1960's Pub

Guest sheffieldgirl

Guest sheffieldgirl

Can anyone remember the name of the pub that was attached to the shop/off licence on the corner on Langsett Road. The attached pub would have been on Cuthbert Road. I remember the shop used to have beer pumps on the counter where people used to go in and buy jugs of ale. Also can anyone remember the name of the family that owned it. I used to play with their granddaughter when I was at my grandparen't house on Cuthbert Bank Road.

Here's a link to another post on here. Some interesting bits of info but unfortunately the pictures don't seem to work.

(anybody know why ?)

Langsett Road Link

The 'Langsett Road' Topic was started a month or so before I joined SH,

the reason that some of the images are missing is due to a server crash

that happened in the early days of SH.

Richard knows more as he was one of the original moderators

at the time.

The 'Langsett Road' Topic was started a month or so before I joined SH,

the reason that some of the images are missing is due to a server crash

that happened in the early days of SH.

Richard knows more as he was one of the original moderators

at the time.

That's a pitty

Guest sheffieldgirl

Hello Sheffieldgirl an welcome.

The pub was The Cuthbert Arms (Link)

1950's OS Map

I'm having a look for any info more for you.

Thanks for that, it was the Cuthbert Arms, I still can't remember the family name, apparently I was baptised on the same day as their granddaughter, mam has the parish magazine form then, but as she still lives in Sheffield and I don't, it will be a couple of weeks before I can look, the reason I need to know is I am half way through writing a story to submit to a nostalgia magazine and if it is accepted I want to know my facts are right. Anymore info would be gratefull recieved, thanks again.

Here's a link to another post on here. Some interesting bits of info but unfortunately the pictures don't seem to work.

(anybody know why ?)

Langsett Road Link

Very early post; been through 2 upgrades + copyright - buy the book or visit the library.

Albert Newton had the place in 1948 ...

Thanks for that, it was the Cuthbert Arms, I still can't remember the family name, apparently I was baptised on the same day as their granddaughter, mam has the parish magazine form then, but as she still lives in Sheffield and I don't, it will be a couple of weeks before I can look, the reason I need to know is I am half way through writing a story to submit to a nostalgia magazine and if it is accepted I want to know my facts are right. Anymore info would be gratefull recieved, thanks again.

I believe this was the pub I had a bit of an affinity with back in the mid to late 1960's. I'll tell you my recollections and see if it rings any bells. I had a motorbike in those days and I used to frequent certain pubs that were favourable to bikies one being The Beehive. One night in The Beehive I made the acquaintance of a girl called Linda and for a while she became the pillion passenger on my 650 BSA Roadrocket. She told me her parents ran a pub on Langsett Road but when I took her home she always told me to drop her off in the next street and she'd walk home. I don't think her dad liked bikies. I soon found out that she was married to a guy called John ******* (name withheld) and was separated. John - name withheld - had a bad reputation around town for being a bit of a hoodlum. They also had a child, a girl, which I never saw. I did meet her husband though. One evening we were parked in the road next to the pub just talking, saying good night and a man walked across the end of the road, he was almost out of sight when Linda sang out "John ! "

"Its me 'usband" She said, and then added quite matter-of-fact "He'll bash yer"

After a short heated exchange between John and Linda, he did indeed take a swing at me but fortunately he was extremely drunk and I was able to avoid his clumsy lunge. Then he turned his attention to my bike, putting his foot against the tank he pushed it off the side stand, I caught it before it hit the ground and I decided that might be a good time to make an exit. I ran it down the road and dropped the clutch. I soon realised, however, with the wind whipping around my ears, that I had left without my helmet which had been on the seat. I turned back and gingerly entered the now deserted street, my helmet was nowhere to be seen. I stopped the bike, there was a high fence on one side, I clambered to the top and looked over. There was a big gully on the other side (Cuthbert Bank?) I could just see my helmet 20 or 30 yards down the hill.

I don't think I saw Linda again after that night but some weeks later, I had my brother-in-law on the pillion one Saturday afternoon and we just happened to be riding down Langsett Road, I couldn't resist it ! We pulled in at the Cuthbert Arms, went in and ordered 2 pints. The landlord stared unflinchingly at the two of us, with our leather jackets and crash hats under our arms. He took out 2 glasses, placed them on the bar and slowly started to pull two pints of bitter. He filled the glasses and placed them back under the bar, looked us in the eye and said "I'm not serving yer. Get out of my pub."

So there you have it Sheffieldgirl. Did you get baptised with Linda's daughter?

It's possible. Good luck with the story.

Guest sheffieldgirl

Hello Sheffieldgirl an welcome.

The pub was The Cuthbert Arms (Link)

1950's OS Map

I'm having a look for any info more for you.

Hi, Thanks for the map,did you get it off the internet? if you did can you let me have a link,as I would love to see more of the area around Cuthbert Road, regards E. :rolleyes:

Hi, Thanks for the map,did you get it off the internet? if you did can you let me have a link,as I would love to see more of the area around Cuthbert Road, regards E. :rolleyes:

Hi sheffieldgirl

a full view of 1950's OS map is avalable on the internet,

along with a few others of the Sheffield area,

here's a link to the Cuthbert Rd. map

there is also a map index at the beginning of the Topic.

;-)

Guest sheffieldgirl

Hi sheffieldgirl

a full view of 1950's OS map is avalable on the internet,

along with a few others of the Sheffield area,

here's a link to the Cuthbert Rd. map

there is also a map index at the beginning of the Topic.

;-)

Thanks for telling me where to find the maps, I am sure to find everything I need now. regards E.

Hi, Thanks for the map,did you get it off the internet?

Maps still give me nightmares !

Sheffieldgirl, an idiot (me) bought them and several people have contributed massively to the current collection. A SheffieldHistory project of immense proportions - not bad for a Message Board !

Hi sheffieldgirl.

I am in touch with a woman on Facebook who says he grandparents used to run the pub on Cuthbert Road, that would be sometime in the 1950's. If your still around and interested I could put you in touch.