A Quite Difficult Question

RichardB

Largest contributor was a Mrs Fell - about whom, I can tell you nothing more.

Any relation to the Dr Fell of nursery rhyme fame?

There has been discussion about water supply from the White House Dam, so, water was sold by the bucketful , or barrel full but what was the name of the family in charge of the supply ?

Just for fun.

The answer is "out there", freely available in the spirit of this topic.

Those who make a habit of analysing whats left of my thought processes should have this in about 10 secondsflat.

Never afraid to stick my head up and get shot at ...

Fair warning, I didn't come across this online and I've not looked (that's your task, should you take up the challenge).

What place does a "Strelley Pegge" have in Sheffield History ?

Bonus "Sheffileld History House Points" for the most detail. (About the same face value as Green Shield Stamps so don't get too excited).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having had a quick pootle - this is for newer members only - way too easy for the likes of those that frequent this place often - members with 30 posts or less, methinks.

Gentlemen : The game works merrily and we brush away all obstacles before us. If we appear to be rather long about it you see we are none the less sure. It is your turn next, and the man who pays back would be the first to get it, If I but move my finger you are next to eternity assure as fate. Be advised and take the hint in time.

---------------------------------------

What's that about then ? Date ? Missive directed to who ? (book, not internet - fair warning).

"From the first I was taken with the Sheffield people.

Rough in the extreme, twenty or thirty years behind other towns, and very uneducated, there was yet a heartiness about them, not without shrewdness, which attracted me."

Who ? When ?

(No idea if this is difficult or not !)

Hope so.

(From a book)

It was began to be erected in the year 1793. On Wednesday Sept. 3d, the first stone was laid by Richard Swallow, Esq. of Attercliffe, as deputed

by Mrs. Fell, of New Hall, a lady who generously gave one thousand pounds towards the institution.

Who was the largest contributor to the building fund for the Infirmary ? and who laid the foundation stone as her deputy ? (I can't answer the second part ... )

Mrs Fell from Hallamshire

It was began to be erected in the year 1793. On Wednesday Sept. 3d, the first stone was laid by Richard Swallow, Esq. of Attercliffe, as deputed

by Mrs. Fell, of New Hall, a lady who generously gave one thousand pounds towards the institution.

Largest contributor was a Mrs Fell - about whom, I can tell you nothing more.

Sheffield Independent 10 Oct 1829

report of a dinner held at the Tontine after the 32nd Annual meeting of the subscribers and benefactors of the Infirmary...

-- ------ -----, a somewhat voluminous writer, who settled here about I725, was both eminent and eccentric. He is said to have been a man of quick apprehension and hot temper, coarse and blunt, clinging as tenaciously to the diet as to the accent of his native Scotland. At the porridge parties given to his friends, no spoon or other aid was provided, the guests being expected to rely on nature, and use their lips. :)

Who held "porridge parties" but didn't provide spoons ?

(From a book)

The three bears? lol

Nice thought !

Google

porridge party sheffield 1725

and it's available online after all.

The three bears? lol

James Montgomery was jailed for printing a song sheet for an unknown beggar and ballad-singer.

Plenty of information on Montgomery in that link, so, to the question ...

After only 218 years - name the beggar/ballard monger.

(In the original spirit of AQDQ, the answer is freely available, no special subscriptions needed, it is not recommended for nwer members to spend too long trying to find this answer - it might just drive you bonkers ... Vox, however might just crack it and I expect nothing less than an original recording of the beggar singing from Syrup !)

James Montgomery was jailed for printing a song sheet for an unknown beggar and ballad-singer.

Plenty of information on Montgomery in that link, so, to the question ...

After only 218 years - name the beggar/ballard monger.

(In the original spirit of AQDQ, the answer is freely available, no special subscriptions needed, it is not recommended for nwer members to spend too long trying to find this answer - it might just drive you bonkers ... Vox, however might just crack it and I expect nothing less than an original recording of the beggar singing from Syrup !)

John Knott ?

HD

Knott the answer I have, from a document written by Montgomery.

Well if it was not Knott then it must have been Jordan.

HD

So, huh, you've known the answer for the last 200 years and have just been keeping it a secret ...

Joseph Jordan it was. Good job HD.

Answer hiding on page 88

Well if it was not Knott then it must have been Jordan.

HD

So, huh, you've known the answer for the last 200 years and have just been keeping it a secret ...

Joseph Jordan it was. Good job HD.

Answer hiding on page 88

+

I can't remember where I read it but it wasn't on that document and he was only described as Jordan.

HD

I'm prepared to be wrong again, maybe this is dead easy, maybe it's not. Just trying to provide mental stimulation.

Provide a link between Mount Pleasant, Sharrow and Columbia Place near the railway station please ...

Would love several photos of Columbia Place if possible; always driving whenever I'm in Sheffield (which is not a regular event in the last 30 years).

Can somebody confirm the street address of Columbia Place please ?

I'm prepared to be wrong again, maybe this is dead easy, maybe it's not. Just trying to provide mental stimulation.

Provide a link between Mount Pleasant, Sharrow and Columbia Place near the railway station please ...

Would love several photos of Columbia Place if possible; always driving whenever I'm in Sheffield (which is not a regular event in the last 30 years).

Can somebody confirm the street address of Columbia Place please ?

See this topic

Columbia Place is on Suffolk Road

(old stomping ground of 2 moderators :rolleyes: )