Cross Scythes

RichardB

Guest Gramps

Rather surprisingly, as it's outside both the parish and county boundaries, William Fairbank chose to include the 'New Road from Chesterfield' on his parish map of 1795. Did he survey the route perhaps ?

Or the map was revised for a later reprint.

Rather surprisingly, as it's outside both the parish and county boundaries, William Fairbank chose to include the 'New Road from Chesterfield' on his parish map of 1795. Did he survey the route perhaps ?

Or the map was revised for a later reprint.

The Fairbanks map does not show the 1756 deviation of Derbyshire lane

1891 kelly's

Mathews George, Cross Scythes P.H. Derbyshire Lane, Woodseats

1901 census

Henrietta Webster

147,Derbyshire Lane,Norton ??

(Numbers could have changed)

Thanks vox, we didn't have the George Mathews 1891.

1891 kelly's

Mathews George, Cross Scythes P.H. Derbyshire Lane, Woodseats

1901 census

Henrietta Webster

147,Derbyshire Lane,Norton ??

(Numbers could have changed)

1891, nice work; earliest known keeper by 10 years.

Mrs Henrietta Webster in 1901, Mrs Henrietta Harbord in 1905 (reading nothing into that, just FYI).

Anybody who is interested in the Turnpike from Sheffield out towards Dronfield should read this book

Not sure if its still in print

ISBN 0-9521541-5-3

As Gramps says the present Chesterfield Rd was built in 1797, on the 11th September 1802 the old turnpike was officially closed by JP's sitting in a special session at Meersbrook House.

The other major change during its existence was the re-routing of Derbyshire Lane in 1756 to have traffic diverted from passing nearby Meersbrook House, previously Derbyshire lane left the the present A61 Chesterfield Rd at Meersbrook, this was an easier straighter route as opposed to the route of the present Derbyshire Lane.

I think these maps may be from the book that Stuart has mentioned.

In any case some of the maps are based on the Fairbanks maps.

1891, nice work; earliest known keeper by 10 years.

Mrs Henrietta Webster in 1901, Mrs Henrietta Harbord in 1905 (reading nothing into that, just FYI).

The earliest known keeper 1865, see post 18.

Maybe I should have put it under Pub Updates. Sorry. :blink:

The earliest known keeper 1865, see post 18.

Maybe I should have put it under Pub Updates. Sorry. :blink:

Listen verry carefully, I vill say vis only wurnce ...

I've updated my Master list with your last six months updates in "Pub updates", I haven't however, updated the updates from the general Pubs thread, I may need Steve to remind me how to download the whole thing - or beg him to do it for me.

Then when my Master list is updated with all updates, I'll post a whole new bunch of lists at Christmas (alphabetically by year) ... then we use those to update the main records on here - thus maintaining replies/pictures/data already posted. So, when all updates have been updated the main list will be more up to date than the master list (because of the replies/pictures/comments).

All quite simple, I understood all of this, back when it was started - just an underestimate of the time it would take (by a factor of about 100-fold), could be done by Summer (note, I'm cleverly not specifying which year) - apart from any new updates, of course