Gleadless

Guest SteelCityBoy

Guest SteelCityBoy

This is my first post on this site and I must say that the site is a credit to everybody associated with Sheffield. Great work.

Anyway, i'm originally from Gleadless and was wondering if anybody has any pictures of Gleadless in the 1900's and how it has changed? Maybe any interesting stories too?

One I do remember was the beatles playing in the old concert hall on white lane (now somerfield).

Any help?

Welcome to you :rolleyes:

Hopefully someone can find you some useful stuff. Initially I'd say check out www.picturesheffield.com 35,000 Sheffield photos there to root around in, plus check out the Sheffield websites link on the main page.

Hi welcome to the site. There is nothing more that members enjoy more than a challenge. Here are a couple of pictures to whet your appitite.

A bus on Gleadless road around 1910

Norton avenue 1920

Welcome to the site SteelCityBoy,

There's loads on the Beatles playing at Gleadless - so it's well worth doing a search for Beatles and reading the results - there will be somethings you remember about it and hopefully some new stuff for you too !

Guest transit

This is my first post on this site and I must say that the site is a credit to everybody associated with Sheffield. Great work.

Anyway, i'm originally from Gleadless and was wondering if anybody has any pictures of Gleadless in the 1900's and how it has changed? Maybe any interesting stories too?

One I do remember was the beatles playing in the old concert hall on white lane (now somerfield).

Any help?

Hi - another site which could be of interest is - www.gleadless.net which contains loads of photos old and new of the Gleadless area.

The Beatles played in the old Azena Ballroom. It was a gig organised by the Stringfellow brothers. The gig was due to be at the Black Cat Club of theirs (St Aidans church hall on). Between them booking the Beatles and the gig, the 'fab four' had a hit record so a bigger place was needed for the demand. Saying that there were still twice as many people in there than the ballroom capacity legally allowed. A lot of people around outside as well. A good, hot and sweaty night by all accounts. I think Peter said he paid about £15 - 20 for the band!!