Viewing Google Maps

hilldweller

I'm hoping one of you computer buffs will be able to answer this noddy question.

It concerns viewing Google Maps on my little netbook. Despite working in electronics / computing for more time than I care to remember, it's got me stumped.

It's got something to do with the touchpad and when I'm looking at a aerial view the map suddenly starts panning rapidly to the west and nothing I can do will arrest it's flight. I start out looking for a part of Sheffield and the next thing I'm flying over Lancashire, Ireland and the Atlantic Ocean. I did think of waiting till I'd circumnavigated the world but I wouldn't know how to stop it when Sheffield comes around again !

Any ideas anyone ?

hilldweller.

I'm hoping one of you computer buffs will be able to answer this noddy question.

It concerns viewing Google Maps on my little netbook. Despite working in electronics / computing for more time than I care to remember, it's got me stumped.

It's got something to do with the touchpad and when I'm looking at a aerial view the map suddenly starts panning rapidly to the west and nothing I can do will arrest it's flight. I start out looking for a part of Sheffield and the next thing I'm flying over Lancashire, Ireland and the Atlantic Ocean. I did think of waiting till I'd circumnavigated the world but I wouldn't know how to stop it when Sheffield comes around again !

Any ideas anyone ?

hilldweller.

Do you mean Google earth

I have just tried both Google Earth and Google Maps on my netbook.

yes I can get easily get Google Earth panning, but am able to stop this by left clicking

Can not get Google maps to pasn at all

Do you mean Google earth

yes I can get easily get Google Earth panning, but am able to stop this by left clicking

More than likely Google Earth.

Google Earth has a "fly to" mode, Google maps doesn't.

Do you mean Google earth

Not tried Google Earth, I'm having trouble with Google Maps. I'm sure it's to do with all the fancy functions built into the touchpad (Samsung NC10). I've tried right clicking, left clicking, clicking all around the page, but once it starts rolling it's off until I close Google Maps. Weird !

HD

Not tried Google Earth, I'm having trouble with Google Maps. I'm sure it's to do with all the fancy functions built into the touchpad (Samsung NC10). I've tried right clicking, left clicking, clicking all around the page, but once it starts rolling it's off until I close Google Maps. Weird !

HD

Like you say weird, Google maps seems ok to me

Like you say weird, Google maps seems ok to me

Definately Google Maps, no problem with same program on my desktop. If I disable the touchpad and use a mouse then no problem either. I think that I must be triggering some strange mode. I've noticed that you can use various double finger gestures on the touchpad to zoom in and out, (no-not that double finger gesture). Also taps and double taps produce some strange effects. Too damn clever for me !

HD

HD

If you think it's your computer laptop touchpad causing the problems you could try attaching a mouse and using that to see if it cures the problem.

If you think it's your computer laptop touchpad causing the problems you could try attaching a mouse and using that to see if it cures the problem.

Sorry Hilldweller, I hadn't read your latest post before replying to your previous one.

Seems like the problem is definately the touchpad.

Problem with fancy modern designs is that they try to be too clever in what they can do, with the result that they they don't actually do what you want them to do.

Sorry Hilldweller, I hadn't read your latest post before replying to your previous one.

Seems like the problem is definately the touchpad.

Problem with fancy modern designs is that they try to be too clever in what they can do, with the result that they they don't actually do what you want them to do.

When all else has failed, read the instruction book !!!

It seems that my touchpad has both vertical & Horizontal scrolling although only the vertical scrolling is marked on the right-hand edge of the pad. If my finger strays near the bottom of the pad when I'm moving the image it starts to pan and the program keeps going. The pad is small enough without 25% of it being out of bounds. I've had a look in mouse properties but there doesn't seem to be an option to change it.

Anyway at least I know what's going on.

HD

It's a little Samsung NC10 and it runs XP Home at the moment and if it keeps working it will be running XP until William Gates Esq withdraws support in 2014.

My lifes maxim------------if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Nice little machine, good keyboard, only snag is the Atheros wifi card which didn't like my new Netgear router.

However a nice guy on the Sammy owners forum told me to disable the "power down wireless on in-activity" option and since then it works a dream.

It's got a shiney "piano black" lid which shows fingermarks like mad but if you don't look for them the're not a problem.

I think it's been replaced now by something very similar.

HD

It's a little Samsung NC10 and it runs XP Home at the moment and if it keeps working it will be running XP until William Gates Esq withdraws support in 2014.

Nice little machine, good keyboard, only snag is the Atheros wifi card which didn't like my new Netgear router.

However a nice guy on the Sammy owners forum told me to disable the "power down wireless on in-activity" option and since then it works a dream.

It's got a shiney "piano black" lid which shows fingermarks like mad but if you don't look for them the're not a problem.

I think it's been replaced now by something very similar.

HD

I spoke too soon, it lost contact with the t'internet again a short time ago, I've at long last worked out that it goes dollally when one neighbour or other switches their router on (I wish they'd leave the damn things on). I have tried channels 1, 6 & 11 but no improvement. I tried a download of Netstumbler but it only shows my channel number, not theirs. Does anyone know of a free sniffer that does display channel numbers ?

HD

I spoke too soon, it lost contact with the t'internet again a short time ago, I've at long last worked out that it goes dollally when one neighbour or other switches their router on (I wish they'd leave the damn things on). I have tried channels 1, 6 & 11 but no improvement. I tried a download of Netstumbler but it only shows my channel number, not theirs. Does anyone know of a free sniffer that does display channel numbers ?

HD

Hang on hilldweller,

This sounds a bit like hacking into someone else's computer network :o

Is this "Netstumbler" legal?

...it runs XP Home at the moment and if it keeps working it will be running XP until William Gates Esq withdraws support in 2014.

HD

Brilliant maxim hilldweller, wish you were working for Microsoft.

There was nothing wrong with Windows 95 was there!

Microsoft would be silly to withdraw support for XP in a few years, as it remains their most successful and most popular operating system to date. Although Microsoft would like it otherwise, you can still get new computers with XP by the demand from customers who have rejected the later systems of Vista / 7.

Unfortunately for Microsoft, having sold the world an excellent operating system they are left with the problem of what to do next. At present they can offer us new gimmicks and presentation screens, but nothing new that is actually practical, different and useful. OK it will impact on their profits, but they should stick with what they have to offer that people like and will actually use rather than try to FORCE something new on us just to resell us the same old stuff.

Having said that, I like the new Windows 7 system.

Hang on hilldweller,

This sounds a bit like hacking into someone else's computer network :o

Is this "Netstumbler" legal?

It's very widely available and I suppose it has a legal purpose in showing what public wireless networks are available.

I don't think it would enable you to log into an encrypted network. All I want to do is to find out what channels my neighbours networks are on so that I can avoid them. When their routers are only switched on intermittently it makes it very difficult to make a choice.

HD

It's very widely available and I suppose it has a legal purpose in showing what public wireless networks are available.

I don't think it would enable you to log into an encrypted network. All I want to do is to find out what channels my neighbours networks are on so that I can avoid them. When their routers are only switched on intermittently it makes it very difficult to make a choice.

HD

I thought that wireless enabled computers, especially those running XP / Vista / 7, did this anyway without the need for extra software.

I thought that wireless enabled computers, especially those running XP / Vista / 7, did this anyway without the need for extra software.

As Dave says XP should sort it all out for you, but you could check your wi fi settings just incase the the goblins have been touching your netbook

from the "Wireless Network Connection " screen (where you see the list of available networks

towards the left is a link called "Change order of preferred Networks" click this link

This allows you to prioritise your preferred networks by moving them up and down a list, you may only use 1, if so remove any others

Just above the OK/Cancel buttons is an advanced button click this.

This box has 4 choices make sure the top choice is selected

Close then ok the previous screen

You should now only auto connect to your preferred networks, even though you will see others.

As Dave says XP should sort it all out for you, but you could check your wi fi settings just incase the the goblins have been touching your netbook

from the "Wireless Network Connection " screen (where you see the list of available networks

towards the left is a link called "Change order of preferred Networks" click this link

This allows you to prioritise your preferred networks by moving them up and down a list, you may only use 1, if so remove any others

Just above the OK/Cancel buttons is an advanced button click this.

This box has 4 choices make sure the top choice is selected

Close then ok the previous screen

You should now only auto connect to your preferred networks, even though you will see others.

In my version of windows (XP Home Edition) the top choice is marked "Any available network (access point preferred)

I have got it presently set to choice number 2 "Access Point (Infrastructure) Networks Only.

HD

In my version of windows (XP Home Edition) the top choice is marked "Any available network (access point preferred)

I have got it presently set to choice number 2 "Access Point (Infrastructure) Networks Only.

HD

My Netbook is running XP Home

Try the top choice, thats whats selected on mine, it should only Automatically connect to preferred networks then.

It was originally set to choice number 1, so I tried it on choice number 2. I haven't changed any other parameters and touch wood it's now behaving impecably. It even allows me to put the netbook into sleep mode and connects again straightaway when it works up. Before, this was guaranteed to disconnect it from the t'internet.

Thanks for all the help. :)

HD