A Quite Difficult Question

RichardB

When I lived in the Hillsborough Park area it was always said that these roads were named after the children of the family that lived in the big house that is now the library.

That's right, the Dixon family who lived at Hillsborough Hall. Originally the park attached to the hall stretched up to where Wadsley Lane runs along the top of those streets. They sold off the land in several parcels, and that area was sold for building land, and the roads named after the members of the family. There's a topic about it somewhere on here.

One is even named after the family woofer.

When I lived in the Hillsborough Park area it was always said that these roads were named after the children of the family that lived in the big house that is now the library.

On 07/04/2007 at 00:59, RichardB said:

Who made the chains that held the candle sticks in the Old Town Hall that used to be outside the Parish Church (Cathedral), approximately where Cole's Corner was please ?

Gosh, this was more than twelve years ago. Makes for an interesting read through.

On 07/04/2007 at 00:59, RichardB said:

Who made the chains that held the candle sticks in the Old Town Hall that used to be outside the Parish Church (Cathedral), approximately where Cole's Corner was please ?

Any answer most appreciated.

Nuff respect to anyone that gets this one !!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tsavo, Sheffield History, Gentlemen and friend, loved this thread.

Tsavo posted 10th April 2007

Come on Richard, put me out of my misery! Who was it?

RichardB posted 10th April 2007. 

I was sure you were going to get this, you even mentioned the authors name in a posting, saying you hoped for more time now your family had gone back home !!!! 

At the top of the street, next to the Church Gates, on the site of Pawson and Brailsford's present premises, was the iron- monger's shop of Thomas Heaton, Town Trustee and Church Burgess. When the old Town Hall was built, close to him, in I700, he supplied the "chaines" for the hall candlestick. He was elected a member of the Town Trust in I724. A tombstone in the churchyard records that he died December I9, I734, in the 48th year of his age, and tells us that

" He was easy and agreeable in every path of private life, and useful to the publick as a member of the three publick bodies of the Town, the Church, and the Free School, and died generally lamented."

Then follow the names of his wife and of a number of their daughters, who long remained in occupation of the High Street premises, ending with

" Hellen, the last survivor of this truly Respectable Family, who departed this life, the I8th June, I795."

We get an instructive glimpse of the High Street of the past in a reference to Mr. Heaton's property in a document dated I726.* In that year Heaton leased to the Rev. John Balguy " part of his garden adjoining the Boys' Charity School." On this Mr. Balguy built a dwelling-house, and it is evident that Mr. Heaton's garden had extended behind his shop, for the whole length of the churchyard, to the Charity School. Mr. Balguy was at one time a teacher in the Grammar School, where his father had been headmaster from I664 to I696; and mention of him brings us into connection with another High Street worthy and Town Trustee, Mr. Christopher Broomhead, for the Rev. John Balguy married one of Christopher Broomhead's daughters; Mr. Robert Drake, surgeon, another; and Mr. Christopher Robinson, headmaster of the Gran mar School, and the author of various theological books

" Local Notes and Queries," Sheffield Indepenednt, March I5, 1877. + Gatty's Hunter's " Hallamshire," pp. 250,255, 308-9. Ante, p. 174.

Source : REMINISCENCES OF SHEFFIELD by R. E. LEADER

CHAPTER 13 - HIGH STREET and OLD INNS.

This is the property of the Heaton's and surrounding. 

Information from The Story of Sheffield High Street, from 16th Century to Modern Times, by Pat Dallman. 

"At the beginning of the 1700's the house next to the church gates, which in the previous century has belonged to the Creswick and Joshua Bayes, came into the possession of Joseph Banks, the attorney. He sold it in 1710 to Thomas Heaton, an ironmonger and his shop with its post and chains across the front, became a well known feature of the town centre. Thomas was born in 1686 and married wife Sarah in 1718."

They had 7 daughters, one of which, Helen lived there until her death 1795.

Advertised for Sale in the Iris 28th August 1795. 

"Most eligible and advantageous situated in High Street, Sheffield; near the old Church, and consists of two Dwelling Houses with Shops to the front and one other Dwelling House fronting the Church Yard, with several Outbuildings an Appurtenances thereto adjoining and belonging; also a Carriage Road from the uppermost part of the Yard to Campo Lane. The extent of the front to High Street is about 19 yards and fronting the Church near 80 yards."

Plan of the tenements and ground belonging to the late E. Heaton (now to John Butcher and John Frith in 1806), extending from the High Street to the Hart's Head, c. 1795

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc04144&pos=23&action=zoom&id=103990

Marked: The Hart's Head [Hartshead], John Hoyland's freehold, road common to the Charity School, Samuel Turner, Butcher and Frith, [property of] the trustees of the Charity School / [Dr?] Drake, late John Winter's leasehold, the property of the heirs of Thomas Vennor, High Street, [property] sold to Samuel Turner, [property sold to W. H. Saunders, Town Hall.

A plan of the tenements and ground purchased by S Broadbent of W Battie, with a scheme for opening a communication betwixt the High Street and the Hartshead. (not dated.) 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc04313&pos=25&action=zoom&id=107173

Marked: High Street, Hartshead, brewhouse, property of the late Widow Heaton deceased, Thomas [?] Shaw’s freehold, William Webster’s freehold, John Barlow’s freehold, charity school, and Campo Lane.

Part of the property (believed to be The Crown public house) of Thomas Vennor, a draper, made way for York Street in 1770. His drapers shop had bow windows. 

(Proposed) Plan of a new street along Fig Tree Lane from York Street to West Bar. 1820.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc04108&pos=9&action=zoom&id=103671

Note: the suggested improvement was to make a straight wide street of York Street, Figtree Lane and New Street, but it was never carried out.

Shows High Street, York Street, Hartshead, Campo Lane, Figtree Lane, Queen Street, Bank Street and West Bar.

Also shows Boys Charity School.

Names marked: Gunning, W. and G. Foster, John Hoyland, late Joseph Binney, H. Tudor's executors, late Joseph Ward, John Turner, William Cowley, T. C. Burgesses, A. A. Hardy, John Parkes, Ashforth, Widow Pears, Daniel Holy, Sykes, Marchinton, John Fawcett, William Davis, Dyson, Tippet, Mary Seaton, Francis Allwood, and Joseph Fowler.