Sheffield Road Haulage C1920 Bernard Parkes

steveparkes

I am trying to trace some info on my grandfathers haulage business his name was Bernard Parkes and he operated in sheffield after WW1. I don't know much more than that. He's pictured next to his impressive flat based truck registration WA 104. WA was one of the prefixes for sheffield Thanks

I am trying to trace some info on my grandfathers haulage business his name was Bernard Parkes and he operated in sheffield after WW1. I don't know much more than that. He's pictured next to his impressive flat based truck registration WA 104. WA was one of the prefixes for sheffield Thanks

Welcome to Sheffield History Steveparkes.

Hope you enjoy the posts on here and that we can be of some assistance with your grandfathers business.

WA was indeed a Sheffield registration prefix.

You got my attention with a title on 1920's Road Haulage as at that time most road haulage of heavy goods was still been done by steam, and as my mothers family were doing exactly that in the 1920's (they were travelling showmen) my own real passion is steam traction on the road.

I am not that well up on old internal combustion engined vehicles which your grandfather clearly owned.

What type of vehicle is it?

That radiator looks a bit like a Scammell

..and look at that starting handle!

Bet that took some swinging over compression to get the engine started!

Hi Dave

Thanks - I have subsequently learnt that the truck was based on an old army vehicle - not sure how much of it he adapted himself, but the radiator is similar to a Shefflex. Have found elsewhere the following which seems to make sense... The "Sheffield Simplex Company" was contracted by "Commer Commercial Cars" to build trucks during the 1st World War, as Commer were at full capacity, but when the war ended the contract was terminated, but Simplex contained to market the surplus trucks built in Sheffield as Shefflex.

But still looking to find out what he hauled and where he was based. How long did your fanmily continue with road steam haulage - I assume travelling showmen where some of the last?

Welcome to Sheffield History Steveparkes.

Hope you enjoy the posts on here and that we can be of some assistance with your grandfathers business.

WA was indeed a Sheffield registration prefix.

You got my attention with a title on 1920's Road Haulage as at that time most road haulage of heavy goods was still been done by steam, and as my mothers family were doing exactly that in the 1920's (they were travelling showmen) my own real passion is steam traction on the road.

I am not that well up on old internal combustion engined vehicles which your grandfather clearly owned.

What type of vehicle is it?

That radiator looks a bit like a Scammell

..and look at that starting handle!

Bet that took some swinging over compression to get the engine started!

Apparently it is a Saurer (according to the Old Classic Car website)

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/saurer-truck.htm

my grandad had three shefflexs, one flat front two with bonets, said they where not very good, had to keep half shafts under seats ,for spares,they where built not far from s harrisons yard