A Quite Difficult Question

RichardB

Tocsin

Don't know if this is difficult or not; but I'd never heard of it.

There are multiple answers the one I'm after relates to the period May - October 1840 and is specific to Sheffield.

I think the most difficult thing will be reading it: it appears to be a long winded anti-Papist rant in Victorian guise.The author(s) of the first paragraph sums it up nicely by claiming the aim of the Church of Rome is "the perversion of England to Popery". And there are 90 plus pages of it :o

I think the most difficult thing will be reading it: it appears to be a long winded anti-Papist rant in Victorian guise.The author(s) of the first paragraph sums it up nicely by claiming the aim of the Church of Rome is "the perversion of England to Popery". And there are 90 plus pages of it :o

Tocsin

Well found ! Indeed a difficult read, but, its history and Sheffield-related - had you heard of it Madannie ? because I'm sure I hadn't.

May we should transcribe any interesting Sheffield bits ... or maybe not.

Tocsin

Well found ! Indeed a difficult read, but, its history and Sheffield-related - had you heard of it Madannie ? because I'm sure I hadn't.

May we should transcribe any interesting Sheffield bits ... or maybe not.

I have come across Tocsin used by radical groups of various kinds as a name for a newsletter or pamphlet, tocsin being an alarm bell or signal, but I had not come across the Sheffield version before.

I will be easy to transcribe the interesting bits, if the rest of it is as bad as the first couple of pages. Not only is most (if not all) of it utter drivel, but it is written in fantastically flowery and convoluted Victorian English. I might have found a cure for the insomnia I occasionally suffer from lol .

I have come across Tocsin used by radical groups of various kinds as a name for a newsletter or pamphlet, tocsin being an alarm bell or signal, but I had not come across the Sheffield version before.

I will be easy to transcribe the interesting bits, if the rest of it is as bad as the first couple of pages. Not only is most (if not all) of it utter drivel, but it is written in fantastically flowery and convoluted Victorian English. I might have found a cure for the insomnia I occasionally suffer from lol .

The Oxford Tract Heresy has assumed a more distinct position in the Church and is now prominently before the nation as theologically characterising a sect of men who are pendulating between the fervid mummeries of Popery and the simple piety of Protestantism The recent defections from Protestantism in the persons of the Rev RW Sibthorp and others sufficiently indicate the direction which the whole sect will ultimately take God grant the whole result may come before our venerable ecclesiastical establishment be irreparably damaged.

--------------------------------

Now't wrong with that passage (from the introduction), I'm fond of fervid mummeries as it happens.

Prince Charles Edward Stuart, the Young Pretender supposedly stayed in Sheffield, what was the name of the house he stayed in please ?

(In fact he was not in England until the next year but we will let that slide for the purpose of the question).

The last difficult question turned out not to be difficult, here's hoping this one is (in a Sense).

Ludlam's Dog, so Lazy

It used to lay down to Bark

Associated with Witches in Surrey and many other places; but also asociated with which Sheffield Pub please ?

And, what year, what century even !

Ludlam's Dog, so Lazy

It used to lay down to Bark

Associated with Witches in Surrey and many other places; but also asociated with which Sheffield Pub please ?

And, what year, what century even !

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Hall_of_Waltheof/Chapter_XVIII

12.↑ "In my boyish days, one Ludlam kept it. Was it he to whom belonged the dog which gave occasion to the proverbial saying,

'As idle as Ludlam's dog, that lay down to bark'?" [No such public house as the " Royal Oak " occurs in a Sheffield Directory dated 1822 (Baines, Leeds), in Scotland street,

but two other "Royal Oaks" are mentioned. Nor does it occur in a Directory of 1849. The Directory of 1787 has "Ludlam George, victualler, Scotland Street."—S. O. A.]"

http://en.wikisource...f/Chapter_XVIII

12.↑ "In my boyish days, one Ludlam kept it. Was it he to whom belonged the dog which gave occasion to the proverbial saying,

'As idle as Ludlam's dog, that lay down to bark'?" [No such public house as the " Royal Oak " occurs in a Sheffield Directory dated 1822 (Baines, Leeds), in Scotland street,

but two other "Royal Oaks" are mentioned. Nor does it occur in a Directory of 1849. The Directory of 1787 has "Ludlam George, victualler, Scotland Street."—S. O. A.]"

Perfect !

Try this one for the New Year ' Windsor Castle' (a house) 1850's and it's out in the sticks a bit.

I like it !!!

Got no idea, at present, obviously he he

Try this one for the New Year ' Windsor Castle' (a house) 1850's and it's out in the sticks a bit.

Not counting the pubs (ale house) I assume.

I, for one, needeth a clue, prithee ...

A Load of Old Tosh - Shakespeare

But, for my own part, it was Greek to me.

Julius Caesar (Act I, Scene II)

Did Shakespeare say "A load of Old Tosh"? :unsure:

Or was it me? lol

In another topic where the Bard was mentioned I expressed my dislike for his works by dismissing them as either "A load of old tosh" or something similar.

If Shakespeare said it first than that was clever of me wasn't it, - using one of his own catchphrases to belittle his entire works ;-)

Not counting the pubs (ale house) I assume.

Not marked as but I suppose it could have been ?

I have come to the conclusion that Windsor Castle is not within the present Sheffield boundary,

although it was just to the east of Wharncliffe Chase.

This is where it was ..

Flash Earth

Sorry to have misled.

Not marked as but I suppose it could have been ?

I have come to the conclusion that Windsor Castle is not within the present Sheffield boundary,

although it was just to the east of Wharncliffe Chase.

This is where it was ..

Flash Earth

Sorry to have misled.

Disgraceful - Shocking.

I for one will be taking my ball home immediately after spitting out my dummy.

Where was it mentioned Steve. I couldn't find anything at all apart from (as I said) the pubs, and some big place daan saaf.

I don't know if this one has been asked before on here but does

anyone know when and where the first brick house was built in Sheffield?

I came across this in an old book in the local studies.

Didn't it have stone corners ? because they weren't sure how long it would last ... can't remember any more at present.

Good question.

I don't know if this one has been asked before on here but does

anyone know when and where the first brick house was built in Sheffield?

I came across this in an old book in the local studies.

Just PM'd you.

Odd - I found reference to it being demolished in 1837. What's strange is that the book was written in 1832 ??

Just PM'd you.

Odd - I found reference to it being demolished in 1837. What's strange is that the book was written in 1832 ??

Planning permission, huh ?

Just PM'd you.

Well done vox, there's no flies on you eerm you know what I mean lol

You are just one year out to what I read but you know what these old books

are like eg: demolished in 1837 and they read about it in 1832 ??? :o

The first brick built house was built in 1696 in Pepper Alley.

Now the next question is . . Where was Pepper Alley?

I haven't a clue :rolleyes:

It ran between Fargate and Norfolk Street

Link

Try here, page 32

Scrapbook