Workshops & Residences On Arundel St.

Guest David Corn

Guest David Corn

Hi all,

Thanks again for the info on the “court houses”.

I had family (Hancock and Bell families) who were at 39 Arundel Street Sheffield in the mid 19th century. The 1851 census shows 7 people living at that address, including 3 children and one servant and my great grandmother was born at that address. Trade directories show “Hancock Thomas and Co, pen & pocket knife & razor manufacturers” at that address.

I understand from the photos of Arundel Street and some of the remaining buildings from that era that this address probably would have been a 3 story building (I don’t think this building is there today). There must have been hundreds of similar circumstances in Sheffield at that time.

My query is how did this work as a residence and business at the one address? I assume that part of the building was a workshop (small scale)? Was there also a display and/or sales area? Would others have come in each day to work there? How many persons would such a business have employed?

Many thanks for any information.

David

(I don’t think this building is there today).

39 Arundel Street as shown on the 50's OS map,

It may have survived until Arundel Gate & the Sheffield Polytechnic were built,

I think that was in the mid 60's?

Link to OS map #4

Link to an out of date Flash Earth

Take a look at the 2 links to the Libraries website below, unless I'm mistaken, the building next door to Vulcan Furniture should be no.39 Arundel Street (with the arch above the entry)

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s12977

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s20032

Hi all,

Thanks again for the info on the "court houses".

I had family (Hancock and Bell families) who were at 39 Arundel Street Sheffield in the mid 19th century. The 1851 census shows 7 people living at that address, including 3 children and one servant and my great grandmother was born at that address. Trade directories show "Hancock Thomas and Co, pen & pocket knife & razor manufacturers" at that address.

Thomas Knight vict. Arundel Castle 39 Arundel Street

Townsley (& Co) Pinafore Manufacturers 39 Arundel Street

George Wing manufacturer of bread platters 39 Arundel Street

Mrs Lily Hillier Silver buffer 39 Arundel Street Harry Nicholson Die sinker 39 Arundel Street; h. 13 Argyle Road, Meersbrook

Townsley (& Co.) pinafore manufacturers 39 Arundel Street

Alfred Williams Table knife manufacturer 39 Arundel Street

William Hayllar overall Manufacturer 39 Arundel Street Mrs Lily Hillier Silver buffer 39 Arundel Street

J Kidder (& Co. Ltd.) handle, cap & ferrule manufacturers 39 Arundel Street

Joseph Marples Joiners' tool manufacturer 39 Arundel Street; h. 60 Asline Road

Harry Nicholson Die sinker 39 Arundel Street; h. 13 Argyle Road, Meersbrook

William Wheatley Cutlery manufacturer 39 Arundel Street