Strange Aircraft

hilldweller

I'm not normally into conspiracy theories, at the same time I'm not naive to think that our "great and good" don't get up to a lot of things that they'd rather we don't know about.

Sometime in the late 1990's, I can't remember exactly when, I attended the funeral of one of my uncles at Wainfleet & then Boston in Lincolnshire.

I drove and took my mother and an uncle & aunt as passengers. It was late in the year and we drove back after dark.

The journey went normally until we were driving along the straight A158 a few miles out of Lincoln.

Suddenly my uncle in the back off-side seat shouted out to look to the right.

Swooping towards us at a very low altitude was a very large dart-shaped aircraft. It was exactly the same shape as the paper darts we made as kids but it looked weirdly asymmetrical with one side missing.

My car at that time had one of those cheap sun-roofs comprising glass only with a pattern on it to stop glare, and as it passed over us I looked straight up into it's underside which seemed to be made of translucent material with pale orange lights in a sort of matrix shining through. Looking through the nearside passenger window, (I'd pulled-up by then) it still looked asymmetrical but the other way around if you can see what I mean.

We pulled into the side of the road and discussed what we had just seen and only then did we realise that the "thing" had been completely silent.

Looking on a map afterwards the "thing" would be on a course for RAF Waddington.

Looking on the t'internet recently there is mention of a "top secret" USAF project called Aurora which was going on at around the right time. Some descriptions of the plane mention a dart shaped plane. The articles also mention facilities to change it's apparent shape.

Did we all see a "top-secret" plane or was it a craft from rather further away.

Perhaps in time I'll find out, but I'm not holding my breath.

hilldweller

edit:- I've been looking up my old car records and the date must have been sometime between 1992 & 1995. That car was the only one I've ever owned with a sun-roof (of sorts)

HD

It was exactly the same shape as the paper darts we made as kids

HD

Due to cuts in the defence budget perhaps the RAF were replacing their expensive fighter aircraft with paper darts to save money.

If they weren't doing that at the time you are talking about hilldweller, they will be in the next financial year when the spending cuts in defence are announced.

I've been looking up my old car records and the date must have been sometime between 1992 & 1995. That car was the only one I've ever owned with a sun-roof (of sorts)

HD

I too have only ever had one car with a sunroof (of sorts)

I found that as my hair is thinning to baldness with age it often left me with the prospect of getting a sunburnt head while sat driving my car, or having to wear a hat in my car like these young reckless drivers do.

The better prospect was not to have a sunroof.

The sunroof only became useful on one occasion.

The car was a samll car (Rover Metro) and I couldn't get some 8 foot lengths of wood in it take them home.

However, if you remove the sunroof (it could be unclipped from the inside and taken out of its hinges) it left a hole in the roof which an 8 foot plank could protrude through, after coming from the lower rearmost part of the boot, up over the lowered rear seats and then out, only by about 2 - 3 feet, through the sunroof aperture.

I'm not normally into conspiracy theories, at the same time I'm not naive to think that our "great and good" don't get up to a lot of things that they'd rather we don't know about.

Sometime in the late 1990's, I can't remember exactly when, I attended the funeral of one of my uncles at Wainfleet & then Boston in Lincolnshire.

I drove and took my mother and an uncle & aunt as passengers. It was late in the year and we drove back after dark.

The journey went normally until we were driving along the straight A158 a few miles out of Lincoln.

Swooping towards us at a very low altitude was a very large dart-shaped aircraft. It was exactly the same shape as the paper darts we made as kids but it looked weirdly asymmetrical with one side missing.

My car at that time had one of those cheap sun-roofs comprising glass only with a pattern on it to stop glare, and as it passed over us I looked straight up into it's underside which seemed to be made of translucent material with pale orange lights in a sort of matrix shining through. Looking through the nearside passenger window, (I'd pulled-up by then) it still looked asymmetrical but the other way around if you can see what I mean.

We pulled into the side of the road and discussed what we had just seen and only then did we realise that the "thing" had been completely silent.

Looking on a map afterwards the "thing" would be on a course for RAF Waddington.

Looking on the t'internet recently there is mention of a "top secret" USAF project called Aurora which was going on at around the right time. Some descriptions of the plane mention a dart shaped plane. The articles also mention facilities to change it's apparent shape.

hilldweller

edit:- I've been looking up my old car records and the date must have been sometime between 1992 & 1995. That car was the only one I've ever owned with a sun-roof (of sorts)

HD

Are you sure it wasn't a Lockheed Sr-71 Blackbird - they look like a dart ?

see wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_SR-71_Blackbird"

These were largely based at RAF Alconbury near Huntingdon ( operated by the US Air Force) & were the spy planes that went over USSR. THey stopped using them when the cold war ended & Alconbury eventually shut I think.

John

Are you sure it wasn't a Lockheed Sr-71 Blackbird - they look like a dart ?

see wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_SR-71_Blackbird"

These were largely based at RAF Alconbury near Huntingdon ( operated by the US Air Force) & were the spy planes that went over USSR. THey stopped using them when the cold war ended & Alconbury eventually shut I think.

John

I'm quite sure that it wasn't a Blackbird. We only saw the plane in silhouette against the night sky but it was very low and flew right over us. The plane was shaped like an elongated isosceles triangle with a sharp point and perfectly straight sides and back edge.

We only saw the underside and couldn't see any superstructure as it disappeared in the gloom.

Some years before this we used to go to RAF Wainfleet to watch the USAF A10's. We initially went with the uncle who lived in Wainfleet (the one who died). RAF Wainfleet comprises of a modern conning tower on the dunes, a set of canvas gunnery targets set on poles on the mud-flats and a number of old warship hulks sunk further out in the mud.

We sat on top of the dunes as pairs of USAF A10's came across the sea from Germany, straffed the targets with their huge Gattling style cannon and then dropped little practice bombs on the hulks. The noise from the cannon was awesome and could be heard in Mablethorpe up the coast. If my memory serves me right the rate of fire is 70 rounds a second, a long loud rasp. When the planes had finished a RAF Land Rover would drive out and a bloke would paint around the shell holes with a brush on a long stick, very high tech. What really upset me though, was when they bombed the hulks they usually scored a hit every time, you could hear the clang when they bounced off the ships, but when on one occaision a couple of RAF Buccaneers turned up they nearest they managed was within about 100 yards.

We were sat there one day with a young nephew when a RAF officer walked up and gave the young lad a very expensive looking set of official aircraft recognition cards. He told us to hang around for a while as there was "something special on". A little later the A10's we were watching suddenly halted their routine and shot off back out to sea.

Within seconds there was a loud roar behind us and two Avro Vulcans shot over our heads at no more than about 100 feet altitude and started to circle over the range at what seemed like an extremely low speed and lining up on the canvas targets (not the hulks). They opened their enormous bomb doors and dropped a tiny practice bomb each on the canvas targets. This display went on for about 20 minutes and the specticle was heart-stopping as they seemed to be about to stall and fall out of the sky at any minute. How that enormous aircraft can fly that slow defeats me.

HD

I too have only ever had one car with a sunroof (of sorts)

I found that as my hair is thinning to baldness with age it often left me with the prospect of getting a sunburnt head while sat driving my car, or having to wear a hat in my car like these young reckless drivers do.

The better prospect was not to have a sunroof.

The sunroof only became useful on one occasion.

The car was a samll car (Rover Metro) and I couldn't get some 8 foot lengths of wood in it take them home.

However, if you remove the sunroof (it could be unclipped from the inside and taken out of its hinges) it left a hole in the roof which an 8 foot plank could protrude through, after coming from the lower rearmost part of the boot, up over the lowered rear seats and then out, only by about 2 - 3 feet, through the sunroof aperture.

I didn't want a sun-roof, it just so happened that the particular model came with a sun-roof as standard. I don't think that I ever opened it in anger so to speak. The car also came with cheap alloy wheels which gave me trouble after about two years. Salt got in the joint against the tyre and caused slow punctures. I had to have the tyres removed, the edges treated, and the tyres put back.

hilldweller

hilldweller

HD

Could it have been this.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9830

Could it have been this.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9830

Hard to say from the sideways view shown, but it seems to be much later in date. The outline of the one we saw was a pure tri-angle. If you google "aurora aircraft" there are artist's impressions and descriptions of an aircraft that is a pure tri-angle. Apparently this aircraft was flown in and out of a remote RAF airfield on a western scottish island and was seen by pilots from Manchester Airport flying over at night. It's also been seen by a chap on an oil-rig who used to be in the Observer Corp.It is supposed to use a liquid methane or hydrogen "scramjet" engine and that may be why it appeared to glide over us with no noise.

There's just a chance someone may admit to it's existance while I'm still alive.

I didn't want a sun-roof, it just so happened that the particular model came with a sun-roof as standard. I don't think that I ever opened it in anger so to speak. The car also came with cheap alloy wheels which gave me trouble after about two years. Salt got in the joint against the tyre and caused slow punctures. I had to have the tyres removed, the edges treated, and the tyres put back.

hilldweller

I didn't want a sunroof either but it had one anyway.

There are lots of things that come as standard on cars that I don't want or have no use for like an ashtray, an electric cigarette lighter and a hook above the rear passenger window to hang your suit up on. Great invention that, it turns your car into a mobile wardrobe and blocks your over the shoulder view into your mirror blind spots of vehicles coming up to overtake you.

There are lots of things that come as standard on cars that I don't want or have no use for like an ashtray, an electric cigarette lighter and a hook above the rear passenger window to hang your suit up on. Great invention that, it turns your car into a mobile wardrobe and blocks your over the shoulder view into your mirror blind spots of vehicles coming up to overtake you.

Ah but the real purpose apparently was to display your status as a rep. This would depend on thehanger you used. A wire hanger was totally naff, a top of the range wooden hanger with a snooty name embossed gave you kudos!

Ah but the real purpose apparently was to display your status as a rep. This would depend on thehanger you used. A wire hanger was totally naff, a top of the range wooden hanger with a snooty name embossed gave you kudos!

Yes you are right Bayleaf, the presence of a suit hung up in the back window of a car is a sure indication that the driver of that vehicle, as well as being a complete pillock, is probably employed in some "money for doing nothing but only on commission" type of job.

In fact, as reps use company cars you can even name the makes and models of cars most likely to have a suit hung in the window. (BMW top of the list!)

But if you ARE a complete pillock why advertise the fact by hanging your suit up in the window?

Why is it necessary to hang a suit up in a car like this? As a car has 4 - 5 seats and reps travel alone why not just lay your suit, nicely folded, on the otherwise unused back seat?

With one exception, all the cars I have owned over the last 15 years or so have come with a cigarette lighter outlet but with a dummy plug instead of a lighter. Of course these come in handy for all the gadgets like mobile phone chargers and sat-navs (no I don't own one). My present car even has an outlet in the boot. This had me puzzled until i realized that it could be used to keep a re-chargable lantern topped up. The exception to the rule was a japanese car that I bought for a change last September which came with a lighter insert. This was a big (and expensive) mistake and I got shut early this year. It nearly bounced my teeth out (and they're my own) and the road-holding on snow was slightly worse than those plastic sledges you can buy at Wilkinsons. Never again.

hilldweller

Of course these come in handy for all the gadgets like mobile phone chargers and sat-navs (no I don't own one).

I own the thinking mans version of sat-nav as I suspect many other well educated people do.

It's called a road map.

It works just like sat-nav except that it requires you to have the necessary intelligence to read and understand a map and not just blindly follow instructions.

Still, it's amazing how many "gadgets" people want to plug in to a 12v lead acid accumulator while driving along the highway.

Hilldweller, have you tried a Google search for 'The Sheffield Incident' which I think was March 1997? Your description sounds similar.

Hilldweller, have you tried a Google search for 'The Sheffield Incident' which I think was March 1997? Your description sounds similar.

Very interesting but my sighting was at least 2/3 years earlier.

Whatever it was it was on a bearing bang in line with the long runway at RAF Waddington and it appeared to be gliding in for a landing. I don't think it could have been a UFO unless they have arranged reciprocal landing rights with the Martians lol

I was tempted to contact the RAF via email, but I think that might herald a visit from "Men In Black"

HD

One Friday night in September 1986 my wife and I were driving down the Dronfield bypass for an evening out in Chesterfield. It was around 9pm and was dark and our attention was taken by a bright light above us which approached fast but seemed to hover above us for a few a seconds before speeding off again in the same direction. It was heading slightly north of eastwards towards Eckington and beyond. The light was bright enough to indicate that the craft was at a low altitude but its glare and the dark sky prevented a view of the actual craft. When it did move boy could it shift, - and there didn't appear to be any noise. It was the hovering above us that had un-nerved my wife a bit.

The very next day was the Saturday of the RAF Finningley airshow (they had the finningley airshow in 1986, it is now long gone and RAF Finningley is now better known as the civilian Robin Hood Airport, - the nearest we currently have to a "Sheffield Airport"). It suddenly occured to me that our mysterious light of the night before was heading directly towards RAF Finningley and so it must have been one of the display aircraft, - but which particular aircraft could do that I never found out. I also have no idea where, west of Chesterfield from out over Buxton and Bakewell, the aircraft had come from.

To this day I am convinced that what we saw was an aircraft destined for the RAF Finningley airshow.

However, my wife is utterly convinced that it was a Martian / Alien spacecraft.

The problem with conspiracy theories is that they rely on an awful lot of people keeping quiet. Something that is impossible in my view, as people are quite happy to spill the beans after they have left various employment. Secondly if it was possible for successive Governments to keep things so quiet, how did we get to hear about their expenses so easily????

The problem with conspiracy theories is that they rely on an awful lot of people keeping quiet. Something that is impossible in my view, as people are quite happy to spill the beans after they have left various employment. Secondly if it was possible for successive Governments to keep things so quiet, how did we get to hear about their expenses so easily????

Careless talk costs lives, somewhere there is a Red in the bed, a snake in the grass, a supergrass.

Many of the tabloid newspapers seem to think that they can do what they want, say what they want and do almost anything to increase their already ridiculous sales figures. they already have so much money that they can "publish and be dammed" regardless of any libel charges or "snooping", phone tapping, secretly photographing or stalking charges because they will only get a fine which they can easily afford to pay off.

THEY start most of the rumours and conspiricies because people will buy their papers and believe what they print.

But let us not forget that most of their journalists are overpaid, under educated, self opinionated arrogant prats!

...to the extent that no one with any sense believes a word they say anyway.

One particular tabloid, which since the Hillsborough disaster in 1989 no self respecting Liverpudlian will ever buy again, brings a whole new meaning to the expression,

"Lying in the Sun"

A related subject in my opinion is the reliance on technology for providing security.

I am very opposed to the I D cards that the last government were so keen on, not only because of the ever increasing threat of the surveillance society, but because I think they would lessen our security.

My reasoning is that while the system would be run by a large reputable company, the actual development of software and systems would be carried out by ordinary lesser mortals, subject to money problems, blackmail, and there will always be disgruntled former employees. These people will always be susceptable to an approach.

Master criminals and terror organisations have vast cash resources available to them and it wouldn't be long before cloned cards made an appearence, cloned "chip & pin" cards arrived almost as soon as the "foolproof" cards were introduced.

The biometric element is a red-herring in my opinion because very few expensive readers would exist and even they could be copied.

The government of the day said that you would be able to pop into a supermarket with a few documents and get your card. Just imagine what would happen if someone else got a card in your name at Tesco's, you would have a hell of a job proving that you were you when someone else could prove that they were you. Even if you were radically opposed to the cards you would have to get one to protect yourself from impersonation.

Experience tells us that not all the cleverest people are on the side of the angels, look at the idiots messing up the internet.

Rant over

Thank-you Vox for the loan of the soap-box, lol I've put it back in your shed.

hilldweller

A related subject in my opinion is the reliance on technology for providing security.

I am very opposed to the I D cards that the last government were so keen on, not only because of the ever increasing threat of the surveillance society, but because I think they would lessen our security.

My reasoning is that while the system would be run by a large reputable company, the actual development of software and systems would be carried out by ordinary lesser mortals, subject to money problems, blackmail, and there will always be disgruntled former employees. These people will always be susceptable to an approach.

Master criminals and terror organisations have vast cash resources available to them and it wouldn't be long before cloned cards made an appearence, cloned "chip & pin" cards arrived almost as soon as the "foolproof" cards were introduced.

The biometric element is a red-herring in my opinion because very few expensive readers would exist and even they could be copied.

The government of the day said that you would be able to pop into a supermarket with a few documents and get your card. Just imagine what would happen if someone else got a card in your name at Tesco's, you would have a hell of a job proving that you were you when someone else could prove that they were you. Even if you were radically opposed to the cards you would have to get one to protect yourself from impersonation.

Experience tells us that not all the cleverest people are on the side of the angels, look at the idiots messing up the internet.

Rant over

Thank-you Vox for the loan of the soap-box, lol I've put it back in your shed.

hilldweller

I'm with you on that one hilldweller.

It may be 2010 in real time but perhaps we are just approaching 1984 in George Orwell time <_<

...and BIG BROTHER is watching you! :unsure:

hilldweller

HD

I've now officially confirmed that the strange encounter took place on the evening of 2nd November 1994.

HD

That took longer than a royal commission

It's good going for me. :rolleyes:

There are things I'm still getting around to, that date before that. I'm still waiting for someone to buy me a "Round Tuit".

Being a "bit" out of the ordinary it's something that regularly grinds around in to the front of my mind and I recently had the bright idea of finding out the date of the funeral from official sources via the internet.

HD