A Quite Difficult Question

RichardB

Who made the chains that held the candle sticks in the Old Town Hall that used to be outside the Parish Church (Cathedral), approximately where Cole's Corner was please ?

Any answer most appreciated.

Nuff respect to anyone that gets this one !!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tsavo, Sheffield History, Gentlemen and friend, loved this thread.

Still trying to ask a question that Tsavo can't answer, pathetic really on my part, but very full of respect for someone that comes up with the answers !

Well, its a ridiculous, very specific question, designed to keep you out of mischief, I don't suppose anyone actually cares who made the chains, but I hope you have fun looking :rolleyes:

Guest tsavo

Well, its a ridiculous, very specific question, designed to keep you out of mischief, I don't suppose anyone actually cares who made the chains, but I hope you have fun looking :rolleyes:

I will admit defeat, Richard, I've searched everywhere I can think of. Think I've more chance of finding a picture of Redgates than solving this! Over to you.

PS. What once stood on the site of Weston Park Museum?

Come on Richard, put me out of my misery! Who was it?

I was sure you were going to get this, you even mentioned the authors name in a posting, saying you hoped for more time now your family had gone back home !!!! :rolleyes:

At the top of the street, next to the Church Gates, on the site of Pawson and Brailsford's present premises, was the iron- monger's shop of Thomas Heaton, Town Trustee and Church Burgess. When the old Town Hall was built, close to him, in I700, he supplied the "chaines" for the hall candlestick. He was elected a member of the Town Trust in I724. A tombstone in the churchyard records that he died December I9, I734, in the 48th year of his age, and tells us that

" He was easy and agreeable in every path of private life, and useful to the publick as a member of the three publick bodies of the Town, the Church, and the Free School, and died generally lamented."

Then follow the names of his wife and of a number of their daughters, who long remained in occupation of the High Street premises, ending with

" Hellen, the last survivor of this truly Respectable Family, who departed this life, the I8th June, I795."

We get an instructive glimpse of the High Street of the past in a reference to Mr. Heaton's property in a document dated I726.* In that year Heaton leased to the Rev. John Balguy " part of his garden adjoining the Boys' Charity School." On this Mr. Balguy built a dwelling-house, and it is evident that Mr. Heaton's garden had extended behind his shop, for the whole length of the churchyard, to the Charity School. Mr. Balguy was at one time a teacher in the Grammar School, where his father had been headmaster from I664 to I696; and mention of him brings us into connection with another High Street worthy and Town Trustee, Mr. Christopher Broomhead, for the Rev. John Balguy married one of Christopher Broomhead's daughters; Mr. Robert Drake, surgeon, another; and Mr. Christopher Robinson, headmaster of the Gran mar School, and the author of various theological books

" Local Notes and Queries," Sheffield Indepenednt, March I5, 1877. + Gatty's Hunter's " Hallamshire," pp. 250,255, 308-9. Ante, p. 174.

Source : REMINISCENCES OF SHEFFIELD by R. E. LEADER

CHAPTER 13 - HIGH STREET and OLD INNS.

Guest tsavo

I could kick myself I went through R E Leader several times. Distractions aside though, one for you, Sir!

Now how about answering my question. What, at one time, stood on the site of Weston Park Museum?

PS. What once stood on the site of Weston Park Museum?

Weston Park was developed from the grounds of Weston Hall, a grand house built in the early 1800’s for Thomas Harrison, an eminent sawmaker. After his death the city council acquired the land in 1873 and commissioned Marnock to create a public park. Robert Marnock was one of the greatest park and garden designers of the 19c.

He perfected the ‘gardenesque’ style of landscape design, which features winding paths and trees scattered across grass lawns in an informal style. Many of these features are still clearly visible today. As well as Weston Park, Robert Marnock also designed many other parks in Sheffield including the Sheffield Botanical Gardens and High Hazels Park.

He went on to lay out gardens for the Royal Botanic Society in Regent’s Park in London, before becoming their first curator. He continued to work there right up to his retirement at the age of 79!

The park has been the venue for many famous events over the years

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice one, is that the answer you wanted ? RichardB

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source : http://www.westonpark.org.uk/

I'll check my info but don't think so.

There may have been something else also ? You can't fault my source though :rolleyes:

What happened at Pinfold Street, why was the man who carried on his trade there unpopular, and why was he always repairing his fences ?

Guest tsavo

There may have been something else also ? You can't fault my source though :rolleyes:

No, can't find fault with your source, but there was something else!

I always thought it was some kind of College building, if its not that, then I'll have to try again, or give up ...

What happened at Pinfold Street, why was the man who carried on his trade there unpopular, and why was he always repairing his fences ?

Isn't that where stray animals were kept?

Sorry, keep trying...

Will do, but I'm off work, I don't have access to my reference materials till Monday next week :rolleyes:

Isn't that where stray animals were kept?

Well done GrinderBloke, Penfold Street, where strays were kept, the owners used to kick the fence down to get their animals back, not a job to make you popular ...

Guest tsavo

Will do, but I'm off work, I don't have access to my reference materials till Monday next week :rolleyes:

No rush. Enjoy your break!

No rush. Enjoy your break!

It's not a dirty great big damn, used to spply the Town with water, is it ? <guessing>

Guest tsavo

No, that was the other side of Northumberland Rd. Last time I saw it it was covered in sweaty students!

I don't even have my A-Z with me at the moment, not a single book, can't remember the street names around there; which, may or may not give some kind of clue. What kind of era are we looking for ?