William Fisher

Guest JSP

Hi,

I'm new to this site as I am researching the Fisher family history. I was wondering if anyone had any interesting info or photographs of a Mr. William Fisher. I understand that there was both a W. Fisher senior and a W. Fisher junior. Both of which were in the ivory trade.

William Fisher, among many other titles, was Mayor of Sheffied in 1854 and chairman of the Free Library. He is turning out to be a very interesting and important ancestor! I have read his obituary and seen he is mentioned in 'The Hallarmshire Worthies' book.

Any information would be much appreciated. :)

Hello and Welcome to the Site; hopefully we can find some useful information for you.

William Fisher (born 23rd August 1780, died 29th November 1861)

http://www.picturesh...ff.refno=s08733

The Late William Fisher Esq., of Norton Grange, Mayor 1854 (this is William, Junior). Picture from 1880 or thereabouts - he died 1880.

http://www.picturesh...ff.refno=s08630

William Fisher Horn, haft & scale presser Orchard Place

William and Robert Fisher Merchants, ivory, bone and horn dealers, haft and scale pressers, umbrella and parasol hook makers Orchard Street

1828-9

William Fisher Horn Merchants Orchard Place

William Fisher Ivory Merchants and Dealers Orchard Place

William Fisher Merchants, Factors and Manufacturers Orchard Place

William Fisher Horn, haft & scale & umbrella & parasol hoop manufacturer and ivory, stag Orchard Place; h. Woodside

William Fisher Bone merchant Orchard Place

William Fisher Haft & scale presser & dealer Orchard Place

William Fisher Horn merchant & dealer Orchard Place

William Fisher Ivory, tortoise-shell, pearl & fancy wood merchant & dealer Orchard Place

William Fisher Umbrella & parasol hook manufacturer Orchard Place

William Fisher (& Sons) Haft & Scale Presser(s) & Dealers (Horn) Orchard Place

William Fisher (& Sons) Horn Merchants and Dealer(s) Orchard Place

William Fisher (& Sons) Ivory, tortoise-shell, pearl & fancy wood merchant & dealer Orchard Place

William Fisher (& Sons) Horn haft & scale & umbrella hook manufacturers & ivory, tortoise 27 Orchard Palce

William Fisher Jun. Horn, ivory &c. merchant h. Belmonte

William Fisher Sen. Horn, ivory &c. merchant h. Woodside

William Fisher (& Sons) Horn haft, scale and umbrella hook manufacturers and ivory, tortoise 27 Orchard Place

William Fisher Jun. Horn, ivory &c. merchant h. Belmonte

William Fisher Sen. Horn, ivory &c. merchant h. Woodside

William Fisher (& Sons) Horn & bone dealers & manufacturers of horn handles & scales Orchard Place

Hi,

I'm new to this site as I am researching the Fisher family history. I was wondering if anyone had any interesting info or photographs of a Mr. William Fisher. I understand that there was both a W. Fisher senior and a W. Fisher junior. Both of which were in the ivory trade.

William Fisher, among many other titles, was Mayor of Sheffied in 1854 and chairman of the Free Library. He is turning out to be a very interesting and important ancestor! I have read his obituary and seen he is mentioned in 'The Hallarmshire Worthies' book.

Any information would be much appreciated. :)

Hi JSP and welcome. You mention the entry in Hallamshire Worthies. Have you actually seen it? If not, it's here.

There's also an entry for a Harry Fisher from the same family.

Hallamshire Worthies. Have you actually seen it? If not, it's here.

Don't even remember scanning and posting that. Nice link fairie work !

Speaking of Harry Fisher, I only actually discovered him last week. Is much known about him? I know he made spring knives and razors but no nothing more!

Just had a look at the Cutlers Company website to see if there was a mention of Harry. No sign, but I did find this

"The Cutlers' Company Charitable Trust ( No. 224063)

After appropriate discussion with the Charity Commission on 14 April 2008, a new scheme known as The Cutlers' Company Charitable Trust came into being, which governs within a single charity, the charities formally known as Jane Fisher's Gift, The Company of Cutlers in Hallamshire Welfare Trust and The Stuart Goodwin Charity.

The object of the charity is the relief of persons resident in South Yorkshire who are in need, hardship or distress. The Trustees are drawn from the Members of the Cutlers' Company."

Just had a look at the Cutlers Company website to see if there was a mention of Harry. No sign, but I did find this

"The Cutlers' Company Charitable Trust ( No. 224063)

After appropriate discussion with the Charity Commission on 14 April 2008, a new scheme known as The Cutlers' Company Charitable Trust came into being, which governs within a single charity, the charities formally known as Jane Fisher's Gift, The Company of Cutlers in Hallamshire Welfare Trust and The Stuart Goodwin Charity.

The object of the charity is the relief of persons resident in South Yorkshire who are in need, hardship or distress. The Trustees are drawn from the Members of the Cutlers' Company."

That is interesting! I've consulted my family tree and there appears to be no mention of a Jane. However it is not unusual in my research for the Fisher family to set up a trust, for example the William Fisher trust (still in operation) and the Eleanor Fisher trust (ceased in 2004). Your research is much appreciated!

JP

A couple of bits and pieces you may already have;

“Up to 1692 there is no evidence of any local interest [in Sheffield] in either the buying or writing of books; James Fisher’s short description of the peculiar illness of the girl Martha Hadfield, which was published in London, is the only surviving book written in Sheffield before that time.”

(From Sheffield, its story and its achievements by Mary Walton)

From Reminiscences of Sheffield in the 18th Century by R.E.Leader (1901)

“John Fisher, son of the Vicar evicted from the Sheffield Parish Church in 1662, and brother of Mrs. Timothy Jollie senior, was a surgeon here; and the date of his death, 1685-6, makes it possible that he may have been the john Fisher repeatedly mentioned in the Burgery accounts as renting rooms in the old Workhouse, part of which, being larger than required by the Overseers, was let off as tenements.”

“Robert Fisher rented a part [of the old Workhouse] in 1638. In 1660 it was agreed “ that Mr. James Fisher shall have and enjoy such rooms at the workhouse as were formerly in the occupation of Mr. Whittaker, under the yearly rent of three poundes.”

Church Lane

“...Below this, on the site of the Sheffield and Hallamshire Bank, came a well-built and respectable-looking house, with palisades in front, and with a fine old staircase. In this house, John Fisher, grandfather of the late Alderman William Fisher, lived. Behind it was a productive garden, in which, in addition to the commoner fruits, grapes grew on the walls.

Behind the garden, with Orchard Place between, were the horn-pressing works of Mr. Fisher. A very fine pear tree, a survivor of Brelsforth’s orchards, long remained growing by the entrance gate. After Mr. John Fisher, who died in 1820, his sons Robert and William (the latter a fine old politician and reformer) occupied the house. When the Fishers went to live away from their works – Mr. Robert Fisher to Pitsmoor, and Mr. William Fisher first to Eyre street and then to Woodside – Mr. John Stacey, merchant, occupied their house, and from him it passed to the Sheffield and Hallamshire Bank.

But the works at the back were retained by the Fishers, and are still carried on, though the trade has changed its character, by their descendants. “

After Mr. John Fisher, who died in 1820, his sons Robert and William (the latter a fine old politician and reformer) occupied the house. When the Fishers went to live away from their works – Mr. Robert Fisher to Pitsmoor, and Mr. William Fisher first to Eyre street and then to Woodside

Where he died on!

29 November 1861

Decease of William Fisher Esq. Woodside, Pitsmoor, aged 81.

On 29/07/2010 at 12:28, RichardB said:

Hello and Welcome to the Site; hopefully we can find some useful information for you.

William Fisher (born 23rd August 1780, died 29th November 1861)

http://www.picturesh...ff.refno=s08733

The Late William Fisher Esq., of Norton Grange, Mayor 1854 (this is William, Junior). Picture from 1880 or thereabouts - he died 1880.

http://www.picturesh...ff.refno=s08630

Norton Grange, Bunting Nook, junction of Matthews Lane, formerly known as Hill Top. Built 1744

Picture Sheffield s22389

published in Sheffield History Reporter compiled by Mike Sp*ck Dec 2007/Jan 2008

IMG_20221212_144410.thumb.jpg.7f3701102d7af6cf5bf41c5802a462b9.jpg

Norton Grange  image below taken from Sheffield Illustrated Vol II

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s05370&pos=13&action=zoom&id=8775