A Quite Difficult Question

RichardB

"Mr. Holland, at the Angel, opened a public coffee-room."

Hugh

Knickers, I posted the link to PictureSheffield for that !!!!

The Spirit is willing, the brain, however, left the building with Elvis lol

Who (supposedly) was to be seen walking up the High Street (1860's), smoking a cigar whilst flanked by two policemen with a third one following close behind ?

Questions :

Who was he ?

Where was he heading (as precise an answer as possible please) ?

Why the police ?

Why do birds suddenly appear everytime you are near ? etc etc

Who (supposedly) was to be seen walking up the High Street (1860's), smoking a cigar whilst flanked by two policemen with a third one following close behind ?

Questions :

Who was he ?

Where was he heading (as precise an answer as possible please) ?

Why the police ?

Why do birds suddenly appear everytime you are near ? etc etc

After cogitating at length

(from Wikipedia)

The name of his destination is above the narrow alley, and I think it is still there, though the buildings have changed.

Outrageous!

Hugh

Superb, well done ! Two out of three - we will forget the Carpenters bit.

So, why the police ? There's a hint in the question - 1860's ...

<Note to self : think of a more difficult question>

Super answer, great link !

See if you can find "The Making of Sheffield" document .... if not PM me ... I'm re-editing it at the moment.

A multi-parter : Some of which has been answered before, but, for the delightment and delictation of newer Members (Sounds like the Black and White Minstrels Show !!!)

1) How many Town Halls has Sheffield had ?

2) What was/is the location of all four ? (If you can't get past question one now, give up; this is a Tsavo wind-up question)

3) What was the nickname of Town Hall Number Two ? Situated by the Gates of Sheffield Church (The Cathedral as it was to become). Somebody or others Parlour .... (Easy, already answered on here)

4) Who's "Parlour" was it before the answer to Number Three, Sam ? (Not meaning to Leader you on, but my Leader may just be better than your Leader - mine has money applied to it Mr Portugal)

Which narrow lane, a nest of filth and iniquity, was "improved off the face of the earth".

(Assortment of clues : There was a Pub on there; I firmly believe a thoroughfare of the same name exists to this day,

Central, i.e. part of Sheffield Town; no more than 300 yards from the Cathedral; Eadon; Westbar Green)

Could any name be more inappropriate than Paradise Square ?

Mr S. O Addy has reminded me (this is Leader speaking; some kind of hint, huh ?) that "Paradise" usually shortened into "XXXXXX", is an ancient name for a ------, or -------- -----.

Just fill in the blanks, the number of X's or -'s match the number of letters required, e.g. -------- might represent fishface

Enjoy

Paradise shortened to 'Parade' name for a 'garden' as in cathedral garden. ...

perhaps ?

Havig problems counting the number of dashes, it's sendig my eyes all funny .. :blink:

Mr S. O Addy has reminded me (this is Leader speaking; some kind of hint, huh ?) that "Paradise" usually shortened into "XXXXXX", is an ancient name for a XXXXXX, or XXXXXXXX XXXXX.

Just fill in the blanks, the number of X's or -'s match the number of letters required, e.g. XXXXXXXX might represent fishface

Enjoy - is that better ?

QUOTE (RichardB @ Jul 4 2008, 08:51 PM)

Mr S. O Addy has reminded me (this is Leader speaking; some kind of hint, huh ?) that "Paradise" usually shortened into "XXXXXX", is an ancient name for a XXXXXX, or XXXXXXXX XXXXX.

Just fill in the blanks, the number of X's or -'s match the number of letters required, e.g. XXXXXXXX might represent fishface

Enjoy - is that better ?

Now i can count the letters, thanks Richard.

'Paradise' shortened to Parvis an ancient name for a garden, or enclosed space

Also

definition of parvis

1. [n] - a courtyard or portico in front of a building (especially a cathedral)

We're limping this one towards 5,000 views ...

This doesn't have a Sheffield connection except my Dad used to wobble on about it; when I got to read a chunk of it, I realised how visionary the author was. Enough clues, if you're up for it here goes :

R124C41+

The "R" is for Ralph, read the rest like this

Ralph, one too forsee for one

The question, other than what the heck am I talking about is - what did the Plus signify ?

Well without knowing what the + signifies, are we looking at "The shape of things to come" H G Wells

It's not H G Wells, its a Romance of the Year 2660 by Hugo G (1929)

By the year 2660, science has transformed and conquered the world. Inventors are highly prized and respected, jealously protected and lavishly cared for by world governments. That support and acclaim - as the most brilliant of scientists, Ralph 124C 41+, discovers - is not without its price.

Should be easy now !

well after a bit of a search here we go

"His physical superiority, however, was as nothing compared to his gigantic mind. He was Ralph 124C 41+, one of the greatest living scientists and one of ten men on the whole planet earth permitted to use the Plus sign after his name."

Now who can find any proof of the claim of the Nailmakers Arms to be the oldest pub in Sheffield :blink: