Piazza No Thanks, Pizza Yes Please.

hilldweller

I hate to say this, but genuine Italian ice cream, "gelato" is better than our ice cream as well.

I say "hate to say this" as Sheffield does have a tradition of imigrant Italian families, most of which have been here over 150 years now, that have made their name in the local ice cream business and have provided us with some excellent ice cream.

There is another topic on this site about Italian ice cream businesses in Sheffield and also this site about the West Bar Italians

Sheffield Italian Ice Cream Families

Further to this, I do have family connections to one of the local Italian ice cream companies.

In Italy "David´s" is the place to go for ice cream. It is so light. I could´t believe the sculptures they do with ice cream eg a lifelike plate of spagbol, a castle, etc. etc. Bet they could even do the Pope if you asked nicely :P

Now if that place on Abbeydale Road is the Pizza 4 U place, they do have an advertisement on this site.

Good going then, -

So far they are the only nominations for the best, most authentically Italian pizza in Sheffield and they pay to advertise on our site.

The nominations not been fiddled either,honest, until 5 minutes ago I had no idea about the advert.

..and I don't think Bayleaf who nominated them did either.

No, it isn't them I'm afraid, never tried them. The place I was thinking of is a little restaurant called L'Incontro. I think it changed hands recently so I shall have to revist them. Oh the sacrifices I make for the Forum......! he he

Granellis was always very delicious, s´´pect they had Italian roots though with a name like that. Also Manfredis,

Correct, both families of Italian descendency and both of them produce excellent ice cream, - but it's not like the "gelato" you get in Italy is it.

Also Manfredis, they used to come down Norfolk Road every evening and we always took a bowl out to be filled. We did have a large fridge in those days but only a tiny freezer compartment, just about big enough for some icecubes. Still, no frozen dinners in those days :o

Now when my uncle came around our house on Sunday teatime after a day out selling Cuneos he always insisted on filling us "biggest bowl you've got, - a bucket if you want" with ice cream in exchange for having his Sunday tea with us.

People did used to come out in the street to get bowls filled at the van with ice cream and he was quite preopared to sell it in bulk like that.

Can you still do that today?

I haven't seen it happen for a long time.

I can remember "do you want some chocolate on ducks?" in a perfect Italian/Sheffield accent. :)

"Naara - den-a, dooza da wanta di chocolato on-a de ice-a cream duck?" lol

No, it isn't them I'm afraid, never tried them. The place I was thinking of is a little restaurant called L'Incontro. I think it changed hands recently so I shall have to revist them. Oh the sacrifices I make for the Forum......! he he

A DOUBLE sacrifice for the Forum Bayleaf

First you need to go to L'Incontro and sample one of their pizzas again now they are "under new management" (Italian?, could be the M B)B)B) a!)

Secondly, having done that you need a short walk down Abbeydale Road to the Pizza 4 U place so that you can sample one of their pizzas as well.

Then you can report back to the Forum which was the better, more authentically Italian of the 2 pizzas.

I'm puzzled now (no change there then), my dictionary gives the meaning "a public square or market-place especially in an Italian town". Why then do they call St. Peters a square and also St. Marks in Venice ?

What description do the Italians use ?

Looking at what happened to me yesterday an old saying about Mohammed and the mountains comes to mind.

Unfortunately the school holidays are over and my very enjoyable Italian holiday is becoming a distance memory.

As winter approaches all I can do is think about and possibly plan for another trip to Italy either next year or at least at some time in the future.

However,

IF DAVEH CAN'T GO TO ITALY, PERHAPS ITALY CAN COME TO DAVEH

(The Mohammed and the mountains connection)

Now, those people down at the town hall that like spending Sheffield ratepayers money on totally non-essential self indugent luxuries even in these times of economic cutbacks had decided that this weekend Sheffield should have an Italian market at the top of Fargate.

So, Italy did come to me rather than me going there.

But, interestingly, as you can see in these pictures, some stalls are displaying in Italian the names of the items they are selling (Olio, Biscotto, Vino, Olive, Formaggio etc) while the other stalls have the name of the market on them as

ITALIA IN PIAZZA

This is at the top of Fargate.

Fargate has been paved over and been a "Pedestrian Precinct" for many years

But would you describe Fargate as a "Piazza"?

Looking at what happened to me yesterday an old saying about Mohammed and the mountains comes to mind.

Unfortunately the school holidays are over and my very enjoyable Italian holiday is becoming a distance memory.

As winter approaches all I can do is think about and possibly plan for another trip to Italy either next year or at least at some time in the future.

However,

IF DAVEH CAN'T GO TO ITALY, PERHAPS ITALY CAN COME TO DAVEH

(The Mohammed and the mountains connection)

Now, those people down at the town hall that like spending Sheffield ratepayers money on totally non-essential self indugent luxuries even in these times of economic cutbacks had decided that this weekend Sheffield should have an Italian market at the top of Fargate.

So, Italy did come to me rather than me going there.

But, interestingly, as you can see in these pictures, some stalls are displaying in Italian the names of the items they are selling (Olio, Biscotto, Vino, Olive, Formaggio etc) while the other stalls have the name of the market on them as

ITALIA IN PIAZZA

This is at the top of Fargate.

Fargate has been paved over and been a "Pedestrian Precinct" for many years

But would you describe Fargate as a "Piazza"?

Not forgetting that the fancy cobbles were from and laid by Italian workmen brought over for the job!

Not forgetting that the fancy cobbles were from and laid by Italian workmen brought over for the job!

"Fancy Cobbles" <_<

"Cobbles" sounds very British and there isn't much fancy about them.

Now in Italy it would be a mozaic of pink, white, grey and green Florentine marble.

Now that would be Italian and would make a very fancy Piazza.

Perhaps "those people down at the town hall that like spending Sheffield ratepayers money on totally non-essential self indugent luxuries" would like to fork out and have Fargate redone in this style! lol

"Fancy Cobbles" <_<

"Cobbles" sounds very British and there isn't much fancy about them.

Now in Italy it would be a mozaic of pink, white, grey and green Florentine marble.

Now that would be Italian and would make a very fancy Piazza.

Perhaps "those people down at the town hall that like spending Sheffield ratepayers money on totally non-essential self indugent luxuries" would like to fork out and have Fargate redone in this style! lol

It was the fan-shaped patterns they had to bring the paviers over to do, apparently British paviers couldn't do it!

Ironically one of the shops on Fargate wanted to put tables and chairs out to serve coffee, but the Council turned them down on the grounds they would obstruct the paved areas and the cobbles were unsuitable for wheelchairs, prams, people with walking sticks etc. So, a pedestrian precinct designed to be unsuitable for pedestrians!

It was the fan-shaped patterns they had to bring the paviers over to do, apparently British paviers couldn't do it!

Ironically one of the shops on Fargate wanted to put tables and chairs out to serve coffee, but the Council turned them down on the grounds they would obstruct the paved areas and the cobbles were unsuitable for wheelchairs, prams, people with walking sticks etc. So, a pedestrian precinct designed to be unsuitable for pedestrians!

Typical.

When I go down there I buy so much stuff that I take the shopping trolley and even that bounces about a lot so it must be awful for prams and wheelchairs.

Then again, many Continental squares and piazzas are paved in a similar, uneven, fashion.