Will They Be Missed

hilldweller

Just seen a reference on another Sheffield forum about the demise of the Great British Gasometer. Broddled about on t'internet and it's true.

National Grid are taking them all down, as after all these years they have found out they don't need them. Apparently there's enough "bounce" in the high pressure grid to even out variations in demand. Pity it's taken them 40 years to find this out. I suppose it's down to improvements in control instrumentation. They could have left those houses in permanent shadow at Neepsend, standing, if they'd taken them down. Just a few to remain that are protected by Gasometer Preservation Orders. Who would want to preserve one of those. At one time I was involved in the maintenance of one at Bitholmes, Stocksbridge, it leaked more than went out the proper way.

HD

Just seen a reference on another Sheffield forum about the demise of the Great British Gasometer. Broddled about on t'internet and it's true.

National Grid are taking them all down, as after all these years they have found out they don't need them. Apparently there's enough "bounce" in the high pressure grid to even out variations in demand. Pity it's taken them 40 years to find this out. I suppose it's down to improvements in control instrumentation. They could have left those houses in permanent shadow at Neepsend, standing, if they'd taken them down. Just a few to remain that are protected by Gasometer Preservation Orders. Who would want to preserve one of those. At one time I was involved in the maintenance of one at Bitholmes, Stocksbridge, it leaked more than went out the proper way.

HD

That just goes to show someone somewhere will preserve anything

On what grounds is a Gasometer worth preserving?

That just goes to show someone somewhere will preserve anything

On what grounds is a Gasometer worth preserving?

I suppose on the same grounds that one would preserve a Bessemer Converter or a brick kiln or even a coal mine for that matter.

A photo isn't quite the same.

I suppose on the same grounds that one would preserve a Bessemer Converter or a brick kiln or even a coal mine for that matter.

A photo isn't quite the same.

I suppose so, how do you decide which one to preserve, all metal cylindrical things look the same

or are there differences

I suppose you preserve the most architectural pleasing one

I suppose so, how do you decide which one to preserve, all metal cylindrical things look the same

or are there differences

I suppose you preserve the most architectural pleasing one

I suppose they'll pull down as many as possible until enough people start saying "You can't pull that down it's one of the only ones left"

Which is more or less what happens with everything in the "preserve it for posterity" game.

As long as there are Gasometers in every town, no one is very interested. Soon as they start disappearing they become a subject of interest. A bit like red phone boxes for instance. Albeit a bit bigger, but the principal is the same.

I have thought in the past that it's a shame that a few Sheffield courts and back-to-backs weren't preserved for future generations, but at the time of their demolition nobody (including me) would have ever thought that anybody would be interested. They were just slums and an eyesore at the time. The interest in that subject is born out by the topic on here and on other forums. Younger people want to see where and how their forefathers lived.

That's my guess anyway.

I have thought in the past that it's a shame that a few Sheffield courts and back-to-backs weren't preserved for future generations, but at the time of their demolition nobody (including me) would have ever thought that anybody would be interested.

Not all towns demolished all their back-to-back houses. Some of my wifes extended family live in converted back-to-back homes in Morley, Leeds. Altered from 1 room wide houses to 2 rooms wide and well built in gritstone. Still only one entrance door though, which was the reason given for much demolition in Sheffield.

HD

Still only one entrance door though, which was the reason given for much demolition in Sheffield.

HD

Yes I remember that reason as well HD

Odd that they built the "Macmillan houses" (like at Hackenthorpe) in the 50's. - All with only one entrance.

All those variations of low and high rise flats - all with only one entrance.