In An English Country Garden.

hilldweller

There is nothing more pleasent than relaxing in a garden of a summer evening with the fragrant parfumes of flowers wafting in the air.

With that in mind I have planted things such as honeysuckle, magnolia, lilac, mock-orange, roses and night-scented stocks.

Nowadays whenever the weather is pleasent and warm, I open the back door and my nostrils are assaulted by the overpowering stench of my neighbour's washing reeking of fabric conditioner.

What on earth compels people to use the dreadful stuff. If it's not the sickening pong of Pomegranate & Orange blossom, it's Lavender & Camomile, Manderine & Lime or Blueberry and Jasmine.

I think my neighbours must buy the 45 gallon economy pack each week.

What I cannot understand is what the husbands think as they walk around in underclothes and shirts smelling like a cheap tart (can I say that nowadays ?). I wonder if they ever study the labels and are aware of the chemical compounds which they are placing next to their skin.

The only relief comes a couple of times a year when the local farmer spreads his fields with muck and the aroma drifts over, at least it's a natural smell.

What's wrong with wearing clothes washed in ordinary non-scented detergent, at least they smell clean.

Bring back Sunlight Soap I say.

Rant Over (bring back 1955).

HD

What a load of carbolics he he

They do try to out do each other with imaginative combinations though when all you need is clean and washed.

Good reading HD, we need more rants like this. Speaking of obnoxious smells, I was wandering aimlessly round the supermarket the other day shoping with the OH and came across this very slick looking black aerosol can. Now I never ever use bodyspray, deodorant, after shave etc., so it must have been a symptom of my utter boredom that I found myself shaking the can and test spraying my arm. As soon as the stuff left the can I knew it was a mistake. My wrist smelled like a suburban bus shelter on a Sunday morning. Now, 5 days and 3 showers later I can still smell traces of the repulsive mist. Reading your post mentioning 'chemical compounds' I wonder if it has leeched into my bloodstream and is at this very moment attacking my brain cells and central nervous system? Yes, bring back Sunlight Soap I say.

Not many people know this, but Katie Puckrik, (who? former presenter of The Word 1990-92) now appears on aYoutube channel dedicated to fragrance reviews, called " Katie Puckrik Smells". Honest.

What a load of carbolics he he

Now, link fairy required, I am sure we have done a thread somewhere about Coal Tar and Carbolic soap

While I agree with hilldweller that the smell of modern fabric cleaners is overpowering they do comply with modern chemical safety legislation and are classed as "low risk".

That cannot be said of Coal Tar and Carbolic, both of which have almost disappeared and all modern versions of them are made from safer substitutes obtained from tea tree oil rather then from what their name implies.

Good reading HD, we need more rants like this. Speaking of obnoxious smells, I was wandering aimlessly round the supermarket the other day shoping with the OH and came across this very slick looking black aerosol can. Now I never ever use bodyspray, deodorant, after shave etc., so it must have been a symptom of my utter boredom that I found myself shaking the can and test spraying my arm. As soon as the stuff left the can I knew it was a mistake. My wrist smelled like a suburban bus shelter on a Sunday morning. Now, 5 days and 3 showers later I can still smell traces of the repulsive mist. Reading your post mentioning 'chemical compounds' I wonder if it has leeched into my bloodstream and is at this very moment attacking my brain cells and central nervous system? Yes, bring back Sunlight Soap I say.

Now aerosols are different problem altogether to strongly scented soaps, detergents and fabric cleaners.

Ask anyone who suffers from asthma what the dangers of aerosols are.

There is a case for either banning the use of aerosol sprays or reclassifying them as "dangerous weapons" as used by terrorists, along with guns, knives, laser pens and umbrellas.

Think I would take a chance with a hazzardous chemical in bulk rather than one that had been sprayed as a fine mist into the air.

Now, link fairy required, I am sure we have done a thread somewhere about Coal Tar and Carbolic soap

While I agree with hilldweller that the smell of modern fabric cleaners is overpowering they do comply with modern chemical safety legislation and are classed as "low risk".

That cannot be said of Coal Tar and Carbolic, both of which have almost disappeared and all modern versions of them are made from safer substitutes obtained from tea tree oil rather then from what their name implies.

Coal Tar Soap/Shampoo. Another of those threads which I remember because it drifted off topic somewhat and included Henderson's :o

Coal Tar Soap/Shampoo. Another of those threads which I remember because it drifted off topic somewhat and included Henderson's :o

Thanks for being my link fairy madannie, ;-)

I couldn't find that topic earlier when I was looking for it. :unsure:

What's that? They can't ban Henderson's can they?:o

I don't know Bayleaf.

My wife works in a garden centre and recently there has been a ban on the old, really powerfull weed killers (the ones based on sodium chlorate). Since then she has been asked repeatedly for advice on the "best" (ie most effective) weed killer and it seems that none of the modern alternatives are up to the job.

So thanks to chemical legislation we have soaps that can't clean properly and weedkillers that can't eradicate weeds.

What would be the effect of a ban on Hendersons? :o

I don't know Bayleaf.

My wife works in a garden centre and recently there has been a ban on the old, really powerfull weed killers (the ones based on sodium chlorate). Since then she has been asked repeatedly for advice on the "best" (ie most effective) weed killer and it seems that none of the modern alternatives are up to the job.

So thanks to chemical legislation we have soaps that can't clean properly and weedkillers that can't eradicate weeds.

What would be the effect of a ban on Hendersons? :o

A cultural wasteland...

Perhaps we should apply for protected regional status, like Champagne and Melton Mobray pies?

Perhaps we should apply for protected regional status, like Champagne and Melton Mobray pies?

I have always said that there should only be one small village in Somerset that should be allowed to call its cheese "Cheddar", and they only make 6 rounds of cheese per day!

Cheeses from anywhere else (including Ireland, Scotland, Canada and New Zealand) should not be called "Cheddar".

They are however made by the process, first developed in Cheddar, for making that particular style of cheese. The process is called "Cheddarisation".

So, Cheddar should be allowed to call it's cheese "Cheddar cheese" (because that's what it is)

But other cheeses should be called for example "Canadian Cheddarised cheese" rather than "Canadian Cheddar"

And, - I know WHY they won't enforce it.

it's because if you start using the word "Cheddarised" it makes it sound as though it's not natural and that it's been mucked around with in a laboratory somewhere.

There is nothing more pleasent than relaxing in a garden of a summer evening with the fragrant parfumes of flowers wafting in the air.

With that in mind I have planted things such as honeysuckle, magnolia, lilac, mock-orange, roses and night-scented stocks.

Nowadays whenever the weather is pleasent and warm, I open the back door and my nostrils are assaulted by the overpowering stench of my neighbour's washing reeking of fabric conditioner.

What on earth compels people to use the dreadful stuff. If it's not the sickening pong of Pomegranate & Orange blossom, it's Lavender & Camomile, Manderine & Lime or Blueberry and Jasmine.

I think my neighbours must buy the 45 gallon economy pack each week.

What I cannot understand is what the husbands think as they walk around in underclothes and shirts smelling like a cheap tart (can I say that nowadays ?). I wonder if they ever study the labels and are aware of the chemical compounds which they are placing next to their skin.

The only relief comes a couple of times a year when the local farmer spreads his fields with muck and the aroma drifts over, at least it's a natural smell.

What's wrong with wearing clothes washed in ordinary non-scented detergent, at least they smell clean.

Bring back Sunlight Soap I say.

Rant Over (bring back 1955).

HD

I think my cover has been blown. A few days after my rant appeared in print (well in pixels anyway) my neighbours washing has become curiously much less "fragrant". This can only mean that they know that their neighbour uses the non-de-plume hilldweller, or that my message has spread far and wide and most of Sheffield has stopped using the damned stuff. It probably just means that they have run out of the stuff and that normal gassification will resume next week.

HD

I have always said that there should only be one small village in Somerset that should be allowed to call its cheese "Cheddar", and they only make 6 rounds of cheese per day!

Cheeses from anywhere else (including Ireland, Scotland, Canada and New Zealand) should not be called "Cheddar".

They are however made by the process, first developed in Cheddar, for making that particular style of cheese. The process is called "Cheddarisation".

So, Cheddar should be allowed to call it's cheese "Cheddar cheese" (because that's what it is)

But other cheeses should be called for example "Canadian Cheddarised cheese" rather than "Canadian Cheddar"

And, - I know WHY they won't enforce it.

it's because if you start using the word "Cheddarised" it makes it sound as though it's not natural and that it's been mucked around with in a laboratory somewhere.

There was a time when Wards Beer was brewed in Sheffield now its brewed in the Northeast somewhere but they still call it Wards

There was a time when Wards Beer was brewed in Sheffield now its brewed in the Northeast somewhere but they still call it Wards

Yes but there isn't a geographical location called Wards is there?

To name a product after a place thousands of miles away doesn't make sense unless it was actually made there.

It's a bit like that Japanese Sheffield Steel

I based the cheese thing on Bayleafs comment that, (and quite rightly so)

Champagne wine can only come from, and should only come from, the Champagne region of France

Melton Mowbrow pork pies can only come from, and should only come from, Melton Mowbray in Leicestershire

Guest Gramps

What's that? They can't ban Henderson's can they?:o

I just don't get it about this stuff. It's inconceivable that a well made and succulent meat and tattie pie should be vilely corrupted with Henderson' Relish. The look and smell of it suggest it might be the potent weed killer that some are looking for. ;-)

As for the smells of the English country garden, out here in the real country when the farmers are spreading their reeking slurry around the fields and liberally coating the lanes with the stuff the aroma of Comfort is a welcome relief.

I just don't get it about this stuff. It's inconceivable that a well made and succulent meat and tattie pie should be vilely corrupted with Henderson' Relish. The look and smell of it suggest it might be the potent weed killer that some are looking for. ;-)

As for the smells of the English country garden, out here in the real country when the farmers are spreading their reeking slurry around the fields and liberally coating the lanes with the stuff the aroma of Comfort is a welcome relief.

Using Hendersons as a weed killer!! :o:unsure::o

But yes, the countryside isn't all fresh air is it.

Proper farming requires tons of manure and slurry and farm animals, especially pigs and cows do smell a bit.

{I suppose someone is going to say "but at least its natural and not artificial chemicals"!}