A Quite Difficult Question

RichardB

Believe it or not, I usually refer to my paper copy, how old-fashioned is that !!!!

Having trawled through the 10 chapters to find this, I now remember why I use a paper copy; yellow writing on a revolting background, not good on the eyes :(

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Penton Street on the left represents the beginning of the old route to Broomhall, and to a footpath diverging from this on the right and going to Fulwood pretty much on the line of the present West Street. Trippet Lane extended, as now, to Portobello, which was originally the name for the locality between Regent Street and Victoria Street; and from this point there was a narrow footpath to the top of Leavygreave, where it joined the main thoroughfare from Broad Lane, up Brook Hill and Western Bank then an irregular country road, very wide at parts, called Hallam Lane. This led past the Windmill, on the site of the Weston Museum, and so to Crookes and Hallam. This route is very ancient. It represents the Roman line of communication through Sheffield by " the Long Causey " (Redmires Road) and Stanedge to Brough.

http://www.omnesamici.co.uk/MemoriestRELeaderChapter10.html

This Windmill was actually from Old Amsterdam

Souce : Ronnie Hilton record !!!!

A Hillsborough puzzle for you

What links Dorothy Road, Lennox Road, Willis Road and Wynyard Road please ?

For those with time to spare where do Garry Road and Fielding Road fit into this "pattern" ?

Guest tsavo

I know the Council, at one time, had a policy of naming streets after the occupants of the first built house, but why do I get the feeling you're being craftier than that?

One to keep you amused meanwhile and not to difficult:

Which dare devil Victorian born, named Edith, tragically died in Sheffield.?

Guest tsavo

For those with time to spare where do Garry Road and Fielding Road fit into this "pattern" ?

Does the Hillsborough Library building maybe come into this puzzle?

Does the Hillsborough Library building maybe come into this puzzle?

Indeed it does :rolleyes:

Silver Street also featues in this story, but is not related <hint, hint> in the same way.

You've got me beat with the Victorian daredevil Edith BTW :rolleyes: UNLESS it was to do with a hot-air balloon ???

Guest tsavo

OK. Have not got a complete answer but here goes.

James Dixon owned and landscaped Hillsborough Park and lived with his family in the house which is now the library. Warner, Willis, & Wynyard were first names within the family.

Land for the Wednesday ground was given (or bought from) by Dixon. Gary Rd & Fielding Rd.....? Don't think there were too many Gary's about in those days so........???? Maybe a grandson....?

Dixon Road, after Dixon himself, Dixon Street (where my family lived) also one of his.

Dorothy Road, Dorothy born 1897, was in Egypt in WWI

Wynyard Road, after Wynyard Dixon, a noted shooter, a surveyor by profession.

Lennox Road, after Lennox Dixon, went into the Dion family business

Willis Road, Willis a name given to man of the Dixon family males.

Florence Dixon married Sir Charles Fielding in 1899, he owned land in Sussex and in WWI was "Director General of Food Production"

Garry Road (note two "R"'s in my version, if anyone can confirm please, I can't remember it !!!!!), was originally Garth Road, the name was changed in 1903, Garry was the name of a family pet !!!!!!!!

Warner Road also has a Dixon link, Sir Pelham (Plum) Warner 1873-1963) was at Rugby School with both Archibold and Lennox Dixon and they were close friends. He was onetine England and Middlesex Cricket captain and later President of the MCC.

So, it's all related to James Dixon & Sons, of Cornish Place. Where did Silver Street go too ???????

Tsavo, great work, if I ask about Streets or Roads named after pets again, you have my permission to boot me up the "tradesmens" :rolleyes: lol

Guest tsavo

Indeed it does :rolleyes:

Silver Street also featues in this story, but is not related <hint, hint> in the same way.

You've got me beat with the Victorian daredevil Edith BTW :rolleyes: UNLESS it was to do with a hot-air balloon ???

Certainly does. Hope I didn't confuse you with the 'Victorian' bit but didn't want to give too much info. You're far to quick as it is.

Certainly does. Hope I didn't confuse you with the 'Victorian' bit but didn't want to give too much info. You're far to quick as it is.

I do think, you will have to put me out of my misery, we both know what it is, but for other interested parties, I give up, please give us the answer; read it recently, but I can't remember where, plus my reference bits are not available till Monday; nice question :rolleyes:

Guest tsavo

OK Richard, knew you'd get it quickly if I gave any more info.

The answer:

In 1902, a lady parachutist, Edith Brookes, died in a parachute jump from a balloon at Hillsborough Park

OK Richard, knew you'd get it quickly if I gave any more info.

The answer:

In 1902, a lady parachutist, Edith Brookes, died in a parachute jump from a balloon at Hillsborough Park in 1902.

I knew it was Hillsborough Park, maybe Hillsborough and her People book, currently at work for scanning purposes :(

Close try though from what's left of my memory !

Guest tsavo

Here's a thought that would be right up your street!

I've often wondered where the 'Heavy Gate' as in Heavygate Road was sited. Was it at one end or near the Heavygate Inn on Matlock Rd?

Here's a thought that would be right up your street!

I've often wondered where the 'Heavy Gate' as in Heavygate Road was sited. Was it at one end or near the Heavygate Inn on Matlock Rd?

Indeed the pub of that name, with the ancient door frame, is strangley located; I used to live on Howard Road/Street in the '60's just 100yards from the pub, so did the old route go up the hill to Crookes, or along past the pub, and probably down towards Commonside ? Buggered if I know, but a well directed question ....

The Heavygate pub has a very poor representation on the internet, as discussed by the wife and me, with the incumbents last summer .... will investigate ... do we know where the route was to/from ? Would seem strange to send pack-horses over the highest point of Sheffield ... I think this might be Mount Pisgagh Road (spelling ?) but Im willing to be corrected. :rolleyes:

Guest tsavo

The old name for the Mule Train Masters was Racker. So onwards to Racker Way and the Rivelin Valley / Malin Bridge?

Who (a former Master Cutler) tried to get the streets of Sheffield paved with wood, instead of granite ? He also promoted Smoke abatement, but, that not nearly as interesting as wooden-paved streets :rolleyes:

Short lived attempt to "cheer up" a major Sheffield landmark, water squirted from the ferrule of the umbrella. Destroyed by vandals. The building in question lasted until 1938.

hi Richard is it Dixon rd that links all these?

hi Richard

is it Dixon rd that links these rds?

It's the Dixon family that links them all, so yes, Dixon Road, Dixon Hall (Hillsborough Library as it is now), futher details posted further up this thread, April 12th. (Garry Road incidently is named after the family pet !)

Who (a former Master Cutler) tried to get the streets of Sheffield paved with wood, instead of granite ? He also promoted Smoke abatement, but, that not nearly as interesting as wooden-paved streets :rolleyes:

It was Col Sir John Bingham (Master Cutler twice), Conservative member of the Town Council... nephew of Walker of Walker and Hall.

Short lived attempt to "cheer up" a major Sheffield landmark, water squirted from the ferrule of the umbrella. Destroyed by vandals. The building in question lasted until 1938.

This fountain was part of Col Sir John Binghams attempt to "cheer up" St Paul's Churchyard. Water squirted from the ferrule of the umbrella, until vandals destroyed it :(