Park Hill Flats in Sheffield

Sheffield History

post-1-1175867676.jpg

PARK HILL FLATS & PARK HILL ESTATE

Did anyone used to live on Park Hill flats ?

Obviously a really well known building in Sheffield and thousands of Sheffielders must have lived on here at some point..

That's a pic I took today - most of the place is boarded up ready for the huge improvement works going on there

Guest plain talker

Did anyone used to live on Park Hill flats ?

Obviously a really well known building in Sheffield and thousands of Sheffielders must have lived on here at some point..

That's a pic I took today - most of the place is boarded up ready for the huge improvement works going on there

hi, this is my first posting, here...

got a mad passion for the history of our wonderful city.

brilliant and atmospheric photo, thanks, "Admin"

I spent a lot of my formative years on Norwich Row, on the Park Hill development, where my grandparents lived.

We had a wonderful, grandstand view, directly over the Midland train station, from my nan and granddad's balcony, which was absolutely fantastic when "big-name" trains like the Flying Scotsman, or the Duchess Of Hamilton came through.

Sunday afternoon, memories... lunch at nanna's,(roast beef and yorkshire pud, and then for pudding, Nestles "shaky" tinned Cream and tinned mandarin oranges, usually in jelly) followed by a walk in the "collery" (sic...= Cholera) grounds with my much-loved granddad.

Ahhh, happy days

PT

Strange one - but do you remember how the concrete felt ?

I remember it was really coarse and sharp on the edges - so if you run your hands down an edge or corner of it it felt like it was going to cut you.

Specifically the concrete you can see here at the front of the flats towards the bottom of the picture

I lived on Norwich Row, in the late 1970's.

Although people looked down on the flats, I actually enjoyed my time living there.

Welcome to SH PT, good to see you here...

Guest Rachy

My Auntie and Uncle still live there right at the top, which is going to be the last stage to be done. They used to live on Norwich over looking the Station but had move for the redevelopments.

I only live up the road too so I see it every day pretty much.

Guest mattchiz

Strange one - but do you remember how the concrete felt ?

I remember it was really coarse and sharp on the edges - so if you run your hands down an edge or corner of it it felt like it was going to cut you.

Specifically the concrete you can see here at the front of the flats towards the bottom of the picture

I remember been told that the concrete degradation up there is far greater and quicker than they ever planned when it was built

Guest plain talker

I remember up at the very top end, nearer Talbot Street, there was a "built-in" concrete playground, with concrete tunnels and a concrete slide.

The edge of the concrete slide used to cut the crease at the back of my knee, when I was a kid, because I was afraid to slide, quickly, down the stupid (! ) thing properly. I'd try to slow myself down, slide down with my knees over the edge, like a wally, and it'd slice into my leg. I'd go home, crying, many a time, as a tot. lol.

Guest transit

I remember up at the very top end, nearer Talbot Street, there was a "built-in" concrete playground, with concrete tunnels and a concrete slide.

The edge of the concrete slide used to cut the crease at the back of my knee, when I was a kid, because I was afraid to slide, quickly, down the stupid (! ) thing properly. I'd try to slow myself down, slide down with my knees over the edge, like a wally, and it'd slice into my leg. I'd go home, crying, many a time, as a tot. lol.

Used to go there during lunchbreak from St Johns school - running down Manor Oaks Rd ,calling in the Barracuda chipole on City Rd, then eating them in the concrete tubes if it rained. Did all this, and got back to school within an hour! These days would take me about 3!

Used to go there during lunchbreak from St Johns school - running down Manor Oaks Rd ,calling in the Barracuda chipole on City Rd, then eating them in the concrete tubes if it rained. Did all this, and got back to school within an hour! These days would take me about 3!

Was the Barracuda the chippy near the chemist just below Park Baths/Library?

Talking of Duke Street, Park Hill, Talbot Street does anyone remember the doctors surgery at the end Manor Oaks Road, before Park Hill Medical Centre was built?

Guest transit

Talking of Duke Street, Park Hill, Talbot Street does anyone remember the doctors surgery at the end Manor Oaks Road, before Park Hill Medical Centre was built?

YES! I remember the doctors old place run by Dr"s Wallace and Frogget . It was a converted terraced house in the middle of a row of about 5 or 6 and the waiting room was the original front lounge! The site now has a large chemist there. Dr Wallace was still our doctor at the new place ,till around 1990 when he retired. Incidently we recently saw him at Whiston and looked well (must be in his 80"s).

Was the Barracuda the chippy near the chemist just below Park Baths/Library?

Yep

It's still there too

So many people remember the Barracuda - why is that ??

Guest transit

Yep

It's still there too

For me ,it was their curry sauce which did"nt have "bits"in it!

Yep

It's still there too

Used to go to Park Baths and get chips and grave before walking home to the Wybourn.

Before that I can recall going with my parents to get chips and chicken, and walking home to the Wybourn... chips and chicken seemed exotic at that time (1968ish).

Guest Rachy

For me ,it was their curry sauce which did"nt have "bits"in it!

hahah, the curry is the only nice thing from there, the rest is rank these days. Not what it was.

BTW it is on Duke Street not City Road.

What is/was the Tetleys pub called which was at the end of Manor Oaks Road, built on to the end of the long row of maisonettes.

I always recall seeing the pub sign with the bloke wearing a riding had and red hunting coat.

Guest transit

What is/was the Tetleys pub called which was at the end of Manor Oaks Road, built on to the end of the long row of maisonettes.

I always recall seeing the pub sign with the bloke wearing a riding had and red hunting coat.

That would be the " Earl Francis " which i think may still be there. Played them at pool several times (for Cricket Inn) during 80"s. I know it was still their during the maisonettes major re-design during the 90"s- will be going past on Friday when i go to see whats left of my old school -St Johns on Manor Oaks Rd- after it has been burnt down about a month ago.

Guest plain talker

Yes the building of the Earl francis pub is still there, showing what the "penthouses" brickwork and windows looked like on hyse park terrace and HP walk, before the refurb, about 15 yrs ago.

It's looking a bit dilapidated and neglected, these days, sadly.

Guest Rachy

Aye, wish it was still open, has to be better than the New Inn at times.

I slightly remember playing football with the lads on a Sunday afternoon outside the Francis when I was about 3.

Guest transit

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_04_2007/post-157-1176919842.jpghttp://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_04_2007/post-157-1176919842.jpg

Guest transit

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_04_2007/post-157-1176919842.jpg-w

Pictures taken today showing the sorry state of the Earl Francis on Manor Oaks Rd. Just like a concrete shell - cant see it being renovated- totally gutted inside.