The Original Turnups

Leonr2z

Who remembers the original Turnups nightclub when it was at Nether Edge in the70's and early 80's?

I only lived just around the corner at the time, so was in there most nights. Good club and never go rowdy because it was out of town, practically everyone in there was local to the area.

Horrendous Websters Pennine bitter! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Guest Shorty - Rotherham

Yes I recall Turnups when it was at Nether Edge, it was quite a clicky place but a superb venue. People were classy and respectable as you say but if I remember correctly it used to close a little earlier than your normal nite club?

Guest Jayne F

Yes I recall Turnups when it was at Nether Edge, it was quite a clicky place but a superb venue. People were classy and respectable as you say but if I remember correctly it used to close a little earlier than your normal nite club?

aaah - the memories, I was there back in the 70's, brilliant place, wasn't the same when it moved. At the end of the night, we used to drive down by the Wicker (Corporation Street I think it was) to a mobile caravan and have bacon butties with a mug of hot tea........ bliss.

Yes, you are right, I seem to recall it closing at 1:00am and I think that's part of the reason why it moved to town, but it was never the same.

Guest Shorty - Rotherham

aaah - the memories, I was there back in the 70's, brilliant place, wasn't the same when it moved. At the end of the night, we used to drive down by the Wicker (Corporation Street I think it was) to a mobile caravan and have bacon butties with a mug of hot tea........ bliss.

Jayne, I think you were referring to Greasy Gordon's caravan (formerly Vera's) later to become GG's. Best steak & onions sarnies on the planet! Twas in a laybye just through the wicker arches. Kids today don't know what living really was!

Guest Jayne F

Jayne, I think you were referring to Greasy Gordon's caravan (formerly Vera's) later to become GG's. Best steak & onions sarnies on the planet! Twas in a laybye just through the wicker arches. Kids today don't know what living really was!

Yes - that's the one - I can still taste the bacon like it was yesterday....... you probably wouldn't be able to do that now - health & safety and all that.... I haven't been down there for years and years, probably all re-developed now though.

Guest blondewytch

Oh I had forgotten about Turnups when it was out of time . My friend used to drive us there in her Moggy Thou called Annabelle . We had some good times there . Still didn't mind it when it moved to town & spent some good times there

the caravan was called Greasy Veras.

I remember that GGs was a prefab building under Norfolk bridge a lot warmer than Greasy V's Caravan in winter lol.

Guest Kevin Rodgers

The last time I went there an older member of our local pub in Intake an ex paratrooper started firing a crossbow after an altercation. It was headline news in the Star, but he got off a sentence because of his training. Anyway it was a great little nightclub that not many people went to unless you knew people.ha!

Guest Julie A

Wow , yeah Turn Ups was good and for me very easily accessable .

I never bothered goin once it moved into town though .