Best Bitter ?

hilldweller

I'm not a big drinker, sorry I'll rephrase that, I am a big drinker at nearly six feet and sixteen stone; but I do enjoy the odd pint of bitter.

Since the demise of cask-conditioned John Smith's Magnet I've not been able to find a pint I like.

However I've just discovered a very nice pint brewed by the local Abbeydale Brewery. It's called Daily Bread and goes down a treat with a lovely aftertaste. I don't know where else it's available but certainly at the brewery owned Rising Sun at Nether Green.

I can't remember exactly what it cost me but £2.20 springs to mind, which seems very cheap compared to the rubbish served at most pubs.

Try a pint (or even two-when you're on foot of course) and if it becomes popular and continues, I shall be assured of a decent pint in future.

hilldweller

I'm not a big drinker, sorry I'll rephrase that, I am a big drinker at nearly six feet and sixteen stone; but I do enjoy the odd pint of bitter.

As a young man, I suppose I was a big beer drinker as it was my alcoholic drink of choice.

These days I do not drink a lot of beer at all, but I do drink a lot of wine instead.

I don't know why my taste has changed, - dining out, foreign holidays, exposure to a higher standards of culture.

I suppose they will all have played a part.

I suppose when I get older still I will switch from wine to spirits as the trend seems to be as time goes on taking smaller, but stronger drinks.

As a young man, I suppose I was a big beer drinker as it was my alcoholic drink of choice.

These days I do not drink a lot of beer at all, but I do drink a lot of wine instead.

I don't know why my taste has changed, - dining out, foreign holidays, exposure to a higher standards of culture.

I suppose they will all have played a part.

I suppose when I get older still I will switch from wine to spirits as the trend seems to be as time goes on taking smaller, but stronger drinks.

I'm afraid that I have a very uncultured palette. No matter what quality or how expensive the wine I'm given (I wouldn't buy my own), they all taste of vinegar to me I'm afraid. I've drunk wine on many occasions but I can honestly say that I've never once enjoyed it. It must be something to do with my taste-buds. I can really enjoy a good malt or even a good irish whiskey but even then I'm selective because some of them taste of cats urine.

My mother when she was alive used to enjoy a tot of Grouse and I find that I enjoy it too.

I'm sure many people enjoy their wine but I'm afraid I'm not one of them.

hilldweller

I rarely drink beer these days (or lager for that matter); I have been known to consume my owwn body weight in Red wine on a good evening mind you.

Six foot and sixteen stone would be quite an achievement for me, I float between 18 and 19 stone these days; I have exceptionally heavy eyebrows, so I'm told he he

I'm afraid that I have a very uncultured palette. No matter what quality or how expensive the wine I'm given (I wouldn't buy my own), they all taste of vinegar to me I'm afraid.

Perhaps you have got a cultured palette hilldweller,

If the wine tastes like vinegar it is not your taste buds,

It means quite simply that the wine has gone off.

You've got some good friends there hilldweller, giving you wine that has gone off! :angry:

Air, (oxygen) and unwanted acetobacter bacteria (commonly called "vinegar fly") will quickly oxidise the alcohol (ethanol) into acetic acid (ethanoic acid) which to me and you is vinegar.

Anyway, wine vinegar has got to be better vinegar than that "non brewed condiment" concoction

I rarely drink beer these days (or lager for that matter); I have been known to consume my owwn body weight in Red wine on a good evening mind you.

Six foot and sixteen stone would be quite an achievement for me, I float between 18 and 19 stone these days; I have exceptionally heavy eyebrows, so I'm told he he

These may come in handy Arthur Scargill style, downside I suppose would be people saying you had a low forehead. lol

I have been known to consume my owwn body weight in Red wine on a good evening mind you.

Well thank goodness for the European Union surplus wine lake.

Richard, you are worth your weight in Chianti

Perhaps you have got a cultured palette hilldweller,

If the wine tastes like vinegar it is not your taste buds,

It means quite simply that the wine has gone off.

You've got some good friends there hilldweller, giving you wine that has gone off! :angry:

Air, (oxygen) and unwanted acetobacter bacteria (commonly called "vinegar fly") will quickly oxidise the alcohol (ethanol) into acetic acid (ethanoic acid) which to me and you is vinegar.

Anyway, wine vinegar has got to be better vinegar than that "non brewed condiment" concoction

It can't all have gone orrf, the amount of the stuff I've had to pour down my throat at works functions and the like. I can't imagine the Senior BSC management on the Esher jollies drinking cheap plonk. Anyway I make a point of cultivating friends that drink real ale.

I must have a very sensitive palette for acetic acid because vinegar makes me retch.

hilldweller

Well thank goodness for the European Union surplus wine lake.

Richard, you are worth your weight in Chianti

Sorry folks, there´s no EU wine lake left since we´ve been living here, we´ve drunk the lot :P (or, as in the old Monty Python sketch, licked the lake dry.) I am 8 stone wet through so don´t think alcohol causes fatness, sorry in pc terms that should be big bones!!! Better half can buy John Smiths here in cans (at exorbitant price) for a treat. However, being from the wrong side of the Pennines he usually craves our namesakes´ beer, Chesters (long gone as an independent brewerey) or some other stuff called Marsdens. ¿What happenend to Tennants, didn´t they brew in Sheffield? Don´t like spirits at all, as you say HD it must be an acquired taste with age...... B)

Sorry folks, there´s no EU wine lake left since we´ve been living here, we´ve drunk the lot :P (or, as in the old Monty Python sketch, licked the lake dry.) I am 8 stone wet through so don´t think alcohol causes fatness, sorry in pc terms that should be big bones!!! Better half can buy John Smiths here in cans (at exorbitant price) for a treat. However, being from the wrong side of the Pennines he usually craves our namesakes´ beer, Chesters (long gone as an independent brewerey) or some other stuff called Marsdens. ¿What happenend to Tennants, didn´t they brew in Sheffield? Don´t like spirits at all, as you say HD it must be an acquired taste with age...... B)

You drank the EU surplus wine lake and licked it dry!!! :o

Now beer in cans isn't really a treat at all to me as it tastes distinctly of, ....well er, beer that has been in contact with an aluminium can! The can seems to sort of "taint" the beer. Give me a good draught pint of traditional ale, - not a pint from a pressurised aluminium keg with so much carbon dioxide blown into it that its like fizzy pop, but a proper pint of real ale.

I take it that you are using a computer with a Spanish keyboard to get that very Spanish question preceeding upside down and back to front question mark symbol.

It can't all have gone orrf, the amount of the stuff I've had to pour down my throat at works functions and the like. I can't imagine the Senior BSC management on the Esher jollies drinking cheap plonk. Anyway I make a point of cultivating friends that drink real ale.

I must have a very sensitive palette for acetic acid because vinegar makes me retch.

hilldweller

Well, just like there is a big variety of beers, and an even bigger variety of wines, there are also lots of varieties of vinegar. There are some very nice balsamic ones.

But, if you have an intollerance of acetic acid (and some people do) then you won't be able to appreciate the finer flavours of any of them.