Piazza No Thanks, Pizza Yes Please.

hilldweller

Watching the events surrounding the Popes visit this morning I was astounded at the number of times the BBC News reporter managed to get the word PIAZZA into his report, I gave up when he had mentioned the word 23 times. He was referring to Parliament Square.

As far as I am aware this hasn't been renamed Parliament Piazza, least-ways if it has I haven't heard about it. Perhaps it's a temporary thing in honour of the pontiffs visit ? He pronounced it in what he thought was a very italian way PEE-ATTS-ZO.

Perhaps he's involved in a betting scam, there may be millions of Hong Kong dollars resting on the exact number of piazzas he managed to get in. Or perhaps he was just overcome with the occasion ? lol lol lol

hilldweller

It seems that Boris Johnson had plans to turn Parliment Square into a Piazza in time for the Olympics.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-mayor/article-23515056-boris-shelves-kens-plan-for-a-parliament-square-piazza.do

Watching the events surrounding the Popes visit this morning I was astounded at the number of times the BBC News reporter managed to get the word PIAZZA into his report, I gave up when he had mentioned the word 23 times. He was referring to Parliament Square.

As far as I am aware this hasn't been renamed Parliament Piazza, least-ways if it has I haven't heard about it. Perhaps it's a temporary thing in honour of the pontiffs visit ? He pronounced it in what he thought was a very italian way PEE-ATTS-ZO.

Perhaps he's involved in a betting scam, there may be millions of Hong Kong dollars resting on the exact number of piazzas he managed to get in. Or perhaps he was just overcome with the occasion ? lol lol lol

hilldweller

WHOOPS I've just been looking at the Popes itinerary for this morning and realised that the meetings with the politicos took place at the Bishops House, Westminster Cathedral and not Westminster Abbey. So the scene I was looking at was the open space in front of the cathedral which doesn't appear to have a street name. The cathedral is in a high italianate style so I suppose the space could be described as a piazza, but not 23 plus times !

hilldweller

WHOOPS I've just been looking at the Popes itinerary for this morning and realised that the meetings with the politicos took place at the Bishops House, Westminster Cathedral and not Westminster Abbey. So the scene I was looking at was the open space in front of the cathedral which doesn't appear to have a street name. The cathedral is in a high italianate style so I suppose the space could be described as a piazza, but not 23 plus times !

hilldweller

The Pope's own piazza back in the Vatican, aka St. Peter's Square, is pretty big and impressive

Went there this summer, it's a really great place.

If I was a politician I think I would rather go to the Vatican to see him than have him come to "a small open square" (a piazza) in London.

The Pope's own piazza back in the Vatican, aka St. Peter's Square, is pretty big and impressive

Went there this summer, it's a really great place.

If I was a politician I think I would rather go to the Vatican to see him than have him come to "a small open square" (a piazza) in London.

I'm puzzled now (no change there then), my dictionary gives the meaning "a public square or market-place especially in an Italian town". Why then do they call St. Peters a square and also St. Marks in Venice ?

What description do the Italians use ? I'd ask my wife who is one quarter Italian but the only Italian part of her is her temperament, lol she doesn't speak the language.

Great picture by the way DaveH

hilldweller

I'm puzzled now (no change there then), my dictionary gives the meaning "a public square or market-place especially in an Italian town". Why then do they call St. Peters a square and also St. Marks in Venice ?

What description do the Italians use ? I'd ask my wife who is one quarter Italian but the only Italian part of her is her temperament, lol she doesn't speak the language.

Great picture by the way DaveH

hilldweller

WEll, my definition of a piazza is exactly the same as yours hilldweller, - a town square. The only reason it applies particularly to Italian towns is because that is the Italian word for it, in Spain it would be a plaza, in France a Place and her in Britain a "Square" (although I am sure my father would have called it a "yaard")

Do the Italians call St. Peters square a square?

Or is called "Piazza di Santa Petro"?

Better ask the quarter of your wife that understands Italians! lol

WEll, my definition of a piazza is exactly the same as yours hilldweller, - a town square. The only reason it applies particularly to Italian towns is because that is the Italian word for it, in Spain it would be a plaza, in France a Place and her in Britain a "Square" (although I am sure my father would have called it a "yaard")

Do the Italians call St. Peters square a square?

Or is called "Piazza di Santa Petro"?

Better ask the quarter of your wife that understands Italians! lol

My wife wouldn't have a clue but Google Maps calls it "Piazza San Pietro"

So that's that then :rolleyes:

HD

My wife wouldn't have a clue but Google Maps calls it "Piazza San Pietro"

HD

So St. Mark's square in Venice would presumably be "Piazza San Marco"

So that's that then :rolleyes:

Not quite hilldweller.

You called the topic "Piazza No Thanks, Pizza Yes Please"

OK, so in true Italian it should be Piazza, - but there are no Piazzas in Britain only squares and we are not going to rename them just to make the Pope feel like he is back home in the Vatican and to give BBC reporters a chance to show off their mock Italian accents.

But what about the "pizza yes please" bit?

I have noticed that pizza in this country is unhealthy prepackaged junk food from a supermarket or fast food brought to your door in a cardboard box by a bloke on a moped in under 30 minutes. It can be deep crust or thin, it can have a whole range of toppings, many of them more American than Italian. It can be served hot or cold, - usually cold after waiting 29 minutes for the bloke on a moped.

However, in Italy, as with much Italian food, a pizza is a refreshingly new culinary experience, much better than a "bought" pizza in this country.

Pizza from Pizza Hut, No Thanks

Pizza from Cafe Roma, Yes Please.

Not quite hilldweller.

OK, so in true Italian it should be Piazza, - but there are no Piazzas in Britain only squares and we are not going to rename them just to make the Pope feel like he is back home in the Vatican and to give BBC reporters a chance to show off their mock Italian accents.

I have noticed that pizza in this country is unhealthy prepackaged junk food from a supermarket or fast food brought to your door in a cardboard box by a bloke on a moped in under 30 minutes. It can be deep crust or thin, it can have a whole range of toppings, many of them more American than Italian. It can be served hot or cold, - usually cold after waiting 29 minutes for the bloke on a moped.

However, in Italy, as with much Italian food, a pizza is a refreshingly new culinary experience, much better than a "bought" pizza in this country.

I can verify Italian pizza is brilliant having eaten it most days in Sorrento. Very light, cooked on the spot, delicious.

Not quite hilldweller.

I can verify Italian pizza is brilliant having eaten it most days in Sorrento. Very light, cooked on the spot, delicious.

So good, she posted it twice!! (And I agree completely Suzy, the real thing versus the stuff we get here? No contest! Although there's an Italian place on Abbeydale Road that's pretty authentic.)

Described perfectly Suzy.

Wonder why they can't do it like that over here?

So good, she posted it twice!! (And I agree completely Suzy, the real thing versus the stuff we get here? No contest! Although there's an Italian place on Abbeydale Road that's pretty authentic.)

Well, Sinatra said that New York was so good they named it twice lol

A nice Italian place on Abbeydale Road?

OK, it looks like the challenge of hilldwellers "Pizza Yes Please" topic is now to track down the best and most authentic Italian pizza outlet in Sheffield.

Well, Sinatra said that New York was so good they named it twice lol

A nice Italian place on Abbeydale Road?

OK, it looks like the challenge of hilldwellers "Pizza Yes Please" topic is now to track down the best and most authentic Italian pizza outlet in Sheffield.

O. K. so I've got a confession to make. The last time I ate any pizza was a pub lunch while I was working at BSC Stocksbridge and I left there in 1983. Perhaps if it had been a genuine Italian pizza I might have wanted to repeat the experiance a bit more often.

hilldweller

Ha Mrs Fumblefingers or what :P

O. K. so I've got a confession to make. The last time I ate any pizza was a pub lunch while I was working at BSC Stocksbridge and I left there in 1983. Perhaps if it had been a genuine Italian pizza I might have wanted to repeat the experiance a bit more often.

hilldweller

If you don't like pizza hilldweller you should have called the topic "Piazza No Thanks, Pizza No Thanks" instead lol

Somehow, with saying your wife is part Italian and that you don't particularly like pizza has reminded me of an old song by Peter Sellers and Sophia Loren called "Bangers and Mash".

It was their follow up to the more famous "Goodness Gracious Me" from the film Millionaire in which Sellers plays a doctor who keeps saying "Goodness Gracious Me" while Loren is his patient who is hopelessly in love with him and she describes her symptoms (bum-biddy bum-biddy bum -biddy-bum)

Im "Bangers and Mash" Sellers plays a war vetran who has taken an Italian bride (Loren) and brought her home to Britain. Every day she serves him up Italian food and insists he eats it, but he doesn't like Italian food and yearns for something more traditional (Give us a bang at the bangers and mash my mother used to make)

I hate to say this, but genuine Italian ice cream, "gelato" is better than our ice cream as well.

I say "hate to say this" as Sheffield does have a tradition of imigrant Italian families, most of which have been here over 150 years now, that have made their name in the local ice cream business and have provided us with some excellent ice cream.

There is another topic on this site about Italian ice cream businesses in Sheffield and also this site about the West Bar Italians

Sheffield Italian Ice Cream Families

Further to this, I do have family connections to one of the local Italian ice cream companies.

Further to this, I do have family connections to one of the local Italian ice cream companies.

I hope I'm not going to wake up with a horses head in my bed, just because I said I hadn't eaten pizza for years. :( :( :(

HD

I hope I'm not going to wake up with a horses head in my bed, just because I said I hadn't eaten pizza or years. :( :( :(

HD

Hey, Luigi, - we senda da boys around B)B) B)

I hate to say this, but genuine Italian ice cream, "gelato" is better than our ice cream as well.

There was a programme on the radio last week about ice cream and they were talking to the present generation of one of the first Italian ice cream families to come to Britain , and he explained that the difference between our ice cream and Italian gelato, is that Ice cream is made with cream, but gelato is made with milk. Sounds a fine line but the proof's in the eating I suppose!

There was a programme on the radio last week about ice cream and they were talking to the present generation of one of the first Italian ice cream families to come to Britain , and he explained that the difference between our ice cream and Italian gelato, is that Ice cream is made with cream, but gelato is made with milk. Sounds a fine line but the proof's in the eating I suppose!

Thanks Bayleaf, that may explain a point.

My grandmother, who married a Sheffield - Italian ice cream maker (Cuneo) always used to say that ice cream like Walls and Lyons Maid "sticks to the roof of your mouth because there is too much fat in it" but she never levelled that complaint at Cuneo's which she championed or at any other of the Sheffield based Italian companies which I suppose they were in competition with (eg Manfredi's).

From your post, there could be some truth in what she was saying.

Now if that place on Abbeydale Road is the Pizza 4 U place, they do have an advertisement on this site.

Good going then, -

So far they are the only nominations for the best, most authentically Italian pizza in Sheffield and they pay to advertise on our site.

The nominations not been fiddled either,honest, until 5 minutes ago I had no idea about the advert.

..and I don't think Bayleaf who nominated them did either.

I say "hate to say this" as Sheffield does have a tradition of imigrant Italian families, most of which have been here over 150 years now, that have made their name in the local ice cream business and have provided us with some excellent ice cream.

There is another topic on this site about Italian ice cream businesses in Sheffield and also this site about the West Bar Italians

Sheffield Italian Ice Cream Families

Granellis was always very delicious, s´´pect they had Italian roots though with a name like that. Also Manfredis, they used to come down Norfolk Road every evening and we always took a bowl out to be filled. We did have a large fridge in those days but only a tiny freezer compartment, just about big enough for some icecubes. Still, no frozen dinners in those days :o I can remember "do you want some chocolate on ducks?" in a perfect Italian/Sheffield accent. :)