Tell us what you know..

Sheffield History

Here's the first of a new series of picture challenges

Basically - you look at the picture and see if you can identify as many different buildings in there, and tell us what you know about them.

What road are the buildings on ? How long have they been there ? What were the buildings used for ? Who worked there ? What was there before them ?

etc (I'm sure you get the idea..)

Here's the first one..l

Ok if I'm not mistaken that is a shot of Penistone Road around Rutland Road. The white building on the right is very significant to me as it was there that I had my first job on leaving school in 1972. At that time it was "Osbourn Mushett Tools". I weas on seven pounds ten pence a week. To be honest I am suprised that the building is still there. We used to go in a pub called "The Owl" just over the road for lunch on fridays but most other days we went to the company canteen where as appretices we would get subsidised dinners.

SPOT ON MICKJJ. SPENT LOADS OF TIME MYSELF THERE,VISITING, NOT WORKING.MY DAD AND BROTHER IN LAW WORKED THERE YEARS AS DID MY NEPHEWS.HAD A JIG MADE THERE BY MY NEPHEW FOR MY JOB. MAYBE YOU KNEW MY BROTHER IN LAW.WILLIS WOOD.

WIFES SPENT A FEW HOURS TIN BINGO SHED (mecca) AND ALL MY FATHERS FAMILY WERE BROUGHT UP IN THE AREA FROM THE GARAGE TO MECCA. THIS WAS BEDFORD STREET AND CROSS BEDFORD STREET.

Sorry Graham I do not recognise the name. I was not there too long after a few months in the apprentice shop we were sent to different areas to work with a machinist to get an idea of the different trades. I was put with a turner who was around sixty. He was so proud that he had been woring his lathe there for forty years. I took a look at the oiled stained windows with hardly any light coming through and shuddered at the thought of being stuck in there for the next few dwcades of my life. I made the decision to leave engineering and enter the Construction industry and took a joinery/carpentry apprenticship where I could be outside in the fresh air and am still doing that to this day.

I know that area a bit, though not so much through work more through play...

Every now and then my son and I go out armed to the teeth with cameras and tripods etc for a play in town and we love the old industrial stuff round the bottom of Rutland Road.

Anyhoo, around febuary time we had gone out for the day, hoping to find something to do with the dam that burst in the Great Sheffield flood but after a few hours up Stannington freezing our lense's we decided to head for the warmth of Morrisons and a cooked breakfast.

Just so the day wasn't completely wasted we tooka few shots round Rutland road and Afew in the City center untill we were hungry enough to go to Wokmania for some lunch.

Here are two of the shots we took that day

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/hjdary/P1028944.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/hjdary/P1028936.jpg

Oooh I've just though of something else I know about that area...

Around 1995 I was working in a blokes house in Maltby, who was working on the Supertram building scheme.

He was telling me that round the bottom of Rutland Road they had had to move a very old cemetery and dig up the remains there so as to widen the road.

I thought that I would be able to tell my grandkids about the time theu rebuilt all the roads round there and show them how it used to be but being as this is Sheffield...here were are again a little over ten years later and they are now rebuilding that area again!!!

On the other side of Osbourne Mushet there was/is an iron crest that just shows a hand and a heart. I used to look at it when I was little, but never understood it. I suppose it's a statement about how the steel was made....with the heart and the hands.

The Hillfoot working mens club was just around there, and my dad was a member. He used to take me in occasionally as a very young lad....when he was off work or I was on school holiday.....I can still smell the beer and see the snooker tables with all the cues in cases screwed to the walls. I loved it.