Collegiate Orchestral Society

RichardB

Originally met in Mr. Arthur Wilsons music rooms in West Street; moving to Mr. Erard's rooms in Fargate in the late 1890's.

Conductor Samuel Suckley, though dates unknown.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bonus question (the answer is on here somewhere, though I can remember the answer, I've no idea where/when it was posted) :

What was Arthur Wilsons (of Wilson Peck fame) real name ?

Originally met in Mr. Arthur Wilsons music rooms in West Street; moving to Mr. Erard's rooms in Fargate in the late 1890's.

Conductor Samuel Suckley, though dates unknown.

Bonus question (the answer is on here somewhere, though I can remember the answer, I've no idea where/when it was posted) :

Samuel Suckley makes a brief appearance in the St Phillip's Church topic as organist from 1877-1879.

The only biographical detail (scanty, to say the least) I have found so far is from Music Web International:

"Samuel Suckley's first recorded appearance in Doncaster was in 1863 as a pianist in a concert put on by the 1st West York Yeomanry Cavalry (later called Yorkshire Dragoons). By 1880, if not earlier, he had succeeded to the position of Bandmaster to the Dragoons which he was to hold with the rank of Lieutenant, into the next century. Suckley was also an organist in Sheffield; I have found a reference to his resignation from the post at St Paul's Church, in 1891 (He also composed: a polka, Marguerite, a "Novelty Allegro" The Jolly Blacksmiths, the concert waltz Yorkshire Dragoons (1889), the Sandringham Valse (1891: published by Forsyth), the waltz Elsie (1893, dedicated, "by permission", to the Prince and Princess of Wales), the intermezzo Dora and the Jubilee Rocket Allegro, presumably dating from 1897. He too programmed Jullien's music, the Sleigh Ride appearing in concerts conducted by him in 1880 and 1896."

Source: http://www.musicweb-international.com/garlands/10th.htm

Henry Mushett