old remedies

Guest nosy nellie

Guest nosy nellie

How many old remedies can you remember for coughs and colds and any other ailments.

Fiery Jack

Scissor powders.

Carters little liver pills.

Setlidz powders.

Ipecacuaner.

Indian brandy.

Fullers earth.

Boracic ointment.

Soap suppositories.

Wintergreen ointment.

Friars balsom.

toothache tincture.

Kaolin poultice.

Camphorated oil.

Malt and cod liver oil was a must every morning.

Bread poultice to bring a boil to the surface

Sugar & soap to do the same

Wrapping an old rag around a small gash to prevent bleeding! Who needs Elastoplast or stitches ;)

Tincture of mur (sp) for toothache

Olive oil for ear wax

Clove oil for toothache

Mrs Grinder just told me another old use for a bread poultice which I dare not repeat!

No wonder Fletchers are to rich ;)

I asked for Camphor Oil at a local chemist recently, they looked at me like I was out of The Ark.....

When I was a kid I suffered from a lot of nose bleeds. Mum's remedy was to get the back door key (which was huge and always freezing cold as we had no heating outside the living room) and stick the ruddy thing down my back! Not sure that it ever actually stopped the bleeding, but I was so used to it that I automatically went to fetch the key as the first drops of blood hit my top lip.

Another of mum's special remedies was for a sore throat - one of dad's smelliest socks wrapped around your neck at bedtime!

My Mother used to give me a mixture of

Butter - most likely margarine

Vinegar

Sugar

Treacle

Don't know whether it worked, but I loved the taste.

Guest Trefcon

hi all

my mothers remedy for everything! no matter what you have done is have a bath.

why do mothers have these silly remedies?

donna

Guest tsavo

Not forgetting the dreaded Syrup of Figs. Anyone who remembers being dosed with that wouldn't dare to admit to constipation...ever!

Strange as I'm surrounded by fig trees here, and I can't bring myself to eat one.

MI MUM PUT BREAD POLTICE ON US TO DRAW SPELLS OUT,ADD A BIT A VINEGAR FOR BEE/WASP STINGS

DOT LEAFS FOR NETTLE RASH, BUT MADE US SUP ROBIN STARCH IN HOT WATER FOR "RUNS".DINT WORK REET. BUT MADE IT MORE SOLID TO STOP PEBBLE DASHIN BOWL.

Vinegar according to a book named 101 uses of vinegar it does the whole sherbang from clearing up a case of jungle fever to adding it to water to make glass shine i think the only thing it doesnt mention is putting it on your chips,so if it was made for the purpose of an industrial cleaner or window washing addative who first tried it on there food? its got to be someone who accidentally spilt some on some chips he had just bought n thought well still gunna eat em not lettin em go to waste

Guest nosy nellie

Bread poultice to bring a boil to the surface

Sugar & soap to do the same

Wrapping an old rag around a small gash to prevent bleeding! Who needs Elastoplast or stitches ;)

Tincture of mur (sp) for toothache

Olive oil for ear wax

Clove oil for toothache

Mrs Grinder just told me another old use for a bread poultice which I dare not repeat!

No wonder Fletchers are to rich ;)

Another use for bread poultice intriguing! At my age I thought I had tried everything could you give us a clue.

Does anyone remember Liquifruita? What a concoction!, nobody would go near you if you had taken that. It was really vile stuff.