Wayne Stones Whiteley Woods

duckweed

Main source for Water wheel is Where t' watter runs o'er t' weir by Roy Davey. Also note that dickfield would appear to be near Ecclesall woods. The Brights direct kin to the Blythes owned Whitely Hall in Whitely Wood and the original wheel at Abbeydale Hamlet. Seems to be a lot of family activity in that area.

"the feild called the lathe lying at Boutyhagge”, “messuage & certaine Lands in Whiteley Wood late the inheritance of Richard BLITHE”, “closes called Dickfeild, little Feild & in Ecclesall feild.Witnesses: Richard DAILE, William FOXE & John S......."

I hope this isn't a red herring, but "In 1658 Thomas Dale Freeholder of Whiteley Wood in the County of Yorke, Yeoman did by deed of gift leave to his daughter Anne, wife of John Bright of Bannercross Hall, three cottages and land near Bentihaugh, called Smithy Croft, Ashcroft, Broomfield, Longlands, Roughfield Meadow, The Spring, and three closes called The Fields above the Lathe."

There is a certain degree of similarity between Boutyhagge and Bentihaugh, given the variety of spellings and pronunciation that abounded. Bentihaugh is now Bents Green, close to Whiteley Woods and the site of the Hall.

I'm still puzzling over dickfield. Can you tell me why you place it near Ecclesall Woods please?

"the feild called the lathe lying at Boutyhagge”, “messuage & certaine Lands in Whiteley Wood late the inheritance of Richard BLITHE”, “closes called Dickfeild, little Feild & in Ecclesall feild.Witnesses: Richard DAILE, William FOXE & John S......."

I hope this isn't a red herring, but "In 1658 Thomas Dale Freeholder of Whiteley Wood in the County of Yorke, Yeoman did by deed of gift leave to his daughter Anne, wife of John Bright of Bannercross Hall, three cottages and land near Bentihaugh, called Smithy Croft, Ashcroft, Broomfield, Longlands, Roughfield Meadow, The Spring, and three closes called The Fields above the Lathe."

There is a certain degree of similarity between Boutyhagge and Bentihaugh, given the variety of spellings and pronunciation that abounded. Bentihaugh is now Bents Green, close to Whiteley Woods and the site of the Hall.

I'm still puzzling over dickfield. Can you tell me why you place it near Ecclesall Woods please?

That makes sense after all old spellings and handwrting can lead to some very strange words. I don't know for sure about Dickfield. Just that there is a Dickfield house round there just off Abbey Lane and maybe Ecclesall field comes from next to Ecclesall Wood. Could be Dickfield is nearer Millhouses, not sure. Think I have to find a copy of Harrisons survey and see if he is more specific.

I haven't come across a Dickfield House, but the simple answer I think is there must have been two Dickfields . I'm sure the one in Harrison is in the north of Sheffield. Harrison's survey covers the lands inherited by the Earl, which pretty much excluded anything in Ecclesall or Abbeydale bar one or two holdings, I think around Sharrow.

Thanks for the pointer to Roy Davey's book, I've ordered it from the library and I'll be interested to see his sources!

Are you in Sheffield? If so there's a lending copy of Harrison available in the Central Lending Library (I know because I happen co-incidentally to have it on loan at the moment!).

I haven't come across a Dickfield House, but the simple answer I think is there must have been two Dickfields . I'm sure the one in Harrison is in the north of Sheffield. Harrison's survey covers the lands inherited by the Earl, which pretty much excluded anything in Ecclesall or Abbeydale bar one or two holdings, I think around Sharrow.

Thanks for the pointer to Roy Davey's book, I've ordered it from the library and I'll be interested to see his sources!

Are you in Sheffield? If so there's a lending copy of Harrison available in the Central Lending Library (I know because I happen co-incidentally to have it on loan at the moment!).

I am in Sheffield but if you've got it out I won't be able to get it out. Is there one in the local studies section you think that I could look at? I think you are right about Harrison as his Dickfield seems to be Oughtibridge area, which is unlikley to be it.

I am in Sheffield but if you've got it out I won't be able to get it out. Is there one in the local studies section you think that I could look at? I think you are right about Harrison as his Dickfield seems to be Oughtibridge area, which is unlikley to be it.

Local Studies do have it, but you could reserve the copy I've out on loan, I'll be returning it shortly.

If you do go into the Central Library you might be interested to go into the Reference library and ask to see

The Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, Volume 58, pages 147-171.

It's an article by G.Scurfield entitled 17th Century Sheffield and its Environs. Although the written survey is available, the accompanying plan has been lost. What Scurfield has done is to marry the details in the survey with later Fairbank plans to try to reproduce the missing ones. He hasn't managed it completely, but the results are very interesting. One place he has identified is the Dickfield in north Sheffield!

Local Studies do have it, but you could reserve the copy I've out on loan, I'll be returning it shortly.

If you do go into the Central Library you might be interested to go into the Reference library and ask to see

The Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, Volume 58, pages 147-171.

It's an article by G.Scurfield entitled 17th Century Sheffield and its Environs. Although the written survey is available, the accompanying plan has been lost. What Scurfield has done is to marry the details in the survey with later Fairbank plans to try to reproduce the missing ones. He hasn't managed it completely, but the results are very interesting. One place he has identified is the Dickfield in north Sheffield!

Thanks that sounds a good article to look at. I am trying to draw up a map of Norton Heeley Gleadless and relevant areas to the Blythe Family in the 16th century so any early guides maps are helpful. I've started with a 1905 map and removed everything that wasn't there in 16th so I have the river (which was altered when the turnpike road came in) which I have had to redraw. Dyche Lane/Derbyshire which has to be redrawn especially near Meersbrook Park, Norton Hammer, Heeley Mill and Heeley Wheel, the Meersbrook and Blythes Mill And Wheel, and Lees Hall, Carfield Farm, and Bishops House. I have still one more road to draw in, some paths and lanes and quite a few woods and eventually the fields and smithies etc.

I found Dickfield Farm and Dickfield House in Little Common Lane. Strangely enough just by Google Map. There are some wonderful very old farm buildings there. Other land mentioned originally turned up in Bents Green and Stumperlowe, some land in Whirlow and some land in Whiteley woods. Originally my search for Blythe land possessions had been primarily on the Derbyshire side. I am now finding more connections on the Sheffield and Eccleshall side.

The scythe making families are quite close knit and due to them marrying into each others families it is quite a complex web of relatives. Generally speaking they became non-conformist and on parliaments side in the English Civil war. One wonders if they made arms then.

I found Dickfield Farm and Dickfield House in Little Common Lane. Strangely enough just by Google Map. There are some wonderful very old farm buildings there. Other land mentioned originally turned up in Bents Green and Stumperlowe, some land in Whirlow and some land in Whiteley woods. Originally my search for Blythe land possessions had been primarily on the Derbyshire side. I am now finding more connections on the Sheffield and Eccleshall side.

The scythe making families are quite close knit and due to them marrying into each others families it is quite a complex web of relatives. Generally speaking they became non-conformist and on parliaments side in the English Civil war. One wonders if they made arms then.

Dickfield Farm & House, Little Common.

Flash Earth