A Quite Difficult Question

RichardB

It is near a dam Richard, but in what area ?

Langsett Reservoir, in the Peak District National Park, was created on October 17 1904 when the Little Don River valley was flooded to supply water to Sheffield, Doncaster and Rotherham.

Langsett villagers and National Park rangers are setting up a weekend of displays to commemorate the moment when the then Sheffield Corporation Water Works chairman, Alderman P. R. Gainsford, closed the valve to dam the river, whose waters come straight from the Pennine moors.

http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/index/news/...age.htm?id=8098

Best guess lol

That's a good guess and without knowing i would have said that the palaque was near one of the large reservoirs.

The area where the railings and plaque can be seen, has just the one dam left now and it's not built on a river.

That's a good guess and without knowing i would have said that the palaque was near one of the large reservoirs.

The area where the railings and plaque can be seen, has just the one dam left now and it's not built on a river.

Next guess Crooks, Dam House, near Weston Park, no reason, just a guess.

Yes Richard, Crookes is the area and the railings are on the corner of Whtham Rd (A57) and Northumberland Rd.

There's a sports ground behind them ... flash earth

Well done.

Drinking fountains, now, there is something you don't see around. There must have been plenty of them in Sheffields history.

Right, enough droning on, here's the question ...

Who paid for Sheffields first drinking fountain and who "opened" it (date also required) ?

The first drinking fountain was built into the wall of the then Town Hall in 1857

The first stone to be laid was by a Mr Horace Mayhew and the cost was met by

Messrs. Levy and Sons, clothiers. but who actually cut the ribbon still to find out.

Well no luck yet Syrup have found the date of the statue at the cathedral is 1860.

I am glad you asked though as I was unaware of his history and work, quite a man.

Whilst here I do have a little question to pose of my own

Who produced this

and what price would it reach in todays market

Manufactured by Thomas Pilkington of Sheffield, price around £2800.

Well no luck yet Syrup have found the date of the statue at the cathedral is 1860.

I am glad you asked though as I was unaware of his history and work, quite a man.

Hi dobberd

It seems there is a window in his memory as well but i have lost the site with it on,

But i have found two sites that are most interesting one stating that the Fountain was

installed in the 19th century someone must know the exact year somewhere out there??

http://public-art.shu.ac.uk/pmsa/sheffield...~sheffield.html

http://public-art.shu.ac.uk/sheffield/index.html#M

Just to give this topic a bit of a bump, if anyone does know the year the drinking fountain was opened or could point in the direction of who in the real world may have the info, council records etc. Any help gratefully received.

But for now an interesting insight into the respect given to James Montgomery from even the "undesirables" of Sheffield

Booty Back

In 1812, James Montgomery's Sheffield home was broken into and a treasured inkstand, a gift from the ladies of Sheffield, was stolen. A public outcry ensued and the inkstand was soon returned with the following message:

"Honored sir: When we robbed your house we did not know that you wrote such beautiful verses as you do. I remember my mother told some of them to me when I was a boy. I found what house we robbed by the writing on the inkstand. Honored sir, I send it back. It was my share of the booty, and I hope you and God will forgive me."

Taken from anecdotage.com

Here's one to exercise your brain-cell. Sorry, cells ...

This belongs in Sheffield Places Now Gone, Sheffield History, Genealogy, Famous People, Sheffield Music - so it's here lol

Wilson Peck the music shop. Used to be on the opposite corner, Pinstone Street and Barker's Pool (then it included Fargate). Founded 1892. Then they moved to Beethoven House, corner of Barker's Pool and Leopold Street and we all bought sheet music, instruments and queued for Concert tickets, then it moved again, then it closed etc etc.

John Peck was a violinist and music teacher, performed at Sheffield Albert Hall, much respected musician.

Arthur Wilson was none of these things, he wasn't even Arthur Wilson ! So, your question, who was he ?

Arthur Wilson was none of these things, he wasn't even Arthur Wilson ! So, your question, who was he ?

Initially he couldn't even make his mind up on his, new, false name !

Arthur Peck Wilson (& Co. Ltd.) pianoforte, harmonium & American organ warerooms

2-8 Pinstone Street & Barker's Pool, Fargate (Kelly's 1893)

Henry Steel-makers family from Sheffield beginning with "M"

Henry Mushett, was apparently the real name of Wilson.

Another question which may or not be hard.

When was the first coffee shop opened in Sheffield and at what location?

Another question which may or not be hard.

When was the first coffee shop opened in Sheffield and at what location?

Nice one lol

Most of my resources are at work, 35 miles away; not driving back there over a Bank Holiday Weekend !!!!

Here's a starter (but I think it's much earlier)

James Theaker, The London coffee house, 25 Haymarket, Sheffield (from White's 1833)

It is indeed earlier and with your knowledge of Sheffield public houses

you may find it within your research!

It is indeed earlier and with your knowledge of Sheffield public houses

you may find it within your research!

I'll leave it for a newcomer person to find ...

he says, pretending he has a clue ...