A Quite Difficult Question

RichardB

How might a sweep-smelter have become wealthy ? (and what did they do ?)

A sweep-smelter extracted microscopical atoms of gold left on floors of jewelery factories, and water where workmen washed their hands or their aprons. He could become rich by having the gold smelted. :rolleyes: Have to confess that I googled this

Detailed Sheffield Castle three part question.

1) A resolution was passed in the House of Commons that Sheffield Castle should be made untenable; on what date was it passed ?

2) What date was the resolution passed for "sleighting and demolishing it" ? (1647, date required)

3) Who belatedly issed orders to his agents to repair and rebuild the Castle on 5th January 1649 ?

The House of Commons passed a resolution on 30th April 1646 that Sheffield Castle should be made untenable.

On 13th July 1647 a resolution was made regarding the sleighting and demolition of the Castle and the Earl of Arundel purchased the castle in 1649 intending to restore it. However, this was never done as the demolition work that had been started on the castle meant that it was too damaged to be restored.

:blink: managed to find this information from Wikipedia and think it's answered your questions.

Nice going Ellesse, nothing Richard likes better than someone who will take on a challenge! Welcome to SH, we're all a little maluco here....but nice with it.

The House of Commons passed a resolution on 30th April 1646 that Sheffield Castle should be made untenable.

On 13th July 1647 a resolution was made regarding the sleighting and demolition of the Castle and the Earl of Arundel purchased the castle in 1649 intending to restore it. However, this was never done as the demolition work that had been started on the castle meant that it was too damaged to be restored.

:blink: managed to find this information from Wikipedia and think it's answered your questions.

About as right as right can be - Well done !!! (Never thought of looking in Wikipedia myself though ...)

Nice going Ellesse, nothing Richard likes better than someone who will take on a challenge! Welcome to SH, we're all a little maluco here....but nice with it.

Thought I'd got one to get you scratching your head there Pal; Ellesse will now be able to tell us the names of the two Ministers of Queen Elizabeth that decided, along with the Earl of Shrewsbury that Mary QoS would be moved to captivity in Sheffield and which of them sent the letter giving Elizabeth's permission.

(I'll have to find a more difficult question next time :P )

Never heard of this place myself, one for the USA/Canada people to consider overnight.

Costnough Hall

not a mickey-take, within the Old Sheffield Town - between Fargate, Dixon Lane, the bottom of Snig Hill and West Bar - so not a very large area.

1 SheffieldHistiry house points for finding a reference to it

14 SheffieldHistory house points for a dating

37 SheffieldHistory house points for an EXACT location (within 50 yards)

904 SheffieldHistory house points for further information - because I have never heard of it (and, no, it's not to do with my newly aquired Gattty's version of Hunter's Hallamshire - did I mention I got that today ? lol )

The newspaper article is from 1939 - though it relates to a much earlier time.

Have fun Kittens !

OK, no guesses, let's make the area smaller - this building was somewhere in the area from the top end of Angel Street to the bottom end of Snig Hill and also somewhere between the Hen and Chickens Pub and Figtree Lane - I suppose a map would be handy at this point lol

I have attached a drawing of the building, though I've had to truncate the lower right-hand side so as to not give the game away.

Not sure how difficult this is, but here goes ...

What is it ? (not many points)

Where might it have been found ? (some points)

Any idea as to the date ? (all depends on how good your answer(s) to the second part was/were; could be dead easy).

Where did the man in the lighter coloured overcoat get his tie from ?

(The last bit is for Tsavo; don't tell him, he could be looking for days !!!)

The big writing on the side of the "thing" in the first photo might help; it says LETTER

Is it a prototype letter I to put in the word SHEFFIELD in a hill over looking the City like they have in Holywood ?

Is it a prototype letter I to put in the word SHEFFIELD in a hill over looking the City like they have in Holywood ?

Nice idea, but no.

Barkers Pool Bridge

Yes, you did read that correctly, Barkers Pool Bridge.

Anyone with any knowledge, dates or, indeed, explanation as to why there would have been a bridge in Barkers Pool ?