B & C Chapel - Where Was It In 1956?

BASSWRITER

Can anyone help with this? I have a death anouncement from The Star in March 1956 which confirms that a burial was to take place at Crookes and the service at the B and C Chapel. My question is where was the B and C Chapel in 1956?

The anouncement says the burial will take place at ....pm and the service at ........pm. The actual times are not readable as they are on the crease of the page which wasn't completly flat when it was photographed. I think this means that the burial took place first and the service afterwards at a different time, which would indicate that the B and C Chapel was somewhere else in Sheffield other than Crookes.

I assume that the B and C stands for Brightside and Carbrook (which might be wrong of course) but if so, does this mean the chapel was somewhere in the Brightside and Carbrook area or was the Chapel part of B & C Funeral Services. I think there is some kind of Chapel at the B & C Office on Suffolk Road in town but I'm not sure if this building existed in 1956.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Can anyone help with this? I have a death anouncement from The Star in March 1956 which confirms that a burial was to take place at Crookes and the service at the B and C Chapel. My question is where was the B and C Chapel in 1956?

The anouncement says the burial will take place at ....pm and the service at ........pm. The actual times are not readable as they are on the crease of the page which wasn't completly flat when it was photographed. I think this means that the burial took place first and the service afterwards at a different time, which would indicate that the B and C Chapel was somewhere else in Sheffield other than Crookes.

I assume that the B and C stands for Brightside and Carbrook (which might be wrong of course) but if so, does this mean the chapel was somewhere in the Brightside and Carbrook area or was the Chapel part of B & C Funeral Services. I think there is some kind of Chapel at the B & C Office on Suffolk Road in town but I'm not sure if this building existed in 1956.

thanks

Hi Basswriter,

I lived just round the corner from Suffolk Rd,

though would have been to young to remember in 1956.

the Suffolk Rd. B&C Chapel is not listed in my 1965 directory.

Their advert from 1965 reads ..

Brightside & Carbrook

Co – Operative Society Ltd.

Funeral Department:

1 – 15 Attercliffe Common, S9.

Funeral Service

Day and Night

Private Chapels of Repose.

Hi Basswriter,

Brightside & Carbrook

Funeral Department:

Funeral Service

Day and Night

1 - 15 Attercliffe Common.

Link to OS Map 176

1 - 15 Attercliffe Common.

Link to OS Map 176

The book - Attercliff by Michael Liversidge (ISBN 0 9534267-5-0)

states the B&C funeral sevices at 1 - 15 Attercliffe Common in 1956.

there is a photograph of the building, along with some invoice scans.

Hi Basswriter,

Brightside & Carbrook

Funeral Department:

Funeral Service

Day and Night

Like Steve I lived nearby, but when did they build the Suffolk Rd premises, before the B & C took over there was a large railway building on the site with a Stationary Steam Engine.

Link to previous topic

thanks

l think the Chapel of Rest was at Attercliffe before the new one was built at Suffolk rd sometime around 1969, my father-in-law died sometime in 1970 and was one of the very first to rest there before the funeral, then we went back to Suffolk rd for a meal, incidentily one of the mourners was his nieghbour Frank Fearn who did all the beautiful stone work and slate tiling inside the new building whilst working for Monks, [on Queens rd] l recall him saying he still had not quite finished so l think the date of this building was aroud 1969/70 skeets

Walked past this place many times on the way to the match - does it have a chapel - looks like one?

Co-Operative Funeral Services Ltd

Funeral Directors

473 Herries Road

Sheffield

South Yorkshire

S5 8TJ

Walked past this place many times on the way to the match - does it have a chapel - looks like one?

Co-Operative Funeral Services Ltd

Funeral Directors

473 Herries Road

Sheffield

South Yorkshire

S5 8TJ

Rode past it many times on my push-bike or moped on my way to and from work in the sixties. .

It used to be a chapel of the non-conformist variety I think. It's conversion to a funeral parlour is a relatively modern thing.

HD

Thank you for all your replies. The information provided was a big help in the search for my long lost adopted auntie. I sucessfully completed the search this month, 6 years after I started. Many thanks once again.