Park Hill Flats in Sheffield

Sheffield History

Its a difficult one

It all depends who they want to attract, no matter how much tarting up its still a flat on the Parkhill, its not as if Sheffield is short of inner city private apartments

They could make them cheap affordable flats for rent, a bit like the original concept, keeping in with the listed status and not altering anything

Well, private or rented, I won't be rushing to put my name down for one!

I wonder after spending all those millions on the place, will it still have the same old system

of throwing all the rubbish down the sink to some sort of chute that took it to the bottom?

That's the thing I remember about the Park Hill and Hyde Park, did they ever change

the system of getting rid of your rubbish?

I wonder after spending all those millions on the place, will it still have the same old system

of throwing all the rubbish down the sink to some sort of chute that took it to the bottom?

That's the thing I remember about the Park Hill and Hyde Park, did they ever change

the system of getting rid of your rubbish?

I don't think they did change it but I seem to remember there were bins as well.

Not only that, the rubbish down the sink system, with the exception of the odd blockage and rubbish backing up into peoples sinks and drainage systems (usually caused by abuse of the system by trying to dispose of an item which was too big) worked quite well and many residents liked it.

I don't think they did change it but I seem to remember there were bins as well.

Not only that, the rubbish down the sink system, with the exception of the odd blockage and rubbish backing up into peoples sinks and drainage systems (usually caused by abuse of the system by trying to dispose of an item which was too big) worked quite well and many residents liked it.

I don't think they had bins on the upper decks. They didn't when my sister lived there.

It would take them a month of Sundays to traips up and down the service lifts to empy them

that wasn't already thrown overboard.

Wasn't all this rubbish transferred to some " oven, inferno " that heated the whole block.

That's what we were all told at the beginning of these " beautiful "new blocks of flats,

that they were self sufficient.

I don't think they had bins on the upper decks. They didn't when my sister lived there.

It would take them a month of Sundays to traips up and down the service lifts to empy them

Wasn't all this rubbish transferred to some " oven, inferno " that heated the whole block.

That's what we were all told at the beginning of these " beautiful "new blocks of flats,

Correct on both counts there ukelele lady.

They only had collections on levels which had access at ground level at the top of the hill. The milk float used to do something similar.

There was an incinerator at the bottom end of the flats near Broad Street where rubbish was burnt to generate heat to heat the flats.

So, the chimney is still there and they certainly incinerated rubbish.

This does not necessarily mean that the flats were self sufficient in heat.

As well as burning their own rubbish from the flats they could have brought in rubbish from all over the City to burn.

Given the size of the flats it would take a lot of rubbish to keep them warm and I suspect that the in-house supply of rubbish would soon be exhausted.

...the incinerator area is/was around the base of the chimney which still exists and can be seen in this previous pic posted by Stuart0742 at post 60.......

Vox's edit of this post to go directly to post #60 does give a view of the chimney, but it is much more prominent in post #63.

Just scroll down a couple of posts from the link.

Guest transit

So, the chimney is still there and they certainly incinerated rubbish.

This does not necessarily mean that the flats were self sufficient in heat.

As well as burning their own rubbish from the flats they could have brought in rubbish from all over the City to burn.

Given the size of the flats it would take a lot of rubbish to keep them warm and I suspect that the in-house supply of rubbish would soon be exhausted.

...wonder if the larger Sheff Council Incinerator on Bernard Rd (around a mile away) also helped if, and when needed !??

Guest plain talker

What happened to deal with the rubbish generated on Hyde Park and Park Hill and Kelvin flats was that the caretakers had little electric wagons (like a scaled down milk float) which trailed the big round paladin bins (the huge bins on wheels) along the landings on bin day. (not everything would go down the Garchey waste disposal systems successfully) there was no traipsing back and forth. the caretakers had carts which accessed each deck, and collected the rubbish.

You put your rubbish outside your flat door in bags, and the caretakers came along on bin-morning (thursday I seem to remember in HPF) and they collected it all up into these big bins, (well, that rubbish that wasn't thrown over the landings by the mindless idiots, that is!)

the Broomhall flats and the High-rise flats like Lansdowne and Norfolk Park had a different method for the rubbish. They had Chutes, either communal (eg Norfolk Park, and Broomhall) or indvidual to the flats (Lansdowne/ martin Street etc) through which to dispose of their rubbish.

and yes, in the early years, the park hill incinerator dealt with the waste from PHF and HPF quite well.

The Kelvin Flats had their own incinerator at the far end of the complex near the bottom of (Whitehouse road?) here, anyway http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Infirmary+Road,+Sheffield&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=19.196147,39.506836&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Infirmary+Rd,+Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire+S6,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.394417,-1.488637&spn=0.001065,0.004823&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.394414,-1.488636&panoid=HoIKb3N2McqaZvPWe0N8nw&cbp=11,185.29,,0,5.9

What happened to deal with the rubbish generated on Hyde Park and Park Hill and Kelvin flats was that the caretakers had little electric wagons (like a scaled down milk float) which trailed the big round paladin bins (the huge bins on wheels) along the landings on bin day. (not everything would go down the Garchey waste disposal systems successfully) there was no traipsing back and forth. the caretakers had carts which accessed each deck, and collected the rubbish.

You put your rubbish outside your flat door in bags, and the caretakers came along on bin-morning (thursday I seem to remember in HPF) and they collected it all up into these big bins, (well, that rubbish that wasn't thrown over the landings by the mindless idiots, that is!)

the Broomhall flats and the High-rise flats like Lansdowne and Norfolk Park had a different method for the rubbish. They had Chutes, either communal (eg Norfolk Park, and Broomhall) or indvidual to the flats (Lansdowne/ martin Street etc) through which to dispose of their rubbish.

and yes, in the early years, the park hill incinerator dealt with the waste from PHF and HPF quite well.

The Kelvin Flats had their own incinerator at the far end of the complex near the bottom of (Whitehouse road?) here, anyway http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Infirmary+Road,+Sheffield&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=19.196147,39.506836&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Infirmary+Rd,+Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire+S6,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.394417,-1.488637&spn=0.001065,0.004823&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.394414,-1.488636&panoid=HoIKb3N2McqaZvPWe0N8nw&cbp=11,185.29,,0,5.9

Should have guessed you would know the routine on the flats plaintalker lol

You have described the refuse disposal system on Park Hill exactly as I remember from when my grandmother used to live there. ;-)

Guest plain talker

Should have guessed you would know the routine on the flats plaintalker lol

You have described the refuse disposal system on Park Hill exactly as I remember from when my grandmother used to live there. ;-)

Of course, DaveH. There isn't a lot I don't know ;) lol

Of course, DaveH. There isn't a lot I don't know ;) lol

Well, I know I can rely on you to explain the fine details of Sheffields's blocks of flats.

I bet if you were a musical composer all your pieces would be in A-flat lol

(The old ones are the best, - I'll get my coat!)

Well, I know I can rely on you to explain the fine details of Sheffields's blocks of flats.

I bet if you were a musical composer all your pieces would be in A-flat lol

(The old ones are the best, - I'll get my coat!)

You were Sharp with that one Dave.

Rest assured that my Major concern regarding your Diminished responsibility is only Augmented in a Minor way.

You were Sharp with that one Dave.

No vox, it's G you were sharp with that one Dave lol

As enharmonically G sharp is the same as A flat ;-) on a scale of equal temprament

No vox, it's G you were sharp with that one Dave lol

As enharmonically G sharp is the same as A flat ;-) on a scale of equal temprament

We have Bach to thank for that.

Guest ChrisBBC

Hi,

My name's Chris Boreham, I'm posting from the BBC in the hope you could help us with some research for an upcoming BBC Two history series.

The Reel History of Britain is a 20-part series on BBC Two, hosted by Melvyn Bragg, in which we will be telling the history of modern Britain through archive film footage. Throughout the show we'll be travelling around the country in the UK's last mobile cinema (a '60s Bedford van with a 22-seat tiered cinema in the back) showing people footage of life as their parents, grandparents and even younger selves might recognise it.

One of the episodes is focussing on the housing redevelopment projects post-WWII, in particular Park Hill. I was hoping to speak with anyone who lived or worked there about their memories of the flats, their opinions of the redevelopment and what remains from the original project.

If you're happy to talk, my number is 0161 244 3507. Failing that you can always email me at christopher.boreham@bbc.co.uk.

Thanks for your time.

Regards

Chris

Latest Parkhill photo's from the BBC Radio Sheffield website

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/sheffield/hi/people_and_places/newsid_9429000/9429268.stm

Latest Parkhill photo's from the BBC Radio Sheffield website

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/sheffield/hi/people_and_places/newsid_9429000/9429268.stm

I liked this picture in a public photographic display in the windows of Castle House

Here are a few photo's to update the progress as at today (23/3/11)

Taken from the bottom of South St

The scaffolding is where the contractors are installing the feature Spiral Staircase

Taken from further up South St

Taken from duke St

With all the money they're spending on it, they could have just disguised it and made it look like a nice building.

Here's few photo's I unearthed today, some are the view from Gran's flat window,she lived on Long Henry for many years. The rest are random shots of the building. Forgive the quality..they are old !

img002.jpg

img001.jpg

img003.jpg

img004.jpg

img009.jpg

img010.jpg Note the trains leaving the station...any idea's which they are ?

Jan