A Quite Difficult Question

RichardB

Well done with the Plus !

Nailmakers wasn't in Sheffield at the time concerned ... it was in Norton, Derbyshire. Plus it just looks too modern.

Good I will stop looking for info then!!! I have found a Beerhouse keeper Back Moor Norton 1854 but no name of premises.

well after a bit of a search here we go

"His physical superiority, however, was as nothing compared to his gigantic mind. He was Ralph 124C 41+, one of the greatest living scientists and one of ten men on the whole planet earth permitted to use the Plus sign after his name."

Now who can find any proof of the claim of the Nailmakers Arms to be the oldest pub in Sheffield :blink:

The oldest pub in Sheffield was The Bull and Oak in The Wicker ,always a pub .Now demolished.

10 out of 10 to the glazier/leaded window thingie maker for putting/making the letter 'N' the wrong way round in this piece of stained glass window.

10 House Points for this one.

---------------------------------

Please define/discuss "The Stuffing System" or "Taking Up" as carried out in Sheffield in the 17th and 18th Centuries.

Consideration will be given for details regarding the implementation of the system and its impact on local population, traders, manufacturers, example of prices etc.

---------------------------------

I sense a certain amount of swearing and head-scratching in Portugal maybe ...

As a first pointer to the Stuffing System I have found this little snippet

"Stuffing was a system in which goods (stuff) were taken in place of money and passed along until the last person, usually the workmen, received the stuff instead of payment leaving the latter without money with which to buy his subsistence. the practice was regarded as totally obnoxious throughout the town."

Quote thanks to Eric Crookes.

A local businessman and aspiring politician a certain Mr Samuel Bailey was a major player in the stuffing system, this is widely regarded as to why he was never voted for by the working man.

I could go into greater detail but will instead point the curious to our old friend R.E.Leader. with this quote,

"" This forcing of stuff, concretely " stuffing," upon men who could not help themselves, was also called "taking up." The firm of Beilby and Proctor,and the Baileys (Bailey, Eadon and Bailey) had, rightly or wrongly, the reputation of largely carrying on the obnoxious system‹and the unpopularity they incurred lasted so long after the system fell into desuetude, that the defeat of Mr.Samuel Bailey, at the first Parliamentary election for Sheffield, ~as attributed by some in close touch with public sentiment,

to the prejudice still existing in the minds of the townsfolk against the race of factors to whom he had belonged."

Hope that's a couple of points worth Richard!!

Great work, give me the "normal" price of tea and the "stuffing" price of tea and you can have all ten lol

Now, I have to say I'd never come across this one with respect to Sheffield Pubs :

Tim Bobbin

so, some marks for a history of the man himself, and boat laods of marks for identifying the Sheffield Pub (no tricks, no hiding one away in deepest Norton, or some bit that wasn't Sheffield until 1974) that bore this name. That obviously means you will know the two alternative names this place was known by.

Now, I have to say I'd never come across this one with respect to Sheffield Pubs :

Tim Bobbin

so, some marks for a history of the man himself, and boat laods of marks for identifying the Sheffield Pub (no tricks, no hiding one away in deepest Norton, or some bit that wasn't Sheffield until 1974) that bore this name. That obviously means you will know the two alternative names this place was known by.

Hi RichardB

Tim Bobbin was the pen-name of JohnCollier, born in Urmston in 1708. His father was a minister and school master until he became blind at the age of 46. John had then to abandon hopes of further education and earn a living which he did initially as an apprenticed weaver and later as a teacher at Milnrow near Rochdale

John Collier was an accomplished artist and displayed his work in pubs. It was soon in great demand. In April 1744 he married Mary Clay of Flockton near Huddersfield. Apart from a brief, unhappy move to Yorkshire, John remained in Milnrow until his death on 14th July 1786. He lies buried in Rochdale Churchyard.

So can we asume the referance to his unhappy move to Yorkshire is what we are looking for ?

Hi RichardB

Tim Bobbin was the pen-name of JohnCollier, born in Urmston in 1708. His father was a minister and school master until he became blind at the age of 46. John had then to abandon hopes of further education and earn a living which he did initially as an apprenticed weaver and later as a teacher at Milnrow near Rochdale

John Collier was an accomplished artist and displayed his work in pubs. It was soon in great demand. In April 1744 he married Mary Clay of Flockton near Huddersfield. Apart from a brief, unhappy move to Yorkshire, John remained in Milnrow until his death on 14th July 1786. He lies buried in Rochdale Churchyard.

So can we asume the referance to his unhappy move to Yorkshire is what we are looking for ?

It's much worse than that !

"that bore this name"

this doesn't mean he even touched Sheffield, just his fame ! If I didn't know the answer - even I couldn't find this one !!! Just a toughie for those that really, really like to hunt - there is an answer to it - honest (Park).

For those not into deep, deep thought and hunting for the answers to meaninglessly difficult questions - watch, enjoy the hair-loss, take the Mickey

It's much worse than that !

"that bore this name"

this doesn't mean he even touched Sheffield, just his fame ! If I didn't know the answer - even I couldn't find this one !!! Just a toughie for those that really, really like to hunt - there is an answer to it - honest (Park).

For those not into deep, deep thought and hunting for the answers to meaninglessly difficult questions - watch, enjoy the hair-loss, take the Mickey

Park was small hint, Lord is another; the two other known names for this boozer relate to Jobs/crafts, as opposed to people. (1850's)

I'll drop this one here, even though it's Pub-related. This place, may, or may not have existed; there is certainly a place in Shifnal called the same (Shifnal ???).

There is a tiny piece of evidence that may hint at a Sheffield boozer so rare it's not mentioned in A Pub on Every Corner or indeed the A-Z of Sheffield Public Houses. Personally, I'd be happy with any information regarding the Jermingham Arms in whatever town; who, or what was a Jermingham, what year does it relate to ?

If you're one of the SheffieldHistory-Headscratchers, an exclusive Club, mainly bald and found mumbling incoherently - Enjoy :blink:

I'll drop this one here, even though it's Pub-related. This place, may, or may not have existed; there is certainly a place in Shifnal called the same (Shifnal ???).

There is a tiny piece of evidence that may hint at a Sheffield boozer so rare it's not mentioned in A Pub on Every Corner or indeed the A-Z of Sheffield Public Houses. Personally, I'd be happy with any information regarding the Jermingham Arms in whatever town; who, or what was a Jermingham, what year does it relate to ?

If you're one of the SheffieldHistory-Headscratchers, an exclusive Club, mainly bald and found mumbling incoherently - Enjoy :blink:

Hi RichardB Are you sure about the spelling is it Jermingham or Jerningham.

Jerningham Wine Cooler.

Guest Gramps

Just read through this thread....some tricky questions there !

Here's one of mine:

Where were 'The Iron Railings' and where were they, reputedly, moved to ?

The prize is answering one of these, that and winding Tsavo up.

Real answer is working to find an answer to a question you didn't know you wanted to ask - then seeing people rise to the challenge.

Guest plain talker

Park was small hint, Lord is another; the two other known names for this boozer relate to Jobs/crafts, as opposed to people. (1850's)

Could it be The Park Gardener's Club?

What was the startup capital of the Brightside and Carbrook Co-op (i.e. an amount of money) ? and what did they spend it on (two items).

You forgot to mention Hawksley Avenue as from Hawksley.

PopT

The plot has officially been lost on this thread, I can't recall what this question was about ! The chances of me remembering the answer are thus - slim at best - please remind me of the question.