Tormentor

RichardB

So, just what was a "tormentor" during the period 1812-14 please ?

Bonus points for stating why the "thousands of casks" of them suddenly started moving again.

Guest SuzyC

Bonus points for stating why the "thousands of casks" of them suddenly started moving again.

Well.... "tormentor" is Spanish for storm, is it anything to do with events in the Peninsula War, Storm Troops?? From my rusty history I think the British, under Wellington, were involved during 1812 - 1814 (in fact the Wellesley family still have a lovely estate not far from us as a gift from the grateful Spanish). The thousand casks are a mystery, could alcohol be involved :P or were they used for concealment of something? I hope you´ll put us out of our misery soon. :blink:

What´s the answer Richard please???

In the years 1812, 13 and 1814, until the peace opened the trade with Holland, thosands of casks of these "Malay knives" with lignum vitae handles and cast-iron blades, were made at Sheffield, where the workmen called them "tormentors", from an idea that they were intended for dirks and scalping knives.

"Nothing comes amiss to the men of metal !

They would supply knives to cut their own throats for a con-si-der-a-tion !"

In the years 1812, 13 and 1814, until the peace opened the trade with Holland, thosands of casks of these "Malay knives" with lignum vitae handles and cast-iron blades, were made at Sheffield, where the workmen called them "tormentors", from an idea that they were intended for dirks and scalping knives.

"Nothing comes amiss to the men of metal !

They would supply knives to cut their own throats for a con-si-der-a-tion !"

How interesting, was well out with my Sheffield Storm Trooper idea :(