Park Hill Flats in Sheffield

Sheffield History

Here's few photo's I unearthed today, some are the view from Gran's flat window,she lived on Long Henry for many years. The rest are random shots of the building. Forgive the quality..they are old !

Jan

Thanks for sharing those maisere, some excellent historical pictures

Thank you for posting the old photogrphs maisere,

like you say "note the trains"

The original pictures show the typical ageing of colour photographs where the red layer dyes change making the reds go brown and other colours to take on an orangish tint, almost a reduction in colour temperature effect.

These days with photoshop and the like this can be easily corrected once the photos have been scanned and digitised, - restoring the colours close to their original tones.

Nice work Steve, certainly made it look more natural and it seems to have brought out more detail as well.

The one in the first picture appears to be one of the A4 class Pacific locomotives like the Mallard, Sir Nigel Gressley and Union Of South Africa.

Perhaps one of our transport experts can fully identify this one.

The one in the first picture appears to be one of the A4 class Pacific locomotives like the Mallard, Sir Nigel Gressley and Union Of South Africa.

Perhaps one of our transport experts can fully identify this one.

Based on the fact its blue, that narrows it down to either Mallard or Sir Nigel Gresley

2 clues to identify it further

Lack of side skirt and the length of the nameplate

This makes it Sir Nigel Gresley.

Based on the fact its blue, that narrows it down to either Mallard or Sir Nigel Gresley

2 clues to identify it further

Lack of side skirt and the length of the nameplate

This makes it Sir Nigel Gresley.

Brilliant piece of deduction Stuart.

I take it that the Union Of South Africa would have an even longer nameplate but it would be painted green instead of blue.

Thanks for the clean up Steve, and thanks for the reply ref the trains !.

I have more stuff of Gran's to sort out and no doubt there will be more photo's

I will share any of interest

Jan

Guest plain talker

Love the shot of the train in the train station. I think I mentioned on a previous post about watching the trains from my grandma's top floor flat balcony. (Norwich Row) the pics above must have been taken from the High 140's to the 160s, of Long Henry Row, as it's about the same position as my gran's was above. (gran's was 155 Norwich row)

In fact I bet I was standing with my mum, dad, sister and grandparents, on my grans balcony, at the very time of that picture being taken!!!

I remember the trees which now obscure the view up to my gran's old flat being as small as they were on the photo.

I'm fighting back tears of nostalgia as I look at the photos, and type this post, as it brings back so many memories of being at my grans as a schild.

Guest jpbody

I know this thread hasnt been used for a good while and its my first time on here but does anybody know of anyone still living on Park Hill? I'm trying to do a photographic project on the area and could do with some first hand accounts of the area/ portraits. Or even from people who used to live there. Would be very grateful for any help. I have ventured up there but as some other people have mentioned, its not the most welcoming of places now.

I know this thread hasnt been used for a good while and its my first time on here but does anybody know of anyone still living on Park Hill ? I'm trying to do a photographic project on the area and could do with some first hand accounts of the area/ portraits. Or even from people who used to live there. Would be very grateful for any help. I have ventured up there but as some other people have mentioned, its not the most welcoming of places now.

Hello and Welcome jpbody, most topics are available for re-igniting - it isa history site, after all.

Can't offer any help myself, but I hope somebody can assist. Keep us updated please.

Guest bladepaul_98

My aunt & uncle lived on hague row overlooking the pavement from the front door and overlooking what was ponds forge before the leisure centre, used to go down south st towards the canal and on to the old rag & tag past violet mays, My gran lived on long henry row at the duke st end, remember the old church ruins where the park medical centre is now, we used to run up the hill from St Pauls to see her at dinner time. that was when the housing rent office was on pond hill opposite the old queens head.

How many of us will say " told you so " but do they listen?

First thing that came into my mind

Guest plain talker

No commercial interest from me either but I am wondering why none of these links give any prices

That usually means they are going to be ludicrously expensive.

As in "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it...!"

Guest plain talker

Middle Picture, left, and Top picture, right are an almost identical view over the Parkway Tavern/ train station as we had from my gran's flat. Gran lived on Norwich Row, near the corner (number 155).

The trees on the old Bungay street, between the flats and the station (As per top right pic) are now far too big to allow you to see the station from what was my gran's balcony. It was always exciting being at my gran's when one of the special trains like Mallard or Flying scotsman came to the train station becasue the view from her flat was directy over the station. We had a grandstand view.

MY honorary aunt and uncle, Aunty grac and Uncle Sonny Craven lived immediately above the Parkway Tavern on Long Henry Row (three hundred and something I think)

As in "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it...!"

May not be that we can't afford it, more likely that if they told me the price the resonse would be, -

"HOW MUCH!!!! :blink: :blink: :blink: !!!"

"For an ex council flat on Park Hill!!! :o :o :o "

"You must be joking!" <_<

Guest plain talker

May not be that we can't afford it, more likely that if they told me the price the resonse would be, -

Well, there is that, lol, but I am biting my tongue (biting it so hard I am drawing blood, in fact) when it comes to my political stance on the iniquities of the sale of council housing.

Give us a clue ...