Wybourn

Guest CarriKP

Guest plain talker

Did you ever learn Esperanto? I did many years ago .

It was going to be the big thing, the first modern universal language.

What happened to that I wonder, it all seems to have fizzled out now and

no one seems to mention it.

I did try, but it was very confusing, even for my "ear " for languages. the syntax threw me a bit. (which is odd, as I understand the grammar and syntax of Esperanto is supposed to be simplified, IITC?)

I'm learning Arabic,

I can read Russian, phonetically, (learnt the cyrillic alphabet) I used to speak/ read french fluently, though I'm a bit rusty these days. and some Spanish. I have a smattering of German.

And an amazing fact, here:- I learnt enough phrases of Setswana, (A tribal language of Botswana) to greet my friend's Botswanan parents politely when they came over to the UK a couple of years ago.

I don't know why Esperanto didn't grow as much as was hoped. I know for things like Shipping and air travel, the "universal" language is English. Maybe that's why it didn't take off?

I did try, but it was very confusing, even for my "ear " for languages. the syntax threw me a bit. (which is odd, as I understand the grammar and syntax of Esperanto is supposed to be simplified, IITC?)

I'm learning Arabic,

I can read Russian, phonetically, (learnt the cyrillic alphabet) I used to speak/ read french fluently, though I'm a bit rusty these days. and some Spanish. I have a smattering of German.

And an amazing fact, here:- I learnt enough phrases of Setswana, (A tribal language of Botswana) to greet my friend's Botswanan parents politely when they came over to the UK a couple of years ago.

I don't know why Esperanto didn't grow as much as was hoped. I know for things like Shipping and air travel, the "universal" language is English. Maybe that's why it didn't take off?

As English is universal I couldn't understand why some one was pushing for this one to succeed.

I found it a bit of French, German. English and Spanish all rolled into one.

It was said how many hundreds of countries used it but I think that was a bit of a exaggeration.

As English is universal I couldn't understand why some one was pushing for this one to succeed.

I found it a bit of French, German. English and Spanish all rolled into one.

It was said how many hundreds of countries used it but I think that was a bit of a exaggeration.

Esperanto never caught on for that very reason, - it was a mix of other languages which made it confusing and its grammatical rules more complex.

Also, it was to be a "universal European language", to "Unite Europe" in a common speech. For it to work, all Europe would have to accept the mutilation of their native language and a massive interjection of "foreign" words into it.

As the only people ever to conquer and rule most of Europe were the Romans, and as the Romans had a common European language throughout their empire, - much of which persists in many modern European languages today, including English, but more so in French, Spanish and Italian then surely it would have been better to adopt that language as the common European language. It also had a very simple, logical grammatical structure.

The language is of course Latin.

Guest T.Hey

If anyone is interested...

Last week three Archaeological trenches were excavated near Maltravers Place to evaluate the potential survival of remains related to Wybourn hall (which appears on a number of 18th century Fairbanks plans & 1st edition OS). Depending on the results, there may be a small follow-on excavation this spring/summer. I will be at the archive & LSL this week to try and dig up some references to Wybourn Hall in support of the fieldwork report. If anyone here knows of any obscure references to Wybourn Hall, please do let me know (Tatton's notes excepted).