Corker Bottom

Guest SuzyC

Hi Guys,

Have my 88 year old auntie staying with me and she is very interested in this site. She was born at Crabtree Cottage, Corker Bottom in 1922. She thinks Prince of Wales Road was nearby. Any info on the area would be much appreciated.

I'm sure you will be able to help :)

Thanks for pointing me there. Aunty Margaret can remember the Rhodes family that were living up there, but is sill not sure of the locations. It just shows, ask an elderly relative and they can only remember so much.... lol But hey ho I'm the same, 30 years younger :P

I do hope your Link Fairy subscriptions are up-to-date Richard.

he he ))

I'm still interested to know where the name Corkers Bottom came from :blink:

I'm still interested to know where the name Corkers Bottom came from :blink:

Sorry but I don't know where the name 'Corker Bottom' originated from Suzy,

there is a local community gardening allotment group going by that name.

Here are a couple of photos from the 2007 Sheffield Fayre

that was staged in Norfolk Park.

I'm still interested to know where the name Corkers Bottom came from

I don't know if it might be a clue but for many years night-soil from Sheffield middens was tipped at Corker Bottoms. Perhaps thats why the gardeners are so succesful. There is a Picture Sheffield photo at S12515.

Perhaps a link fariey will appear.

hilldweller

Thanks very much for your responses everyone. She will love yours Hilldweller! I will show them to Auntie Margaret tomorrow (been out for a meal tonight and she is tired out!!). Incidentally she was Sister in charge of Casualty at the Royal Hospital on West Street for many, many years so if you have any questions about goings on there please ask whilst she is with us, she has many a tale to tell (cooking Christmas pud in the steriliser is just one of them lol ).

Hi Guys,

Have my 88 year old auntie staying with me and she is very interested in this site. She was born at Crabtree Cottage, Corker Bottom in 1922. She thinks Prince of Wales Road was nearby. Any info on the area would be much appreciated.

I'm sure you will be able to help :)

HI SuzyC l have a feeling that your Aunt might be thinking of the cottage that used to be on Crabtree Lane , off what was Batley St [ but its name has been changed] off Barnsley Rd, in that period,, on the other hand there was a Crabtree Cottage l believe off Derbyshire Lane, down by the Prince Of Wales pub ! perhaps that is the name that Aunt remembers. Cheers skeets