If you could make a movie about sheffield's past..

Sheffield History

What would it be like ?

What would you feature the movie around specifically ?

What story would you tell ?

Go here http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...p?showtopic=848

Read that lot, that's your storyboard, riots (the original Horse barracks were built to garrison troops out in the country i.e. Whitehouse Lane), poverty, Rev Wilkinson having his rooks scared and his books burnt, the development of the trades trade, the MASSIVE expansion of the city, famous old buildings being pulled down, and equally famous ones taking their place, my favourites The Blue Coat Charity school boys, Charles Peace.

Sorted

Now can we discuss the budget and my fee ? :rolleyes:

I'll play the Reverend Wilkinson - I think I have the motivation to be angered by a scaring of my rooks

lol

I'll play the Reverend Wilkinson - I think I have the motivation to be angered by a scaring of my rooks

lol

Don't mock rook-scaragementness - used to be a major problem !

You can do the cussing and swearing and the boxing bit then, oh, and the head-shaking, Old Niddlety Nod ?

Guest tsavo

What would it be like ?

What would you feature the movie around specifically ?

What story would you tell ?

The Sheffield Gang Wars. The Mooney Gang v Percy Shillitoe. See post Sheffield Celebrities, Maurice Coulbourne

Don't mock rook-scaragementness - used to be a major problem !

You can do the cussing and swearing and the boxing bit then, oh, and the head-shaking, Old Niddlety Nod ?

This will be you then Admin ?

PictureSeffield.com

Surely a movie has to be made about the Sheffield Flood. There are so many stories within the

disaster and I think it is still Englands largest peace time loss of life.

Surely a movie has to be made about the Sheffield Flood. There are so many stories within the

Good work Dobberd, well thought of ... and Welcome and do you have a photo of the Redgates store showing the sign ? You could be a hero here if you have ! :rolleyes:

Good work Dobberd, well thought of ... and Welcome and do you have a photo of the Redgates store showing the sign ? You could be a hero here if you have ! :rolleyes:

Ha, I have just spent a day trawling through all the sites I know with Sheffield connections.

But as yet to no avail. will keep on trying tho :rolleyes:

Ha, I have just spent a day trawling through all the sites I know with Sheffield connections.

Good Man/Woman, we've all trawled as much as we can trawl, your status here would go from Newbie to God-like-Person to bow and wimper before-type person, indeed more respected in this Forum than Admiral Lord Nelson wearing Churchill's wellies :rolleyes:

After a prompt from dobberd (off list) I've managed to find this picture with Redgates on the left.

It's from "Sheffield Corporation Tramways" by Kenneth Gandy, Published: 1985, ISBN: 0 086321 032 5

The caption says:

"Cars at Moorhead leaving and entering the Furnival Street line during the visit of the Queen Mother to the Town Hall on 17th may 1958"

Picture by R.F.S.Wiseman

Great picture !!

Not seen that before so many thanks for digging that one out..

(bet you can't find the one from the one round the corner near eyres st/arundel gate roundabout !!

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Did you ever read a novel by Charles Reade called "Put Yourself in His Place"? This was based on the Sheffield Outrages in which Bill Broadhead was the villain, and, of course, as it took place in the early to mind 1860s, it also featured the Sheffield Flood. The book, being written in Victorian times, is not the sort of novel you would get if it had been written 50 years or more later, but it was still very good, and it made one think that the story could easily be adapted to make a superb film.