William Smith

Stuart0742

Received this query by email

Hi I have just been looking through your website and wondered if you could let me have any further information on William Smith of 32 Eyre Street who was a Wesleyan Minister in Sheffield in 1852. I believe that he was married to Margaret Smith formerly Brumby. I would like to find out where he preached and were he is buried if possible. Thanks, Elizabeth

Hi I have just been looking through your website and wondered if you could let me have any further information on William Smith of 32 Eyre Street who was a Wesleyan Minister in Sheffield in 1852. I believe that he was married to Margaret Smith formerly Brumby. I would like to find out where he preached and were he is buried if possible. Thanks, Elizabeth

Rev. William Smith, Curate of St Mary's; William Square (White's 1852) also listed at 32 Eyre Street.

----------------------------------------------

William Square anyone ??

Rev William Smith, listed under Gentry & Clergy, Vicarage, St. James' Street (Pigots 1841)

Rev. William Smith, Curate of St Mary's; William Square (White's 1852) also listed at 32 Eyre Street.

----------------------------------------------

William Square anyone ??

Rev. William Smith, Curate of St Mary's, 165 Fitzwilliam Street (White's 1849)

Guest nextdoor7

Rev William Smith, listed under Gentry & Clergy, Vicarage, St. James' Street (Pigots 1841)

Thanks for your help on this one...all information greatly received

Guest ashleigh921732173123

Hi, I was just wondering whether anyone had any information on either of william smith's parents

Guest kazisindahouse

Hi there

Forgotten that I had subscribed to this site and came across a posting I had made by accident which then led me to having a look through the messages on the forum.

As I have a William Smith in my family it led me to your posting but sadly they are not one and the same.

However from the postings above I was able to find your William on both the 1851 and 1861 census. In 1851 as the Whites Directory suggests William and Margaret were living in Sheffield. However by 1861 they had retired to Scarborough. It says on the entries that William was born in 1793 in Sheffield, however I havent yet found him on the 1841 census.

Hope this helps

Karen

Guest Smith Family Austral

Guys,

since we are on the topic of Rev William Smith and Margaret Smith nee Brumby, three of the sons and one daughter emigrated to Melbourne, Australia. It appears only one son remained in the UK, Dr John Brumby Smith [1822 - 1890] who was a doctor in Toxteth Park who married Mary Ann Lupton.

Does anyone have any information on this family and why did everyone leave Sheffield and just leave the parents behind in Ackworth? I've heard some story that Margaret was very prominent with the Quaker movement in the UK. Also, do we know where they are buried in Sheffield?

Michael