Jack Clare´s

Guest SuzyC

Now that the winter is fast approaching I've been down to the library for a few more books about old Sheffield. One of the books is "Now & Then with Terry Gorman", the then views are his excellent paintings. The "then" view of Sheaf Square shows the smaller kiosk as a news-stand which makes sense. It must have had only a short life as a driving school. Another book by David Richardson and entitled Sheffield Pictorial contains a photo which solves a transport topic which was popular last year. It shows a Rotherham trolleybus No. 39 on loan to Sheffield Tramways in 1912 stood at the junction of High street and Haymarket.

One trolley pole is in use and a skate has been fastened under the front wheels for the return connection. So we did have a trolleybus in Sheffield then !

HD

Yes we did have a thing about trolleybuses on here last year but can I eckers-like find it now :unsure:

Try - 'Trolleybuses' - Dave

Great bit of link fairy work there Steve.

In post #3 of the topic you have linked Stuart0742 comments that I have commented in yet another linked topic (what a complex web we weave) about this very system of using a single overhead power supply and a tram rail return via a skate to power a trolley bus.

I knew I had heard of, and had the details described to me of this system but have never seen it, - at least not in Sheffield.

Or was it like the Mounted Horse statue in Fitzalen Square?

:P

Blimey - that's a good memory you have.

I'd still like to know how/where I saw it as a child when I'd never been to London.. ..

Blimey - that's a good memory you have.

I'd still like to know how/where I saw it as a child when I'd never been to London.. ..

Talking of childhood memories, according to my "National Registration Identity Card (under 16 years), I was just 18 months old when we moved out of our Stanwood Road pre-fab into a terraced house in Malin Bridge. Despite that I can clearly remember inspecting the house with my parents before we moved in and remember clearly sitting on my father's knee in the back of the removal van. Whilst my parents were sorting out the household, my aunt took me for a walk around the Mousehole, otherwise known as the Groggy (Grogham Wheel) at Malin Bridge. I also have vague memories of the pre-fab including the tiny bathroom with a wash hand basin, a luxury I wasn't to enjoy again for many years. My mother used to tell the story of the day the pre-fab fridge was installed, that evening my mother discovered that I'd found a table-knife and removed the fridge door again; well I had watched the bloke fitting it 'so it was easy-peasy for a less than two year old to take it off again. Unfortunately I'd put the screws safely away down the hole in the floor where the mains supply cable came up. The bloke who came to put the door back didn't believe it until I was encouraged to show him how I'd done it !

No wonder I was destined to work in engineering.

hilldweller.

Talking of childhood memories, according to my "National Registration Identity Card (under 16 years), I was just 18 months old when we moved out of our Stanwood Road pre-fab into a terraced house in Malin Bridge. Despite that I can clearly remember inspecting the house with my parents before we moved in and remember clearly sitting on my father's knee in the back of the removal van. Whilst my parents were sorting out the household, my aunt took me for a walk around the Mousehole, otherwise known as the Groggy (Grogham Wheel) at Malin Bridge. I also have vague memories of the pre-fab including the tiny bathroom with a wash hand basin, a luxury I wasn't to enjoy again for many years. My mother used to tell the story of the day the pre-fab fridge was installed, that evening my mother discovered that I'd found a table-knife and removed the fridge door again; well I had watched the bloke fitting it 'so it was easy-peasy for a less than two year old to take it off again. Unfortunately I'd put the screws safely away down the hole in the floor where the mains supply cable came up. The bloke who came to put the door back didn't believe it until I was encouraged to show him how I'd done it !

No wonder I was destined to work in engineering.

hilldweller.

Just found mine out. Anyone know when the issue of identity cards for under 16s ceased ? W/E..

Just found mine out. Anyone know when the issue of identity cards for under 16s ceased ? W/E..

It would appear that the National Registration Identity Card system was repealed in 1952. This followed a court case in 1951 when it appeared that there was much public disquiet that police offices were demanding production of identity cards for minor offences such as parking incorrectly. Acting Lord Chief Justice Goddard pointed out that the cards were introduced to aid national security and it was a misuse of their powers.

This all sounds very familiar in the modern world.

http://www.privacyinternational.org

click on National ID Cards, then Background Information and then History of ID Cards in the UK

Perhaps a link-fairey can get the entire link to work.

HD

History <--- Fairie work !

It would appear that the National Registration Identity Card system was repealed in 1952. This followed a court case in 1951 when it appeared that there was much public disquiet that police offices were demanding production of identity cards for minor offences such as parking incorrectly. Acting Lord Chief Justice Goddard pointed out that the cards were introduced to aid national security and it was a misuse of their powers.

http://www.privacyinternational.org

click on National ID Cards, then Background Information and then History of ID Cards in the UK

Perhaps a link-fairey can get the entire link to work.

HD

Link To the history of National Identity Cards

There you are a link

Well, in the 1980's the Government tried (and succeded for a year or two) in bringing back the "Poll Tax" which had last been used in the 14th Century.

In the current decade the previous Government tried to bring back the National Identity Card and were only defeated in doing so, or so it would seem, by its prohibitive cost.

I'm sure that I have posted this elsewhere on the forum ..

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK0bN2qD2kQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;color1=0x2b405b&amp;color2=0x6b8ab6&amp;border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK0bN2qD2kQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;color1=0x2b405b&amp;color2=0x6b8ab6&amp;border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Only just got around to watching this Jack Clare video on learning to drive.

I have nothing against women drivers as my own wife is an excellent driver BUT look at those high heel shoes that woman is wearing to drive in :o

Makes controlling those pedals, especially the clutch, much more difficult and dangerous.

Surely a decent driving school would have recommended that she drive in more appropriate footwear.

not saying Jack Clare's wasn't a decent motoring school but would you want to advertise your driving school with someone learning to drive in high heels?

They'll be teaching people to play the piano with their toes instead of their fingers next!