Sign in to follow this  
Sheffield History

Park Hill Flats

Thank you for posting the old photogrphs maisere,

like you say "note the trains"

Middle Picture, left, and Top picture, right are an almost identical view over the Parkway Tavern/ train station as we had from my gran's flat. Gran lived on Norwich Row, near the corner (number 155).

The trees on the old Bungay street, between the flats and the station (As per top right pic) are now far too big to allow you to see the station from what was my gran's balcony. It was always exciting being at my gran's when one of the special trains like Mallard or Flying scotsman came to the train station becasue the view from her flat was directy over the station. We had a grandstand view.

MY honorary aunt and uncle, Aunty grac and Uncle Sonny Craven lived immediately above the Parkway Tavern on Long Henry Row (three hundred and something I think)

As in "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it...!"

May not be that we can't afford it, more likely that if they told me the price the resonse would be, -

"HOW MUCH!!!! :blink: :blink: :blink: !!!"

"For an ex council flat on Park Hill!!! :o :o :o "

"You must be joking!" <_<

May not be that we can't afford it, more likely that if they told me the price the resonse would be, -

Well, there is that, lol, but I am biting my tongue (biting it so hard I am drawing blood, in fact) when it comes to my political stance on the iniquities of the sale of council housing.

Give us a clue ...

Give us a clue ...

Advertised price just say FROM £90,000

At 4:08 minutes The Parkway PH.

Remember it before the PHF. Duke St. Wonderful social atmosphere. Lined with small, independently owned stores. Everything from a fishmonger to a horse meat vendor to a baker to a clothier. There was even a funeral director (maybe more than one) and a church there. Oh, and the old Norfolk Picture Palace.The pavements would be a bustle of activity. People with shopping bags chatting. Like Coronation street without the salaciousness and sensationalism. I left Sheffield for Canada back in '69, so I oversaw the transition to the PHF. Didn't sit well with me, both from a community perspective and an architectural one. The latest iteration of the PHF, if you'll excuse me saying, is ghastly and leaves me scratching my bald head. Why protect those flats when beautiful, architecturally-relevant buildings such as the old Post Office and the old Court House are being left to the pigeons?

That said, as someone who was born toward the end of the war I do understand why high density housing was needed to replace substandard housing. Just wish the ones responsible could have used a bit more taste in blending it in with the rest of the city.

Park Hill Flats Sheffield.jpg

This exact spot is memorable to me as a kid when I went to the newsagents for a comic and when I came out got splatted right on the head by a pigeon poo

Strange what sticks in your head!

(and your hair)

Kelly's directory, published 1965.

Gilbert Row and The Pavement shopping areaGilbert Row, the pavement 1965 directory.jpging area

Hague Row (1965 directory).

Hague Row, 01 - 126.jpg

Hague Row, 127 - 394.jpg

Long Henry Row (1965 directory).

Long Henry Row, 01 - 150.jpgLong Henry, 151 - 287.jpgLong Henry 288 - 394.jpg

Norwich Row (1965 directory).

norwich 01 - 150.jpgnorwich 151 - 300.jpgnorwich 301 - 394.jpg