Notice To Conductors

madannie77

It was, it appears, just about acceptable to let gentlemen jump from moving cars, but allowing ladies/lady passengers/females off was a no-no. I am quite impressed by the use of those three terms in one short message.

I assume it was partly due to the long dresses and skirts worn by women of the time being a hindrance. I have a vision of a tram conductor being hit around the head by a lady's parasol because he won't let her off until the tram stops he he:o

As an aside, Mr Fearnley was general manager of Sheffield Tramways/Tramsport Department for 33 years (1903-1936)

As an aside, Mr Fearnley was general manager of Sheffield Tramways/Tramsport Department for 33 years (1903-1936)

Arthur Robinson Fearnley; lived at 182 Psalter Lane.

http://archive.pepublishing.com/content/ar363x34327120p1/

http://www.cwk205.com/ronald-fearnley-t296.html

I assume it was partly due to the long dresses and skirts worn by women of the time being a hindrance. I have a vision of a tram conductor being hit around the head by a lady's parasol because he won't let her off until the tram stops he he:o

I think your assumptions about dress are right madannie.

As for the other bit, it reminds me of an extremely rude joke, certainly NOT to be posted on here, and NOT to be told in the presence of ladies and children.

CLUE

It is based on the joke which got Max Wall banned from TV for telling it during a TV broadcast in 1965.

Guest bus man

We actaully know an awfull lot about Mr Fearnley as a lot of his papers survive and his Grand Son followed him into the industry , he is currently as senior position with grand central

There is a very fine photo of Mr Fearnley with his new Crossley car parked on psalter lane.

Aparantley one of his ways was to go out in the evening and run his hand (with white glove of course) over the hand rails of any tram / bus he caught if he found dirt then the vehicle went back in and comments were made in the morning.

I attended a very intresting talk by his grand son on his grand fathers time at sheffield it was very intresting.