Goodwood

ukelele lady

Has anyone been to Goodwood and what am I likely to expect?

Is it true almost every one dresses in 50s gear?

Lucky you. There are plenty of tips around on the web and videos on youtube (look at the people in the backgrounds on /www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdR3-mhh9ZU for example). It's not just the 50's though, 'period' covers late 30s to early 60's and it seems that about 2/3 of the people make the effort.

Now tempted to go this year by ths:

"Sixties Supermarket

Near the busy Revival Market will be a purpose-built early 1960s-inspired Tesco supermarket, displaying and selling a wide range of groceries from the era, including jars of Marmite especially packaged just for the Revival, as well as period-packaged cans of Barrs Cream Soda and Raspberry, tins of Tate and Lyle Golden Syrup and Fab ice cream lollies."

<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdR3-mhh9ZU?fs=1&hl=en_GB&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdR3-mhh9ZU?fs=1&hl=en_GB&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>

Thank you for the video, I've made a start , I've got my seamed stockings packed.

I didn't know anything about the sixties supermarket, I'll keep my eyes open

for that because I just loved the barr's cream soda. lol

Lucky you. There are plenty of tips around on the web and videos on youtube (look at the people in the backgrounds on /www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdR3-mhh9ZU for example). It's not just the 50's though, 'period' covers late 30s to early 60's and it seems that about 2/3 of the people make the effort.

Now tempted to go this year by ths:

"Sixties Supermarket

Near the busy Revival Market will be a purpose-built early 1960s-inspired Tesco supermarket, displaying and selling a wide range of groceries from the era, including jars of Marmite especially packaged just for the Revival, as well as period-packaged cans of Barrs Cream Soda and Raspberry, tins of Tate and Lyle Golden Syrup and Fab ice cream lollies."

I found the sixties Tesco Henry, the only trouble were the queues, for drinks, food, toilet, there were just too many people there

but I suppose that's a good thing for events like this.

John Surtees was there and Stirling Moss who was racing although not up front but he was on the track.

As you said there's more people dress in period costume than those that don't, I'm glad I made the effort.

It was difficult to try and take photographs because of the people walking across your path but here's a few.

The official 'Vintage at Goodwood' site.

www.vintageatgoodwood.com

Ah, but that's a different event: the combined fashion show/music festival (albeit with the Sheffield connection of Heaven 17 playing).

My internal jury is out on whether Mick Hucknall is a sensible replacement for Rod the Mod as frontman for the Faces.

I found the sixties Tesco Henry, the only trouble were the queues, for drinks, food, toilet, there were just too many people there

but I suppose that's a good thing for events like this.

John Surtees was there and Stirling Moss who was racing although not up front but he was on the track.

As you said there's more people dress in period costume than those that don't, I'm glad I made the effort.

It was difficult to try and take photographs because of the people walking across your path but here's a few.

1 hour program from ITV4 now available on ITV player. Mostly cars racing, but some asides.

(A racing austin a35!)

(and a quick shot of the supermarket at around 30 mins in)

My internal jury is out on whether Mick Hucknall is a sensible replacement for Rod the Mod as frontman for the Faces.

No need for a jury.

It's ridiculous.