A Quite Difficult Question

RichardB

Here's a thought that would be right up your street!

I've often wondered where the 'Heavy Gate' as in Heavygate Road was sited. Was it at one end or near the Heavygate Inn on Matlock Rd?

'Gate' probably doesn't mean gate here. It's more likely to mean 'road' from Middle English derived from Old Norse 'gata'. (yes, I just looked that up lol ) So a 'heavy' gate is a steep road. And 'Heavygate Road' is a tautology, and the pub sign is a misunderstanding.

There is a late 17th century date stone in the porch (not sure if it's usually visible). The building was a farmhouse. The first reference to it as a pub is mid 19th century.

Now my turn to ask a question: what's the connection between Hillsborough Library and a paper bag? (if you have been on a Walkley Cemetery tour it might help :) )

Hugh

Guest tsavo

'Gate' probably doesn't mean gate here. It's more likely to mean 'road' from Middle English derived from Old Norse 'gata'. (yes, I just looked that up lol ) So a 'heavy' gate is a steep road. And 'Heavygate Road' is a tautology, and the pub sign is a misunderstanding.

There is a late 17th century date stone in the porch (not sure if it's usually visible). The building was a farmhouse. The first reference to it as a pub is mid 19th century.

Now my turn to ask a question: what's the connection between Hillsborough Library and a paper bag? (if you have been on a Walkley Cemetery tour it might help :) )

Hugh

Hi Hugh, If no one's welcomed you, welcome to Sheffield History.

Your comments about the Heavygate Inn make sense. Matlock is a very steep road. The map (from not sure when)

shows the pub and a well that we knew about as kids. What was to become Howard Street / South Road appear just as a footpath. Have marked Hadfield St & Cromwell Street which just appear to be field markers on this map. Thanks for the info. About your question: Could the name of Pickering be part of it?

Sorry, forgot to include the map!!!

Guest tsavo

Who (a former Master Cutler) tried to get the streets of Sheffield paved with wood, instead of granite ? He also promoted Smoke abatement, but, that not nearly as interesting as wooden-paved streets :rolleyes:

Somewhere at the back of my mind, (not a good place to be) I seem to remember that West Street, outside the old Royal Hospital was indeed at one time paved with wood blocks to allow seriously ill patients some respite from the noise of cart wheels passing.

Somewhere at the back of my mind, (not a good place to be) I seem to remember that West Street, outside the old Royal Hospital was indeed at one time paved with wood blocks to allow seriously ill patients some respite from the noise of cart wheels passing.

It's a remarkable idea, apparently he took a tumble on Glossop Road, so maybe, your Royal Hospital hallucination wasn't too far off .... lol

There is a late 17th century date stone in the porch (not sure if it's usually visible).

Hugh

The date stone is very visible, or was 2 years ago.

The "paper bag" connection, no you got me there, and no, I've never done the Walkley Cemetery Tour but would love to, one day; Carnegie and Walkley library I can connect, but a paper bag, not at present; either put me/us out of our misery, or leave us to stew a while longer.

Regarding the Cemetery, both me and the wife have been ill for going on 10 days, virus infection, the wife's work called today and said could I pick her up (her request), otherwise they were calling for an ambulance for her ...... explains why I've not been here much ....

Your comments about the Heavygate Inn make sense. Matlock is a very steep road. The map (from not sure when)

shows the pub and a well that we knew about as kids. What was to become Howard Street / South Road appear just as a footpath. Have marked Hadfield St & Cromwell Street which just appear to be field markerson this map. Thanks for the info. About your question: Could the name of Pickering be part of it?

Thanks for the welcome!

Matlock Road (formally Wharncliffe Road), I'm pretty sure, is the same age as the streets below it - 1850's. The old road is Heavygate Road itself, at one time known as Steel Bank. I have a photocopy of a Fairbank survey somewhere which shows the road, the farmhouse (unnamed) and Dark Lane (now Northfield Road). That plan is probably from the 1790's, but I'd have to dig it out to be sure. Although the road by the pub isn't steep, to get to it from Commonside the only way was up the steep incline off Howard Road (Howard Street is by Sheffield Hallam :) ) I am not sure which map you were referring to - is it in this thread? (can't spot it).

Pickering isn't part of the answer to my question lol There is a man called Arthur involved.

Hugh

Thanks for the welcome!

Matlock Road (formally Wharncliffe Road), I'm pretty sure, is the same age as the streets below it - 1850's. The old road is Heavygate Road itself, at one time known as Steel Bank. I have a photocopy of a Fairbank survey somewhere which shows the road, the farmhouse (unnamed) and Dark Lane (now Northfield Road). That plan is probably from the 1790's, but I'd have to dig it out to be sure. Although the road by the pub isn't steep, to get to it from Commonside the only way was up the steep incline off Howard Road (Howard Street is by Sheffield Hallam :) ) I am not sure which map you were referring to - is it in this thread? (can't spot it).

Pickering isn't part of the answer to my question lol There is a man called Arthur involved.

Hugh

Arthur McDonald-Heavygate sounds unlikely; do you want gherkins with that ? ......

I was planning to upload a picture but I am not sure how to do it. 'Insert Image' asks for a URL rather than looks for an image file to upload. Do I upload it as an attachment?

There used to be company, in living memory (I'm told - I'm an incomer), which was best known for making paper bags. It did other things as well such as printing. The fouder of the firm also had a career in local politics in the early 20th century. In 1905 thay had premises in Snig Hill; by 1919 they had moved a short distance to Spring Street.

Hugh

I was planning to upload a picture but I am not sure how to do it.

Type your message, as normal, click on browse (below the message area), navigate to where the attachment is on your computer, click open, then the upload button. Repeat as required for other attachments.

Guest tsavo

shows the pub and a well that we knew about as kids. What was to become Howard Street / South Road appear just as a footpath. Have marked Hadfield St & Cromwell Street which just appear to be field markerson this map. Thanks for the info. About your question: Could the name of Pickering be part of it?

Sorry, forgot to include the map!!!

Sorry, forgot to include the map, TWICE!!!

Guest tsavo

OK Hugh, You are going to give us a bit more in the way of clues or a small hint if we're going to solve this one!

OK Hugh, You are going to give us a bit more in the way of clues or a small hint if we're going to solve this one!

Arthur Thomas Bescoby & Sons, of Rydalhurst, Rural Lane, Wadsley ???

I've no idea how they relate to Walkley Library ... unless, how is the man gazing out from the wall of Walkley Library, near the traffic light .... if it's not him, I would quite like to know what that inscription reads ....

Pollie Bescoby, aged 44 died 24th Dec 1892 abode : 87 Walkley Lane

now she's a Walkley Cemetery resident .... still no idea ...

1893 Arthur Thos Bescoby, printer and stationer, 38 and 40 Green Lane - Kelly's Commercial Directory

The Cathedral is "off-centre" in the grounds it currently occupies, it was even more "off-centre" before the widening of Campo Lane and Church Street, why would this be ????

It is common with other places where there are religious buildings, refer to Gravestones laid flat thread for a picture .. the place is "off centre"

Guest tsavo

The Cathedral is "off-centre" in the grounds it currently occupies, it was even more "off-centre" before the widening of Campo Lane and Church Street, why would this be ????

It is common with other places where there are religious buildings, refer to Gravestones laid flat thread for a picture .. the place is "off centre"

Er...............need to think about that one. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Congrats on your 1000th post!

Campo Lane was widened once and Church Street three times (its the "Burnt his books and scared his rooks and set his stacks on fire" thing) ... so, the Church was even more offset originally; might hel to imagine a compass points over the area and if you don't know your North from your South in the Centre of Sheffield one of the walkways by the Cathedral (Church as it was) is called East Parade lol

Guest tsavo

I'm right in there, Richard, but taking the opportunity to update my R E Leader files as I did not have the full set.

I'm right in there, Richard, but taking the opportunity to update my R E Leader files as I did not have the full set.

Well that's good that you get to upgrade your files, always

"Best to make Hey, whilst the Sun shines"

"Devil" of a question, hey ?

Birthday Greetings Tsavo

The Churchyard is enormous on the south sideed you, enjoying , but small on the North, oyfor, as in other parts of England the North side was associated with the Devil. This superstition survived well into the eighteenth century in Sheffield.

Source : The Fiery Blades of Hallamshire - David Hey, page 251; I've heard of this eslewhere also.

Happy Birthday Tsavo, I've really enjoyed you enjoying looking for these answers lol

Guest tsavo

I failed again eh? Never mind the pleasure is in the hunt, not the winning. In Portugal they paint around the dooors & windows in blue paint to ward off evil spirits. Didn't know about the north being associated with the devil though. Nice one.

I failed again eh? Never mind the pleasure is in the hunt, not the winning. In Portugal they paint around the dooors & windows in blue paint to ward off evil spirits. Didn't know about the north being associated with the devil though. Nice one.

Not failed Pal, you just didn't manage to find an answer; impossible if you don't have THAT book. I just set it as a teaser for you and didn't let it drag on too long.

Understand perfectly what you mean about the pleasure being the hunt, that's why we're still looking for my Great Grandfathers details, as a family we've only put in 30 years, nowhere near enough lol

Stinker for you (for whoever "keeps the faith" and tries to solve this nonsense that I post; I know who you are !)

The were Church Burgesses, Town Burgesses and the Master Cutler - basically the people running the town, Church Burgess people were mainly Church people, the Town Burgess people were basically successful business people; the Master Cutlers were again business people, the most successful type.

So, only two people have held all three posts during thir lifetime, my question is, who were they ?

This probably involves listin all Church Burgesses, Town Burgesses and Master Cutlers; I look forward to reading the lists lol

Someone will take this challenge up, and I'll get all the names - result lol

Initials RS and CB are the people involved, both well known Sheffield surnames from way back when, VERY well known.

A late Birthday puzzle maybe ........

Hunter's Bar stopped being a Toll Bar at Midnight on 31st October 1884, a cab proprietor was the last fee paying customer; he then turned around and drove back towards Town for free. The crowd threw the toll gate into a field.

Two questions :

Who was the cab proprietor ? (Easy 1 point)

Who was the gate-keeper ? (Tough 3 points)

Bonus :

What were the horses called ? (Completely made up, 2 points for the best answer)

(I made the bonus up; don't tell Tsavo, it'll drive him nuts !!!)