone next to the window of what may have been the committee room. There were stables to the rear of the house.

A single house to the north of the Master's house contained store-rooms on the ground floor with the boys' tailoring and shoemaking training workshops above. A corresponding house for girls at the south of the Master's house contained sewing and knitting rooms on its upper floor where clothes and black stockings were produced.

At the north-west corner of the site were a school and assembly hall, dated 1912, and a water tower which took its water from one of Sheffield's main supply conduits which passed nearby. At the foot of the tower were painting and carpentry workshops.

The children's homes were of two slightly differing designs which alternated around the site. Each semi-detached house contained on its ground floor a large living room or kitchen, scullery, bathroom and lavatory, grocery larder, and clothes store. At the centre of the kitchen was a very large table around which 15 people could sit. The first floor contained separate boys' and girls' dormitories, each containing six single beds, and the house-mother's bedroom. Outside were single-storeyed outbuildings which probably included a play-shed, wash-house, and coal-store.

Part of the green between the houses was cultivated by the boys to produce vegetables for the home.

By the 1940s and 50s, children in the homes were taken on an annual holiday, often camping by the coast at Withernsea or Marsk. In later years, they ventured as far afield as Folkstone or the Isle of Man. Each child was given new clothes for their holiday — khaki shorts, shirt, sandals and a snake belt.

There were swings and slides in the grounds, and sports days were held on the central grassed area. On May Day, a May Queen Festival would take place there. On Friday evenings, each child received a token from their house mother to exchange for sweets at the homes' stores. The homes had their own boys' brass band.

After leaving the homes at the age of 15, some boys might gain entry into the armed forces. Others found jobs on local farms or became miners. Many of the girls went into domestic service in the Ranmoor and Fulwood districts where they were much sought after.

The homes' first Superintendent stayed only for a year, but the three that followed (with their wives as Matrons) covered the whole of the homes' 55-year existence. They were Alfred and Mary Deacon (1906-26), Lionel and Freda Hindreth (1926-51), and Mr and Mrs Harry Brook (1951-60).

The homes closed in 1960 and the site was subsequently used as a girls' approved school under the name "Moorside". In the early 1980s, Vietnamese boat-people were housed in the buildings. In 1988, the site was converted to residential use with almost all of the original buildings surviving.

Maps of the Site

Here is a map of the site from 1920, and also a later aerial photo from recent times

Photos of the cottage Homes

Many pictures exist in the Sheffield Picture Library, which is searchable online at http://www.picturesheffield.com/ and below is a sample of those images.

Fulwood Cottage Homes

Fulwood Cottage Homes 02

and also an image from workhouses.org of the Masters House today

Sources of Info for the Cottage Homes

www.workhouses.org

www.users.ox.ac.co.uk/~peter/workhouse

Sheffield Archives, 52 Shoreham Street, Sheffield S1 4SP. Holdings comprise: Workhouse admission registers (1883-1928); Register of inmates (1904-31); Creed registers (1902-31); Births (1898-1929); Deaths (1903-31); etc.

Memories of the Cottage Homes

Fulwood Cottage Homes

During the same period as the children were going to Glen Howe Park, the Ecclesall Board of Guardians decided to collect together, from scattered homes throughout the city, the children in their care. They chose to have a group of stone-built semi-detached cottages constructed on land off Blackbrook Rd at Fulwood. The foundation stone was laid on Otober 9th 1903, and building was completed for habitation in 1905. This complex would be known as the Fulwood Cottage Homes.

There hasn’t been a great deal written down about the homes or the children, and there is no comprehensive collection of photographs available. The official records of these homes will not be available to the public until the year 1996, quite rightly so as the background to some of the children is quite sad. The records give dates of birth, names of parents, reason for entry and date, the dates of any illnesses needing hospitalisation and also the jobs they were sent to on leaving. Many will not wish to open up wounds to the why’s and wherefores which caused them to enter the Homes, nevertheless it was their Home, the Homes have become part of history and many would like to recall the happy times spent there. The Homes are now in 1988 being converted into luxury dwellings and I had the opportunity of taking two “Old Boys” around the complex, and inside some of the buildings before the opportunity disappears forever. Both boys had been admitted at different periods of its history, Harry Marshall and his sister Evelyn were admitted in 1914, and Barry Clark in the late 1940’s.
At first provision was made for 78 children in 9 pairs of homes, plus a cottage for the purpose of isolation of sick children, another for a store with the boys’ cobbling and tailoring shops above. A further cottage housed the girls’ sewing and knitting rooms. There was a lodge and a masters house with committee rooms and stables.

Later each home housed 14 boys or 14 girls in 2 dormitories and had a ‘Mother’ with her own room. In 1911 a laundry with a cottage was added, plus a further pair of houses. An attractive watertower was built below which were painters and carpenters workshops.
In 1913 the Assembly Hall opened, on March 22nd, and a commemorative plaque installed listing the Ecclesall Bierlow Union Guardians for the Homes. This is now in the Kelham Island Museum.

The one thing the children were not short of was ‘fresh air’ as the location of the complex, on the edge of the Mayfield Valley is beautiful, healthy and very exposed.
The first Superintendent stayed about a year but the 3 that followed (with their wives as Matrons), covered the 55 years of the Homes existence. In 1906 Mr Alfred Deacon and his wife Eleanor, a former nurse, took up the positions and stayed for 20 years. Mr Deacon died in 1939 having raised 4 daughters alongside his foster children. How many boys would have known of the experiences and adventures of their stepfather in his youth? For 11 years he had been in the Royal Navy and done useful work in suppressing the slave trade in East Africa. He took part in the Benin River expedition on the West Coast of Africa and received the Ashanti Medal and Benin River Clasp, he was also present at the capture of M’well.

Mr Deacon’s successors were Mr & Mrs Lionel Hildreth who took over in 1926, Mrs Freda Hildreth also being a trained nurse. In the next 25 years of their administration, 1,600 children passed through the Homes and there would certainly be many changes such as holidays to the coast, and buses to take the children to schools further afield. Mrs Hidreth was born at Oughtibridge, and can still remember at the age of 94 the ‘Fresh Air Children’ coming to Glen Howe Park and how she served them sweets at her Aunty Annie Fairest’s shop. Some of the children from the Homes still send her postcards and she has 2 lovely albums with many photos of her ‘charges’ filling the pages. The Hildreths retired in 1951 and Mr & Mrs Harry Brook took over and stayed until the Homes closed in 1960.
When the last of the children left, again to go to scattered homes across the city, the buildings were used as a girls’ approved school and renamed ‘Moorside’. Finally in the early 1980’s Vietnamese Boat People were housed there.

Memories

Harry Marshall, who I mentioned earlier, was 4 years old when he first went to the Homes in 1914 and so many of his memories would be up to 1925, his sister Evelyn stayed on, married a local farmer Joseph Broomhead and was sewing mistress for many years. Each set of 14 children had a House ‘Mother’ who lived in, she would teach them to do work around the house. As boys grew older they would grow vegetables on the land within the grounds, and were trained to be gardeners, tailors and cobblers. Many were found jobs on farms when they were 15 yrs old. Mr Deacon would try to get his boys into the Army or Navy and was always disappointed when any had to go into the mines. The girls worked alternate weeks in the laundry and sewing rooms, making clothing and black stockings. Many of the girls went into service in the Ranmoor and Fulwood districts where they were very popular.
The children had a playground and used to enjoy sledging on the snowy slopes, one girl nearly losing a leg in an accident. Pride of place in the Homes would be the very large table around which 15 people could sit. In the kitchen by the side of the old Yorkshire Range were set pots in which the washing would go. At Christmas time the Christmas puddings would be mixed in these pots and the boys took turns to stir them. Christmas was a happy time, all being woken at 6.30 by the boys brass band as it went round the cottages. Each cottage had a Christmas tree and was decorated with streamers. In the early days the children received small gifts such as spinning tops and apples and oranges. In later years Uncle Timothy, Aunty Edith and the children of the Star Gloops Club raised money for the childrens’ presents. The Assembly hall was used for many events not least of which were the Christmas parties and concerts. Certainly in the 1950's there were 3 parties in December, 1 each week prior to Christmas 1 each for the 3 different age groups. 1 child would be chosen from each House to go and collect a group present from Father Christmas. Barry Clark remembers collecting a rugby ball on one occasion and nearly giving the game away when he recognised Mr Hidreth in the guise of Father Christmas.

Most of the younger children started school at Mayfield Valley School to which they walked, Harry remembers walking back during the war when a Zeppelin passed overhead. Later the children were sent to Nether Green and other schools, in later years children were bussed to schools as far away as Pomona Street. Most of the children were happy but as in most large families odd ones weren’t, and boys attempted to run away. They were usually caught, brought back, and punished.
In the early days the children walked a lot, in the 1`940’s and 1950’s the children were taken on annual holidays, camping by the coast particularly to Marsk and Withernsea. You could always recognise the boys from the Home as each was given new clothes to go on holiday with, khaki shorts, shirt, sandals and a snake belt. Because of rationing the boys had sweet coupons which they changed at the kiosks on the promenade. Favourite sweets were ‘Barnard Sticks’. Later children went as far as Folkstone and Peel in the Isle of Man. 
On Friday evenings the children would each receive a token from their ‘Mother’ which they would take to the store to exchange for sweets. There were swings and slides within the grounds, sports days were held on the central grassed area and on May Day there would be the usual May Queen Festival. The boys were forbidden to climb the bottom wall on the boundary which led to the YMCA football field, but as Barry says it was worth the risk of being found out because if the players were short of a man yo could get a chance of playing with a real team.

In both World Wars many of the ex boys & girls served their King & Country. There were 2 Rolls of Honour in the Assembly Hall of all who served from the Homes in all sections of the forces. There is a picture in the local Studies Library of the plaque for the 1st WW. The other naming over 150 men& women is held at the Kelham Island Museum . The Hall has been stripped of its stage & Rolls of Honour and is being converted into 5 small but delightful dwellings. The sound of the Sheffield Transport Band will never be heard there again, nor the happy chatter of the audiences but at least from th historical point of view the exterior of most of the buildings is to remain the same.

Mr Deacon’s daughter Catherine, now Mrs Watts, remembers what a good childhood she had with so many friends to play with and get up to mischief with. She feels sad such a happy place is no more and comments ‘ It did cross my mind that if it were turned into an old people’s home I could happily go back and finish off where I started.’

There have been many re-unions in the past but these have ceased, many of the ex boys and girls feel they would like to renew old acquaintances, perhaps this could be arranged in the near future?

18th March 1944, the 249th Fulwood Cottage Homes scout group was opened and had a kneckerchief of Emerald with Scarlet corner. It closed in 1947.

I had a small book on Fulwood Cottage Homes and as always I lent it to someone

but never got it back.

Two of my elder brothers spent a time in the home and it was only in the

last five years of one of their lives that he told us that he had been abused in the

home. I have since read on another Sheffield site of others who had been abused

in the home many years ago.

Happy pictures but who knows what goes on behind closed doors. :(

I had a small book on Fulwood Cottage Homes and as always I lent it to someone

but never got it back.

Two of my elder brothers spent a time in the home and it was only in the

last five years of one of their lives that he told us that he had been abused in the

home. I have since read on another Sheffield site of others who had been abused

in the home many years ago.

Happy pictures but who knows what goes on behind closed doors. :(

Would that be "For the Love of Children : A Story of the Poor Children of Sheffield and of Fulwood Cottage Homes by Marjorie P Dunn? I used to have a copy but passed it on to someone doing a project. I've checked the City Libraries catalogue, which reckons there are no copies in stock, but I'd be surprised if the Local Studies Library hasn't got one tucked away somewhere!

I picked my copy up for £1 on eBay a while ago. (There are no copies there either at the moment, but it's worth keeping an eye).

When I had my copy I got involved in the discussion on Sheffield Forum, and an ex-'inmate' said it was the 'Enid Blyton' version of things, nothing unpleasant ever happened, all was sweetness and light, and nothing like the reality.

Would that be "For the Love of Children : A Story of the Poor Children of Sheffield and of Fulwood Cottage Homes by Marjorie P Dunn?

I can't remember what it was called Bayleaf but it was only thin and about 6ins x 4ins

I believe it was a reddy colour. There wasn't much information in it but even so I wish

I still had it.

hi i am trying to trace the history of my grandfather and his brother who both spend time on fulwood cottages during the years1910 - 1919? anyone know how i can find the records for them

cheers Jono

hi i am trying to trace the history of my grandfather and his brother who both spend time on fulwood cottages during the years1910 - 1919? anyone know how i can find the records for them

cheers Jono

Hi Jono, and welcome to the Forum. Can't be much help personally, but have you tried Sheffield Forum? There have been a number of discussions about the Home on there, with a number of people trying to trace family, records etc. A search on there may help.

Some advice on the subject here.

cheers Jono

Picture of it here.

I can't remember what it was called Bayleaf but it was only thin and about 6ins x 4ins I believe it was a reddy colour. There wasn't much information in it but even so I wish I still had it.

Try here.

hi i am trying to trace the history of my grandfather and his brother who both spend time on fulwood cottages during the years1910 - 1919? anyone know how i can find the records for them cheers Jono

Picture of it here.

This is not the same one as I had.

I bought it either late 70s or early 80s but it didn't have a picture on the front,

just a reddish cover.

Dust jacket ? Covered with wallpaper like your old school books ? Painted ?

I'll get mi' coaat...

This is not the same one as I had.

I bought it either late 70s or early 80s but it didn't have a picture on the front,

just a reddish cover.

Great work Syrup !

1911 Census.

Fulwood Cottage Homes Ecclesall Union Guardians Homes, ECCLESALL UNION GUARDIANS' HOMES, FULWOOD COTTAGE.

Alfred Deacon, Superintendent, Fulwood Cottage Homes (Ecclesall Bierlow Union), Bolehill, Fulwood 1919-1925

Mrs Eleanor Deacon, Matron, Fulwood Cottage Homes (Ecclesall Bierlow Union), Bolehill, Fulwood 1919-25

Contradicts your data.

Fulwood Cottage Homes; All I have, All I am looking for help with...

The homes' first Superintendent stayed only for a year, but the three that followed (with their wives as Matrons) covered the whole of the homes' 55-year existence. They were Alfred and Mary Deacon (1906-26), Lionel and Freda Hindreth (1926-51), and Mr and Mrs Harry Brook (1951-60).

Hi, I had an Aunty that was in fulwood cottage homes she was born in 1932 her name was Audrey Leah wood her mum was called Phoebe Wood they were both in the fir vale workhouse Phoebe's other 2 children were looked after by her father Noah a nd step mum Clara they lived on 34 5th row Tyler street. Then 1939 moved to deerlands avenue. Phoebe was Moved to Whittington hall about 1943 and Audrey in 1947 was sent to royal Albert hospital lancashire does anyone know why they did this she was 15 . If anyone knew of Audrey I would be very grateful to fill in the blanks.

19 hours ago, Woodycas said:

Hi, I had an Aunty that was in fulwood cottage homes she was born in 1932 her name was Audrey Leah wood her mum was called Phoebe Wood they were both in the fir vale workhouse Phoebe's other 2 children were looked after by her father Noah a nd step mum Clara they lived on 34 5th row Tyler street. Then 1939 moved to deerlands avenue. Phoebe was Moved to Whittington hall about 1943 and Audrey in 1947 was sent to royal Albert hospital lancashire does anyone know why they did this she was 15 . If anyone knew of Audrey I would be very grateful to fill in the blanks.

From Sheffield Indexers

http://www.sheffieldindexers.com/

WOOD, Clara (Widow, age 76).
     Died at 404 Deerlands Avenue; Buried on August 18, 1949 in Consecrated ground;
     Grave Number 229, Section V4 of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.
     Parent or Next of Kin if Available: ~. Remarks: ~.
     Plot Owner: ~ ~ of ~. Page No ~
     Find Similar in Same Grave             Same Household if Available            Surname Match if Available

WOOD, Noah (Retired, age 78).
     Died at 404 Deerlands Ave; Buried on April 2, 1946 in Consecrated ground;
     Grave Number 229, Section V4 of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.
     Parent or Next of Kin if Available: ~. Remarks: ~.
     Plot Owner: ~ ~ of ~. Page No 203